Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2015, 08:33 AM   #1

I have k-x and looking for a flash... or a new body?

Hello, I have k-x and looking for a flash.

I've seen a past thread about it but it was from 2011 and information is probably outdated.
It was talking about pTTL... I saw that it pre-flash (?) to measure the exposure before it shoots the final flash.
Is there a TTL that's compatible with kx?

I've had kx for 7 years but only recently started to use it this year and started using manual mode.
As I learn more, I feel like I'm wanting more out of the camera and thinking about upgrading.
Should I upgrade the camera before I get into getting a flash?
I feel like there aren't much options for kx, and if I buy something now, I might have to get something else again once I upgrade the body.

07-10-2015, 08:49 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
PTTL flashes are the norm these days, and they're the only flashes that will provide full automation with modern DSLRs. A good starter flash would be the Pentax AF201FG. The Metz 52 is also an affordable fully-featured flash with both tilting and swiveling.

I'd recommend upgrading the body to take advantage of improved image quality and faster performance, but you don't need to do it for the sake of flash compatibility unless you plan to use features such as wireless flash. Take a look at the K-50:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/298846-k-50-294-95-b-h.html

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-10-2015, 09:50 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I use a Sigma EF500 DG Super with my K-r. I set the camera to manual and set the shutter speed, f-stop, and ISO myself. What this does is force the flash to measure the light and determine how long it stays on. The back of the flash says pTTL when on but it operates without the pre-flash. The camera settings I use the most are 1/125 sec, f8, and ISO 400 or ISO 600. I use the higher ISO to shorten the time between flash charges and because I use a bounce card.

Examples

Tim
07-10-2015, 10:02 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
PTTL flashes are the norm these days, and they're the only flashes that will provide full automation with modern DSLRs. A good starter flash would be the Pentax AF201FG. The Metz 52 is also an affordable fully-featured flash with both tilting and swiveling.

I'd recommend upgrading the body to take advantage of improved image quality and faster performance, but you don't need to do it for the sake of flash compatibility unless you plan to use features such as wireless flash. Take a look at the K-50:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/298846-k-50-294-95-b-h.html
The K-x does wireless flash. To the OP if you do want to have wireless options I find the Metz 52 very easy to use and set up. I had the old Pentax AF360 and that was a pain to get going wireless, maybe the new Pentax flashes are easier.