Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 06:02 AM   #1
Forum Member

DSLR trade-in experience with Amazon

(I hope this is the correct forum for this post; moderators, please move as appropriate.)

Weeks ago I read a thread at PentaxForums about Amazon trade-in paying almost as much for a K-500 as the current selling price of a new K-50 (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/298427-k-500-owners-...0-instead.html), Having a seldom used K-X as my alternate/backup camera, I priced the trade in for that. $240 for a "good" condition sounded like a good deal (with the K-50 selling for around $300), so off went my K-X and 18-55 DA L and all original accessories (even batteries), in excellent condition. (The K-X had a shutter count less than 5000, and the 18-55 generally sat on a shelf because I already had a Sigma 17-70 for it when I bought this camera.) All functions checked out properly before I sent it. I listed it as good even though it met almost all of Amazon's "like new" conditions, because I was missing the original box, and the paper manual had a number of bent pages.

In a few days I heard from Amazon trade-in (a contractor actually; matching addresses it appears to be Noram International Partners, Inc., in Kentucky, which appears to be a fairly large handler of used and refurbished electronics for Amazon). The trade in was rejected because (quoting Amazon) "lens is damaged" (no further elaboration). So I wondered if it was damaged in transit or if the trade-in facility damaged it, and waited for it to be returned (something which, I realize now, might not quite be guaranteed, given the "fine print" of the trade in contract).

The K-X arrived back, thankfully in what seems, so far, to be the same condition I sent it. No lens damage, everything seems to work. The shutter count was the same as when I sent it. Given how it was bubble wrapped (just as originally wrapped by me), I'm not even sure they took it out of the inner of the double-box packaging I used.

I want to share some insights gleaned from the process:

1. There are other online complaints about Amazon trade in that mention "returned due to damage" but on return to sender the original owner can't find the damage claimed by Amazon ("small sample" warning applies in interpreting these complaints).

2. Meanwhile, the trade-in offer amounts make no sense. Amazon offered $240 for the K-X and 18-55. But if I also had included a 55-300 DA L, the offer would have done down considerably (for K-X and both lenses only around 160 for "like new," less for "good"). Plus $240 is about $100 or more higher than offered by Keh, B&H, and even most Ebay sales for a K-X and 18-55.

3. One guess is that the pricing algorithms for trade-ins are not well crafted, and so incorrect offers ensue. Perhaps rejecting good items as damaged is a way of negating the original high trade-in offer. Or else there is simply a very high degree of randomness or ignorance in the decisions of whoever it is who opens and inspects a trade-in shipment.

4. Amazon Trade-in return packaging to me was risky. I originally shipped the K-X and accessories double-boxed. The first box was a thin-walled Pentax DSLR box, with bubble wrap around everything inside. This was placed in larger, heavy carton and surrounded with air-packs and bubble wrap. What Amazon returned to me was merely the the thin-walled Pentax DSLR box, stuck in a soft side, plastic padded/bubble bag. So there was very little rigidity to the packaging. At least, however, my original bubble wrap around the camera itself appeared to still be in place. I've seen complaints by others have reporting that they received items back loose in a box (and others have reported not receiving everything back--though a "small sample" warning applies in these cases).

Anyway, that's my experience with Amazon trade-in. Your mileage might vary. Obviously for some people (like the K-500 PF poster) the process works smoothly.

Last edited by Lititz; 07-10-2015 at 02:33 PM. Reason: Corrected typing error.
07-10-2015, 07:24 AM   #2
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Lititz Quote
One guess is that the pricing algorithms for trade-ins are not well crafted, and so incorrect offers ensue. Perhaps rejecting good items as damaged is a way of negating the original high trade-in offer.
That would be my guess also. I'm completely speculating here, since this is the first I've heard of this program and know nothing about it, but if it went to some contractor I'm guessing the "trade-in" program is actually a way for third-party used dealers to acquire product semi-automatically (and without input on the price) and so returning it as damaged is their only option when they are being asked to overpay for something. (So basically your deal was too good to be true.)
07-10-2015, 09:44 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Very enlightening, and thanks for sharing. I guess it's a case of, "if it sounds too good to be true..."

I find it interesting that this place is in Kentucky. The Global Shipping Program that eBay uses for international shipments is also in Kentucky, and is also known to engage in some shady business practices. Sounds like a similar kind of logistics clearinghouse type operation where they make money on the volume of transactions, but some eggs get broken along the way.
07-10-2015, 10:20 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Don't think Amazon is the only one. Read my experience with another popular store: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/137-photographic-industry-professionals/2...ed-lenses.html.

07-10-2015, 12:20 PM - 1 Like   #5

I have dealt successfully buying and selling with KEH
07-10-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

(I hope this is the correct forum for this post; moderators, please move as appropriate.)

Weeks ago I read a thread at PentaxForums about Amazon trade-in paying almost as much for a K-500 as the current selling price of a new K-50 (see https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/298427-k-500-owners-...0-instead.html), Having a seldom used K-X as my alternate/backup camera, I priced the trade in for that. $240 for a "good" condition sounded like a good deal (with the K-50 selling for around $300), so off went my K-5 and 18-55 DA L and all original accessories (even batteries), in excellent condition. (The K-X had a shutter count less than 5000, and the 18-55 generally sat on a shelf because I already had a Sigma 17-70 for it when I bought this camera.) All functions checked out properly before I sent it. I listed it as good even though it met almost all of Amazon's "like new" conditions, because I was missing the original box, and the paper manual had a number of bent pages.

In a few days I heard from Amazon trade-in (a contractor actually; matching addresses it appears to be Noram International Partners, Inc., in Kentucky, which appears to be a fairly large handler of used and refurbished electronics for Amazon). The trade in was rejected because (quoting Amazon) "lens is damaged" (no further elaboration). So I wondered if it was damaged in transit or if the trade-in facility damaged it, and waited for it to be returned (something which, I realize now, might not quite be guaranteed, given the "fine print" of the trade in contract).

The K-X arrived back, thankfully in what seems, so far, to be the same condition I sent it. No lens damage, everything seems to work. The shutter count was the same as when I sent it. Given how it was bubble wrapped (just as originally wrapped by me), I'm not even sure they took it out of the inner of the double-box packaging I used.

I want to share some insights gleaned from the process:

1. There are other online complaints about Amazon trade in that mention "returned due to damage" but on return to sender the original owner can't find the damage claimed by Amazon ("small sample" warning applies in interpreting these complaints).

2. Meanwhile, the trade-in offer amounts make no sense. Amazon offered $240 for the K-X and 18-55. But if I also had included a 55-300 DA L, the offer would have done down considerably (for K-X and both lenses only around 160 for "like new," less for "good"). Plus $240 is about $100 or more higher than offered by Keh, B&H, and even most Ebay sales for a K-X and 18-55.

3. One guess is that the pricing algorithms for trade-ins are not well crafted, and so incorrect offers ensue. Perhaps rejecting good items as damaged is a way of negating the original high trade-in offer. Or else there is simply a very high degree of randomness or ignorance in the decisions of whoever it is who opens and inspects a trade-in shipment.

4. Amazon Trade-in return packaging to me was risky. I originally shipped the K-X and accessories double-boxed. The first box was a thin-walled Pentax DSLR box, with bubble wrap around everything inside. This was placed in larger, heavy carton and surrounded with air-packs and bubble wrap. What Amazon returned to me was merely the the thin-walled Pentax DSLR box, stuck in a soft side, plastic padded/bubble bag. So there was very little rigidity to the packaging. At least, however, my original bubble wrap around the camera itself appeared to still be in place. I've seen complaints by others have reporting that they received items back loose in a box (and others have reported not receiving everything back--though a "small sample" warning applies in these cases).

Anyway, that's my experience with Amazon trade-in. Your mileage might vary. Obviously for some people (like the K-500 PF poster) the process works smoothly.
I traded in my Nikon gear through Amazon and got the Pentax K3. I take care of everything, so I rated my gear as Like New, but it came back saying it was only Good (mainly because I didn't have boxes for the lenses, and they said there were minor scratches on the lenses that didn't affect picture quality). So I sent it back in as Good, and got what I wanted.

One thing to note, quoting my camera with the kit lens together came out to less than quoting them separately. So I quoted them separately and got almost $80 more.
07-10-2015, 01:32 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well it looks like I have a similar return coming back on a K-7 with 18-55 WR lens. I kept checking the trade in price until it peaked and sent in the camera at a trade in value of $436.44. It seemed like a good deal from a respectable company (amazon), although the shipping label was to AFS in Hebron KY. I have now just received notice that he camera has been rejected for (you guessed) damaged bundled lenses. I will just have to hope the camera makes it back in the same condition I sent it. Definitely a word of warning to anyone thinking of trading in. It may be time for a letter to Amazon.
07-10-2015, 01:40 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah. Since the gray-market lens that I received from Amazon.com, I've been very wary of dealing with them AT ALL. Apparently they're just like a big box store (they really don't know anything about what they're selling) but with worse customer satisfaction and return policies (Walmart is actually quite good in that respect, though others are not). Now Ricoh actually carries an Amazon-specific warning on their authorized-retailer-download page. I guess Ricoh is too chicken to tell Amazon to make it clear or pack it up.

