Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-17-2015, 05:47 PM   #16

In your immediate situation, I'd be tempted to leave the more expensive 50-135mm home and just use the 18-55 WR mounted on the camera. Lead time is now too short for the weekend, but for kayaking I use a dry bag intended for DSLR use. The brand is called 'Overboard' and the model is 'SLR' dry bag. It can be sourced off the web such as from a dive shop. Its a roll top type bag shaped like a dslr holster and includes a shoulder strap and accessory ring.

07-17-2015, 07:47 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't get the responses.

You said you want to take pictures *while* you're tubing, right? So many of these replies are giving you ways to keep your camera dry without being able to use it. I have a better way to do that -- leave it at home.
07-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #18
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote

You said you want to take pictures *while* you're tubing, right? So many of these replies are giving you ways to keep your camera dry without being able to use it. I have a better way to do that -- leave it at home.
Na I get him. Just like trekking you need a container tp keep it dry in the hairy bits and then you have an opportunity to take images from viewpoints that "sane" people can't access.
07-17-2015, 11:44 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
We will be going tubing this weekend down a local river. Nothing crazy, just floating down and drinking some beverages.
I would really like to bring my K-30 and DA* 50-135/DA18-55WR.

Does anyone have any ideas how i can store them when i'm not using them? I don't have a pelican or anything crazy like that, nor do i have room for it. Right now i'm thinking about getting a couple big ziploc bag's and just keeping them in there when not in use.

There is a pocket in the tube i will be using to hold them, but it's not lidded or waterproof or anything.
Go to any outdoor store and get a dry bag. They come in various sizes, and when closed are waterproof, when open, if you get water in, they will hold it it, that's the down side. Large zip locks are not reliable, and split / leak easily

---------- Post added 07-18-2015 at 02:53 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Ok, i hate to be the debbie downer, but i recommend not taking your DSLR on the river. I ruined my K-5 + 18-135 when my canoe tipped and my gear took a swim. Everyone thinks it wont happen to them, but the risk reward ratio is small. Chances are you will get the same shot with a true waterproof camera as you would tubing down a river.

Just my 2 cents
I kayak frequently with my camera and have done so for over 10 years. Yes, there is always a risk of getting gear wet. In fact my *istD and FA28-105 got totally soaked when I was caught sideways against a rock and water splashed up over the open cockpit into the open dry bag. The camera went nuts, continually triggering the shutter and trying to focus. Pulled the batteries out, dried it as best I could on the river, and when I got out I opened all the covers and left it in the sun for several hours. I still use my *istD and it works fine. Getting it dried out quickly is the key.

The real lesson here is regardless of protection you are always "at risk" when accessing your gear, so you should only access it when you know it is safe, and close your case/bag immediately after. Don't leave it open because it is convenient. Anything that holds water out when closed can also hold water in, making a situation worse than it need be.

On quiet rivers, I don't even bother with a dry bag any more. I am just careful

07-18-2015, 05:41 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
Here's what I ended up getting.
Flambeau 18" Dry Marine Box | DICK'S Sporting Goods

If I'm not comfortable taking it out, it stays in the box.
07-18-2015, 06:43 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Did you even read the OP?
Does anyone have any ideas how i can store them when I'M NOT USING THEM? I don't have a pelican or anything crazy like that, nor do i have room for it. Right now i'm thinking about getting a couple big ziploc bag's and just keeping them in there WHEN NOT IN USE.
-Emphasis mine-
07-18-2015, 08:08 AM   #22
Pentaxian

I always take a pelican case. They make good stools at lunch time as well.

07-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #23
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by rangercarp Quote
Did you even read the OP?

-Emphasis mine-
Yeah, I did. He's IN THE WATER. Do you think he's going to take a camera out of a box while sitting in an innertube, just, what, set the box on the water next to him, take some pictures and put it back in the box without getting it wet?
07-18-2015, 09:25 PM   #24
GUB
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah, I did. He's IN THE WATER. Do you think he's going to take a camera out of a box while sitting in an innertube, just, what, set the box on the water next to him, take some pictures and put it back in the box without getting it wet?
yep except the box will probably be sitting on his belly
07-20-2015, 05:42 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
oh goodness,
theres no reason for everyone to go back and forth about it. I was looking for opinions, all opinions are welcome. Even the ones calling me an idiot for taking my dslr in the river.

