Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 09:52 AM   #16
Marketplace Reseller

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Your estimates are way way low. 55 bucks might be right if it's the f2 rikenon lens, but for the 1.4 85-115 bucks is a common ending price if the optics are good, as it is considered to be one of the desirable Tomioka designs. 30 bucks for the lens paired with the camera is insultingly low.
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You did not say what the asking price is for this kit. Here is my breakdown:

TLS 401 w/Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4, no more than $55 USD with the low being about $30 USDfor the pair. This is sort of a mixed deal and depend heavily on the condition of the body. The lens is generally worth less than $40 USD with the body as a giveaway. OTOH, the body, if in unusually excellent condition is of interest to collectors.

The value of the other lenses and accessories is on the low end. I would suggest $45 or less for the lens lot by itself if in decent condition. For the camera and all lenses, about $75 USD.

FWIW, I own the Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4 and while it has its strengths (fast, nice build, relatively sharp), it also is prone to "hot spot" reflection off the rear element. I would rate it a notch below the ST 50/1.4 and equivalent to f/1.4 Japanese lenses of similar vintage (late 1960s) and construction from Mamiya/Sekor, Yashica, and Fuji. To be honest, I prefer my Auto-Rikenon 50/1.7.

Reviews of the Auto-Rikenon 55/1.4 are split between two sections of this site*:
Ricoh Auto Rikenon 55mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Ricoh Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

Auto Sears 55mm F1.4 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Good luck on your purchase decision!

Steve

* My review of the 55/1.4 seems to have disappeared

07-19-2015, 07:31 PM   #17
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Used A3000 Kit deal

After a few wrong turns, I arrived at the home of the fellow who was selling his old Pentax A-3000 film camera along with - which I was more interested in - two zoom lenses that came with it.

The kit included not only the A3000, which is a real brick of a 35mm celluloid burner,...

but a genuine PENTAX-A Zoom 1:4 35-70mm:

.......and a "Slide trombone" 70-210mm both of which seem to be in decent shape.

I put the 35-70 on to my K-100D and took a couple of pictures with it, which came out a little out of focus but otherwise all right. I suspect the difference in focal length between the film and digital lenses might account for that, and I'm pretty sure I can compensate for it in the settings.

As an extra bonus the deal included a VIVITAR 2X expansion tube which is actually a little lens, complete with contact points, a hot shoe flash unit with diffuser, a funny little grip rig, and a usable tripod - although the crank that raises the central post seems to be stripped out, the legs lock up solidly.

Several manuals were included in the package and he even threw in a couple of rolls of film.
I might have to try running one of them through the A3000 just for the heck of it.

The camera has a couple of features that I wish my digital had - like the little split image focusing circle in the middle of the viewfinder, which is a little distracting when composeing but comes in handy for aging eyes.
The self timer is a little switch on the front of the box, which is a lot more convenient than setting it up through an electronic menu - and it works really well.

I'll be experimenting with those lenses on my K-100D and a little later on after the new K-50 arrives, that too.
07-19-2015, 07:41 PM   #18
amateur dirt farmer...

nice score, if you paid a decent price for all of that...
07-19-2015, 08:54 PM   #19
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
nice score, if you paid a decent price for all of that...
He was selling the whole kit for $75, and since it was reasonably clean and in decent condition, I didn't quibble.
The old film lenses require special settings and finagling to work on the digital cameras and as such aren't worth a whole lot, and the film cameras unless they are collectible (which this one is not) are virtually worthless, but these lenses are "A" series or the more advanced ones which will work pretty well on digital without a lot of re programming the fool thing - so I don't think I got scorched too bad, especially considering all the other little dingle-doodles and fru-fraws that came with the package.

07-19-2015, 10:18 PM   #20
Forum Member

Don't overlook the flash, that model is said to work in the auto modes well on Pentax DSLR's.

Rick
07-19-2015, 11:26 PM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleJaque:

I put the 35-70 on to my K-100D and took a couple of pictures with it, which came out a little out of focus but otherwise all right. I suspect the difference in focal length between the film and digital lenses might account for that, and I'm pretty sure I can compensate for it in the settings.
Focal length is the same on film, digital. Don't get confused by the fact that the field of view i a narrower on the apsc camera's. Also focus can be tricky on manual focus due to the screens lack of brightness and split prism.
07-20-2015, 08:20 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
Focus

Thanks Uncle V.;
"Split prism" - I knew that thing on the A3000 viewfinder had a name.
With my aging eyes I have had a heck of a time getting decent focus with my 100D and even then found I have to focus a little in front of my subject in order to get it to come out right.
When doing macros on flowers etc. I get it in focus then lean back about a half inch before taking my shot, and that usually compensates for it.
Bifocals don't help much, and if I try to take a shot with sunglasses on, forget about it!