Last edited by fredralphfred; 07-10-2015 at 01:42 PM. Reason: Clarity on re-read
07-10-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I fell for their scam (my opinion) shipped them a working camera and lens. Majorly flawed was their opinion and returned with no offer. Like above this was when the offer was at the peak.

I tested the camera and it was working fine just like when I sent it in so I sold it on Craigslist and have not heard single complaint. The buyer had a bill of sale with name and number.

I think they jack up the offer price, take the low bids and return the others.
07-10-2015, 03:06 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
That would be my guess also. I'm completely speculating here, since this is the first I've heard of this program and know nothing about it, but if it went to some contractor I'm guessing the "trade-in" program is actually a way for third-party used dealers to acquire product semi-automatically (and without input on the price) and so returning it as damaged is their only option when they are being asked to overpay for something. (So basically your deal was too good to be true.)

Yes, I've seen a few other comments elsewhere online that this is how third-party used dealers and "refurbishers" obtain what they later sell.

The turnaround from the trade-in contractor was quite quick--the rejection was made the day after tracking showed the camera's arrival at the trade-in facility. So other than the contractor itself, I don't see what other reseller could have looked at it and rejected it.

I also specified the "return if downgraded" option rather than the "I'll take less money if Amazon downgrades the quality" option when trading in. The latter choice seemed far too open ended and subject to abuse.

None of this would have bothered me if (1) Amazon simply told me "Sorry, we made an error in the offer" or "Sorry, we realized we've got too many of these," rather than the dubious downgrading, and (2) the return packaging were better. Given the poor packaging, at this point I'm just glad the item is back in my hands in working condition.
07-10-2015, 04:11 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I should dare them with the K-r I bought on eBay with 70 shutter count. Their claim of its value is $102-155 and it truly is like new. I won't give them a lens to reject
07-14-2015, 02:17 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well I have a tracking number for the return of the K-7 generated at 9:09 AM yesterday. A little worried as no updates since but the UPS web site is indicating delays in Louisville KY due to the weather (hopefully that is all). Interesting to note that UPS appears to be reusing tracking numbers, as the status also says package was delivered in Baltimore MD on January 30 2014.
07-14-2015, 03:17 PM   #13

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Well I have a tracking number for the return of the K-7 generated at 9:09 AM yesterday. A little worried as no updates since but the UPS web site is indicating delays in Louisville KY due to the weather (hopefully that is all). Interesting to note that UPS appears to be reusing tracking numbers, as the status also says package was delivered in Baltimore MD on January 30 2014.
I just had great experiences to sale my older staff with BH photo
Trade in department
All went smooth and fast
But I have very negatively experience to receive my
New camera from Amazon
They delivery not by ups with signature
But my usps leave 1000$ box in mail box never left
Any notes to the door
Few day before big mail box new my house was broken
Post office leave notes not leave any staff overnight
So same time they leave my box almost overnight
I finally find out where is my staff only next day
I try call Amazon they told me we can't control everything
I was lucky camera box was fine
07-16-2015, 10:36 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Just collected my K-7 from customer pickup at the UPS depot. Just like Lititz the only packing was a thin plastic bubble mailer envelope around the Pentax retail box (I had it wrapped in multiple layers of bubble wrap in a second box). Mine had definitely been opened, as the battery was no longer in the small bubble wrap bag I used, and there was a check list on the box of the included accessories. Everything seems to be undamaged (thankfully) but the box is a little worse for wear.

At this point I am just glad to have it back in one piece. Now to decide if I want to sell it (realistically for less money), or keep it and forget about upgrading for a bit. I thought Amazon may have been offering more as they were guaranteed to get the money back by paying with a gift card. I guess I learnt my lesson.
07-16-2015, 11:23 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
At this point I am just glad to have it back in one piece. Now to decide if I want to sell it (realistically for less money), or keep it and forget about upgrading for a bit. I thought Amazon may have been offering more as they were guaranteed to get the money back by paying with a gift card. I guess I learnt my lesson.
I had a decent experience with Amazon trade-in for an old iPad -- they indeed offered more than other outlets, but in this case they honored it. It was smooth and uneventful, and I received the credit I was promised. I think I sent it to that same Kentucky location.

This was after I had tried to trade it in with Apple's partner. They were the ones who jerked me around (said I took too long to return it despite having sent it 2-3 days after getting their return mailer) and reduced the offer by a large amount, so I had them send it back to me.

Trade-in seems to be fairly hit-or-miss. I think the lesson to be learned is DON'T EVER allow them to adjust the value without getting your authorization first.