Our tubes have a pocket in the center that my drybox fit in perfect, so i was able to open it, grab the camera, take a few pictures and put it back in without having to move the box at all.

The trip is now over, it turned out well. the K-30 and 50-135 survived well, with no issues whatsoever.

heres the tube we used.
Amazon.com: River Run II - Inflatable Float Tube for Two - By Intex: Toys & Games

here are some of the pictures:
the last one is definitally my favorite.

07-20-2015, 12:17 PM   #26

Photos: Gallery
Nice shots. Glad it all worked out.
07-20-2015, 01:06 PM   #27
Veteran Member

Ah! I saw tubing and assumed it was what we did in camp as kids: floating one of these, with our legs out the bottom and our arms on the sides.
07-20-2015, 01:31 PM   #28
Veteran Member

oh goodness,
theres no reason for everyone to go back and forth about it. I was looking for opinions, all opinions are welcome. Even the ones calling me an idiot for taking my dslr in the river.

Our tubes have a pocket in the center that my drybox fit in perfect, so i was able to open it, grab the camera, take a few pictures and put it back in without having to move the box at all.

The trip is now over, it turned out well. the K-30 and 50-135 survived well, with no issues whatsoever.

heres the tube we used.
Amazon.com: River Run II - Inflatable Float Tube for Two - By Intex: Toys & Games

here are some of the pictures:
the last one is definitally my favorite.

Great shots
I hope you do not think I thought you were an idiot for taking your DSLR. I did not mean to imply that you were.
I just wanted to share my experience. I just was bummed when my K-5+18-135mm were ruined and I think that sometimes people think that WR means that their kit can survive a dunking in a rushing river.

Anyway, alls well that ends well
07-21-2015, 06:08 AM   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by cali92rs Quote
Great shots
I hope you do not think I thought you were an idiot for taking your DSLR. I did not mean to imply that you were.
I just wanted to share my experience. I just was bummed when my K-5+18-135mm were ruined and I think that sometimes people think that WR means that their kit can survive a dunking in a rushing river.

Anyway, alls well that ends well

lol, no,
not taken personally, i probally would have told someone else the same thing not knowing what they were doing :-)

I posted looking for opinions and idea's. I'm not the type of person to get offended if someone tells me somethings not a good idea.

we had a ton of fun, and the drybox worked perfect. Much better then a ziploc (or 3) would have worked. Also gave me a place to store peoples cell phones and keys and whatnot.

---------- Post added 07-21-15 at 09:09 AM ----------

Ah! I saw tubing and assumed it was what we did in camp as kids: floating one of these, with our legs out the bottom and our arms on the sides.
yeah, had i had one of those, the DSLR would have stayed in the jeep :-)
08-03-2015, 07:10 AM   #30
Veteran Member

i like that. Let me know how it fits and works, if you can.
I can say with confidence: Get the next size down (WP-S5) if you decide to try one. That's the size they actually recommend for Pentax DSLRs, but I wanted to fit my 50-135 lens in it, and the next size down doesn't look like it can handle a lens that large, where the WP-S10 can. But using any lens *smaller* than that basically means you'll get terrible shots unless it has a hood that's small enough to fit inside the sleeve but large enough to keep the lens centered in the sleeve. The camera rests in the bag a bit below the lens opening, so the lens tends to tilt up and get the black plastic ring in the upper 20% of the image. With the S5 model, that shouldn't happen.

The build quality was pretty good though. It's essentially a big, heavy duty (the material reminds me of inflatable pool floats) ziplock bag that you roll up, with velcro to ensure it stays rolled tightly, plus a solid acrylic panel at the end of the lens sleeve that can be screwed off (so that if the camera won't fit in the bag with the lens attached, you can put the body in without a lens, and then insert the lens through the sleeve and then screw the cap with the clear acrylic window back on)

The S10 model might actually fit the 645 body. It's quite large. It gave me a place to put my phone and wallet, though - under the camera body to help prop it up.