Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2015, 05:19 PM   #1

Replacement for K-7

Hi Everyone,
My K-7 has unfortunately developed a line of missing pixels and I've had a quote for repair at 285+VAT subject to full diagnosis.

Apart from the problem the body is in very good condition but I am a bit loathed to spend so much on this repair as it is 5 years old and am worried about other faults developing. I'm thinking if I purchase a new body I could also benefit from a better/more modern one. I find the choices however a little confusing and wondered if you could give me your points of view?

I never take movies, only stills. I take a variety of subjects, landscape/buildings, nature and motorsport although never portraits and generally I only take photos in reasonable weather and so not worried about having WR. I have been trying some nature shots at dusk time so performance under low light could be important.

My current lenses are:
17-70 DA-SMC SDM
100mm SMC D FA Macro
10-17 SMC DA Fish Eye
Plus an old 75-300mm FAJ which I used with my first DSLR istD camera although I am planning on replacing with a similar but better quality one and also adding a Pentax 1.4x teleconverter

Here's what I am thinking:
K-S2 - better pixels and looks good but I wouldn't use the Wi-Fi and similar features
K3 - much bigger step in price and not sure my level of photography would really benefit
K3 II - not keen on the idea of Geo replacing an inbuilt flash which I find can be handy
K-500 & K-50 - both seem pretty similar to my K-7 and so I then wonder whether to just have mine repaired after all

I like the look of the Flucard which I could use to set up on a remote tripod and monitor on my iPad, say at a bird table in the back garden.

It's all a quandary, so any and all input would be most welcome.
Thanks
Liz

07-22-2015, 05:28 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
K30/k50/ks2/k3

Take your choice
07-22-2015, 05:39 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Lize Quote
Hi Everyone,
My K-7 has unfortunately developed a line of missing pixels and I've had a quote for repair at 285+VAT subject to full diagnosis.

Apart from the problem the body is in very good condition but I am a bit loathed to spend so much on this repair as it is 5 years old and am worried about other faults developing. I'm thinking if I purchase a new body I could also benefit from a better/more modern one. I find the choices however a little confusing and wondered if you could give me your points of view?

I never take movies, only stills. I take a variety of subjects, landscape/buildings, nature and motorsport although never portraits and generally I only take photos in reasonable weather and so not worried about having WR. I have been trying some nature shots at dusk time so performance under low light could be important.

My current lenses are:
17-70 DA-SMC SDM
100mm SMC D FA Macro
10-17 SMC DA Fish Eye
Plus an old 75-300mm FAJ which I used with my first DSLR istD camera although I am planning on replacing with a similar but better quality one and also adding a Pentax 1.4x teleconverter

K-S2 - better pixels and looks good but I wouldn't use the Wi-Fi and similar features
K3 - much bigger step in price and not sure my level of photography would really benefit
K3 II - not keen on the idea of Geo replacing an inbuilt flash which I find can be handy
K-500 & K-50 - both seem pretty similar to my K-7 and so I then wonder whether to just have mine repaired after all

I like the look of the Flucard which I could use to set up on a remote tripod and monitor on my iPad, say at a bird table in the back garden.

Thanks
Liz

I think one of the best deals around (at least here in the states) is the K-50. You can get the body for about $300.
07-22-2015, 06:22 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The K3 is very similar body in use to the K7 with a few refinements / changes. It won't be too advanced if you're comfortable with the K7.
If you find yourself using the top LCD on your K7, then may miss this feature on the other cameras.

You might also want to reconsider getting the teleconverter - the extra resolution of the new camera may be sufficient to allow cropping the image. Also, they only really work well with high quality and fast lenses - think f/4 or better. I found that the DA55-300wr with the K3 was good enough for my modest requirements - the lens is very sharp and it's light and compact, plus cropping up to 50% of the image still gets good results.

All the cameras are a nice upgrade on the K7 - you will get results around ISO3200+ that you could only get at ISO800 on the K7. This is why they're confident enough just to get rid of the built in flash on the K3ii. Still, you need a flash when there is zero ambient light.

See if any of the bodies are on offer in a package deal - with a lens or flash or other offer. That would be how I would choose - given that they're all good bodies.