I'm looking forward to the "Live View" feature on the K-50, which I'm hoping might help with focusing issues.
Wish we could get an electronic version of the split prism in these DSLRs.
The LV ought to simulate how my little Optio W-80 pocket rocket works - for a pocket digital that little guy takes passing fair pictures, and I still carry it with me as a back up in case the DSLR pitches a fit of some sort and goes down - as it occasionally does.

That's kind of like packing a revolver in case your rifle jams up.
07-20-2015, 08:53 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
You're gonna' really like the Pentax-A 70-210mm lens. It's exceptionally sharp with great color. Or, at least mine is.

07-20-2015, 06:06 PM   #24
Forum Member

Original Poster
Heritage Lenses in Auto Mode

The experimentation continues.

Mounted the KA 35-70 on the K-100D this Morning, and couldnt' figure out why the aperture ring stopped just shy of going over to the green "A" auto setting.

The prism / pop up flash housing overhangs the rear of the lens somewhat obstructing my view and access to it.

Took a couple of pictures in manual mode, with somewhat disappointing results. The display reads AV even though I have it set on "M", and about the only way I can get a decent exposure is by tweaking the shutter speed and ISO settings. The camera does not seem to want to set an f-stop for me.

In further diddling with the aperture ring trying to adjust my f stop, I noticed a tiny little stud sticking up just to the left of the "A" mark.
I had assumed that this was just a little dingus you could hook a fingernail on to to get a grip on the ring to turn it with, but when I fiddled with it it had a little "spring" to it. When I pushed on it it went down into the ring.
Not only did it press in, but when I turned the ring with the little dingus (which I now realized is really a tiny button) depressed, the ring would now freely turn past it's stop on to the "A" setting.
When I let up on it, it locked the aperture ring in place.
Viola! Day of discovery!

Now I started shooting stuff in Auto mode, with pretty decent results. If a shot looked overexposed, I held the AV [+/-] button down and wound the rear whiz wheel (e-dial) down a few EV points to compensate.

So far I'm really impressed with the clarity and sharpness of the images I'm getting with the 35-70; rivaling or surpassing the quality I'm getting with my new DA 18-55mm Zoom.

Here's my poodle through a $35 vintage film camera lens:

Not all that bad, eh?

These images have been reduced in size quite a bit so probably lost some definition, but that's not bad glass in my humble estimation.

---------- Post added 07-20-15 at 09:25 PM ----------

It takes a while to get used to the operation of this lens; you push the rubber coated sleeve forward to zoom in on something and then twist it to focus.

I'm not so sure I like the clarity of image quite so well as I do with the 35-70, but I have yet to shoot much more than a few experimental test shots with it.

You can't shoot too close to your subject and expect to get much of it in the frame.
I had to back up half way across the lawn to get my Wife's hastas in the picture.

Here's another one of "Spooch" the foolish poodle:

As you can see the back lighting caused the poodle, who was standing in the shade of the maple tree, to be a little underexposed.
I could compensate with EV, but the background gets washed out into a bilious yellow.

I had the ISO set for 400, and that seems to have made the auto exposure set my shutter speed down quite a bit. You can see the wind moving the pup's ear.

I wonder if a filter might help that yellowing effect - do you suppose?

As far as clarity and definition though, it's not bad glass... especially considering the price. I don't think I could take much better pictures with a $500 lens, do you?

A real Professional could probably tell the difference - but that's hardly what I am!

07-25-2015, 09:06 PM   #25
Forum Member

Original Poster
If I crank that VIVITAR Tele-Converter on to the long lens will I end up with a 420mm telephoto lens on the cheap?
07-25-2015, 09:16 PM   #26
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Uncle Jaque Quote
If I crank that VIVITAR Tele-Converter on to the long lens will I end up with a 420mm telephoto lens on the cheap?
That is technically true. However the wide open f/stop will increase by 2 - so an f/4 would become f/8 and an f/5.6 would become f/11. If your wide open lens is slower than f/2.8 it will likely have difficulty focusing. Also the quality of 2x extenders - even the very best - is often no better than simply cropping the image to the size you would have gotten. Even 1.4x converters struggle at times to do better than cropping. Mediochre and bad extenders are worse than cropping.
07-25-2015, 09:54 PM   #27
Lens Buying Addict

You got a very nice deal there - high quality gear. The 70~210 alone in good condition is worth $75.

I gently suggest you read the two lens manuals that came with your kit. For instance, they would have explained operation of the Automatic Aperture Locking pin.

The flash remains quite capable even by today's standards for most uses.
07-27-2015, 05:47 PM   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
Another Combo from the Lens Junk Box

An old manual 50mm prime, onto which I screwed a Pentax Close Up lens thinking to make a macro lens out of it.

Not sure that it's working out all that well - having focusing issues.

When set to infinity it will focus about 3 feet out. Can get within about 4" of subject, and can't seem to get a really sharp image for some reason - but it was interesting.