Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-21-2015, 06:59 AM   #1

Low Light Noise

Does reducing the jpeg resolution in the K-3 when shooting in a low light/high ISO situation make for an image with less overall noise? If so, is that offset by the the resolution downgrade? For the purpose of this question we are talking jpegs. I know a raw image with proper post processing will produce the cleanest image.

07-21-2015, 08:54 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Reducing resolution is not a good way to cure a noisy image. The reduced resolution image will appear to have less noise if you zoom in at 1:1. If you compare reduced and full resolution versions on the same size screen or print then you probably won't notice a difference in the noise level.

My preference is to always have the full resolution in case I want a large print or crop. I usually use raw DNG and wait until I'm home at my desktop PC with Lightroom. If I expect to view images before getting home, though, I use DNG + low res JPG. I might look at the JPG files in the field but I discard them when I get home, keeping only the DNG.

YMMV, though. For comparison purposes I suggest putting your camera on a tripod and take test photos of the same scene, only changing the resolution setting between photos. Then view or print the photos however they are going to be used to see the differences.
07-21-2015, 10:20 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

If you are willing to give up some resolution anyway, you may also want to try experimenting with the High ISO noise reduction setting on the K-3. I'm not familiar with the menus on the K-3 but it is probably under one of the record mode menus.
07-21-2015, 10:45 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
If you are willing to give up some resolution anyway, you may also want to try experimenting with the High ISO noise reduction setting on the K-3. I'm not familiar with the menus on the K-3 but it is probably under one of the record mode menus.
The in-camera NR options wash away details, but indeed they also do a fairly good job of dealing with noise.

QuoteOriginally posted by Bunch Quote
Does reducing the jpeg resolution in the K-3 when shooting in a low light/high ISO situation make for an image with less overall noise? If so, is that offset by the the resolution downgrade? For the purpose of this question we are talking jpegs. I know a raw image with proper post processing will produce the cleanest image.
RAW is always going to be the way to go in low light. You just can't beat it. The next best thing, IMO, is to turn off in-camera NR and post-process your JPEGs with good NR software like Topaz DeNoise, etc.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers: