Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2008, 12:26 PM   #1
Forum Member

Flash Question - Turning Off Flash Quickly For a Shot

Just got a Metz 48 AF-1 for my K10D and I've started playing around with it. Love the flash. I've been having lots of fun playing around with it and learning how to use it. The added flexibility of a bounce flash is awesome.

I have a noobie question. When I have my flash attached, what's the proper way of quickly turning off the flash for the next shot? I'm assuming that I just manually turn off the power on my flash or is there a camera setting or button on the K10D?

Sorry for the noobie question but I came from a point and shoot camera before my K10D and there was a dedicated flash button for controlling the flash.

06-15-2008, 09:23 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Hi sweetpapa

Re your question:

QuoteQuote:
When I have my flash attached, what's the proper way of quickly turning off the flash for the next shot? I'm assuming that I just manually turn off the power on my flash or is there a camera setting or button on the K10D?
Assuming I've read this scenario correctly, having taken the first photo using an external flashgun, you wish to employ natural light in the next shot. Should that be the case, simply switch-off the flashgun ! If you don't intend taking further photos with the flash in the foreseeable future, I've always understood it was good practice to fully discharge the flashgun (usually by pressing the test button) immediately before turning it off. If I recall correctly, it's not a wise idea to leave any flashgun in a fully charged-up state before switching it off, because the internal circuitry will still contain a very high voltage, unless you discharge the device ! Hope this info helps somewhat ?

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-15-2008 at 09:28 AM.
06-15-2008, 11:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends if what lighting conditions I'm in. I enjoy the SB mode on my 540 flash (focus assist only). Turning it off through the switch is very convenient too though.

QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
If you don't intend taking further photos with the flash in the foreseeable future, I've always understood it was good practice to fully discharge the flashgun (usually by pressing the test button) immediately before turning it off. If I recall correctly, it's not a wise idea to leave any flashgun in a fully charged-up state before switching it off, because the internal circuitry will still contain a very high voltage, unless you discharge the device ! Hope this info helps somewhat ?

Best regards
Richard
Can anyone confirm? I always figured if the charge could harm the flash unit, they would allow the test button to still function after you turn it off or a discharge mode atleast, but they don't. So I never saw the reason to discharge before switching to "off".
06-15-2008, 11:18 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Depends if what lighting conditions I'm in. I enjoy the SB mode on my 540 flash (focus assist only). Turning it off through the switch is very convenient too though.

Can anyone confirm? I always figured if the charge could harm the flash unit, they would allow the test button to still function after you turn it off or a discharge mode atleast, but they don't. So I never saw the reason to discharge before switching to "off".
If the flash is designed correctly, the circuitry should slowly bleed off the stored voltage in the capacitor when you turn it off. How slowly depends on the design, but I've been shocked by a small flash in a disposable camera after it was stored for a couple months. IIRC, the thing shocked me twice. Of course, if I hadn't taken it apart, it would never have been an issue.

06-15-2008, 11:57 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Hi Avant

I think you may have slightly misunderstood the point I was trying to make , when you said:

QuoteQuote:
I always figured if the charge could harm the flash unit, they would allow the test button to still function after you turn it off or a discharge mode at least.
I wasn't actually implying that by failing to discharge the flashgun, you could possibly harm the unit itself. What I meant was that if you accidentally shorted the contacts of an un-discharged flashgun somehow, there might be a small risk that you could receive an electric shock....seriously though, some units contain sufficient electrical charge (via the capacitor) to kill you. Check out the link below:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/268670-post40.html

Remember folks, please don't try this experiment at home !

Best regards
Richard

Last edited by Confused; 06-16-2008 at 05:41 PM.
06-16-2008, 12:04 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Confused Quote
Hi sweetpapa

Re your question:

Assuming I've read this scenario correctly, having taken the first photo using an external flashgun, you wish to employ natural light in the next shot. Should that be the case, simply switch-off the flashgun ! If you don't intend taking further photos with the flash in the foreseeable future, I've always understood it was good practice to fully discharge the flashgun (usually by pressing the test button) immediately before turning it off. If I recall correctly, it's not a wise idea to leave any flashgun in a fully charged-up state before switching it off, because the internal circuitry will still contain a very high voltage, unless you discharge the device ! Hope this info helps somewhat ?

Best regards
Richard
Thanks, that's exactly what I was trying to confirm.