Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2015, 09:17 AM   #1

Shutter speed range

I've been thinking that a shutter speed range would be a nice auto exposure variable in the menu.

So I'm wandering about in the yard for some macro snapshots. I like AV mode because aperture is the most defining composition variable. Usually set the auto iso to 100 to 800, because I basically want zero visible noise. But sometimes you wander into shaded area and the shutter speed drops below acceptable speed for the focal length using the camera handheld. It would be cool to set a bottom shutter speed, and only then will iso rise above your normal selected range. Using TaV mode you can run into over exposure. I realize if you really want the shot you head over to manual to get things perfect, but I still think this could be a handy feature.

07-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
I've been thinking that a shutter speed range would be a nice auto exposure variable in the menu.

So I'm wandering about in the yard for some macro snapshots. I like AV mode because aperture is the most defining composition variable. Usually set the auto iso to 100 to 800, because I basically want zero visible noise. But sometimes you wander into shaded area and the shutter speed drops below acceptable speed for the focal length using the camera handheld. It would be cool to set a bottom shutter speed, and only then will iso rise above your normal selected range. Using TaV mode you can run into over exposure. I realize if you really want the shot you head over to manual to get things perfect, but I still think this could be a handy feature.
The problem I usually encounter in TAv mode is changing from shaded area to open bright area where the shutter speed exceeds 1/8000. The other problem with Av mode is the minimum shutter speed (if there is a way to configure in Av mode a minimum shutter speed it will be perfect). However, I think there is a way to get around that, although not the same, that is to set the program line to sports/speed and set ISO sensitivity to fast. It seems to work quite well especially with AF lenses. With m42 lenses when I have to stop-down, I have a tweak a little bit or constantly watch for the shutter speed in the viewfinder.
07-18-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
If the shutter speed go too low it would be because of ISO has maxed out as you have 800 as upper limit.
Try increase upper limit on ISO, and you might want to try to play with auto ISO parameter (slow/normal/fast), as that will change at which shutter speed auto ISO will increase ISO.
07-21-2015, 04:31 AM   #4

Essentially you want to be able to program the "program" setting. I've also pondered this point and realise that it is a hybrid between one of the auto modes (Tv, Ta, Tav) and full program (P). Somewhere one needs either to fully trust the camera to make the decision (P) or else to take charge of the settings. My big concern is that the display in the viewfinder is not visible in bright sunlight, so I am not aware that I am working outside of my determined envelope.