07-22-2015, 06:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Evening,

The K7 has the same sensor as the K20. When I moved from the K20 to the K5, there was a large step up in terms of lower noise across the entire range of ISO. The K500 I believe only has a single wheel. The best value for the money here in the US is with the K50, then followed by the K5IIs. If you do a lot of macro, the K50, K3 and K3II have focus peaking.

07-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #6
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I just picked up a used K3 w/a flucard for less than $500. It's supposed to be shipped out tomorrow, so I hope it's in excellent condition as described. I've been waiting several years to replace my K7. I plan to give the K7 to my son w/some of my extra lenses - It was my first DSLR - and I'm still in love with it, but I look foward to seeing what the K-3 can do.
07-22-2015, 08:23 PM   #7
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Hi Everyone,

My current lenses are:
17-70 DA-SMC SDM
100mm SMC D FA Macro
10-17 SMC DA Fish Eye

Thanks
Liz
I'd recommend going for the K-3. Same product line as the K-3, greatly improved in all areas.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-22-2015, 08:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Having stepped down in body class (K10D to K-r) in the past, I always really missed a lot of the features: top LCD, dedicated focus point selection, front e-dial*, etc.

My K-3 will be here in less than 24 hours and I can't wait!

* Some (all?) newer entry bodies have dual dials.

07-22-2015, 11:14 PM   #9
hcc
Pentaxian

+1 with Adam and others for the K-3.

I have a K-7 (and I still continue to use it as 2nd body). Last year, I bought a K-3 and I am very happy. I love the K-3 for its WR, body handling (all already in K-7), but also for the dual-card slot, the much improved ISO capability. At low ISO (100), the K-7 is still decent, but the K-3 shines at ISO 200 and above in comparison.

A major advantage of the K-3 is the same body and buttons as the K-7. No need to learn again the button arrangement.

For your type of shooting and your lens line-up, the K_3 is the obvious choice IMHO. It is a no brainer...

Hope that the comment will help.
07-23-2015, 02:31 AM   #10

Actually, you said you were interested in the FLUcard. If you can get a deal on a K-3 (ensure it ships with the FLUcard -- some did) or a KS2 (the "built-in Wi-Fi" basically means built-in FLUcard) you might find it opens up a world of possibilities. When I decided to replace my aging K200d, I did so with the K-50 because of the cheapness. It's not built as solidly, but it seems good enough for what I need and I really gained in features and image quality.

(I got it with the 18-135 for $650. I know you didn't mention another lens, but that 18-135 is really fun. And don't forget -- bodies are disposable but lenses are forever.)
07-23-2015, 03:44 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thanks for your replies, it's really helpful to hear that they will all be better than mine.

Less noise through the range and particularly at low light would be a real benefit as mine doesn't perform very well at big ISO. This confirms that I probably wouldn't need the flash as I only use that rarely now.

I had been wondering about by how useful the converter would really be given the light limitations so its good that the added resolution on the newer bodies will cater for cropping up to 50% as this will be enough for my needs.

I'm going to have another look at the KS2 wifi features as I thought that was more about transferring the photos post taking of them, but given that I can now rule out buying the converter, I am inclined to put the money towards the K3 or K3II and will look for a package with the 55-300mm lens.

Thanks again
Liz
07-23-2015, 04:14 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter

You may also want to look at a K5-II, which you may still be able to find new in some places. The body layout is identical to the K-7, and you get the benefit of the lower noise sensor, 14-bit RAW and low light AF.
07-23-2015, 07:44 AM   #13

. . . I'm going to have another look at the KS2 wifi features as I thought that was more about transferring the photos post taking of them . . .
Yeah -- that's all I really wanted Wi-Fi functionality for, but it's getting more and more difficult to find a Wi-Fi option that will do that. Everyone seems to think people only want remote control or to transfer the photos to their smartphone (one at a time? really?), so it's difficult to find someone that makes a card that will actually transfer all your photos over an infrastructure network.

The Eye-Fi card from -- well, Eye-Fi, I think -- will, but they hide the directions and make it a d***ed nuisance. The Toshiba FlashAir will only transfer over an ad-hoc network, and I think it's the same with the Flucard. Here's what PENTAX - K-S2 Black says the K-S2 will do over wi-fi:

" . . . users can wirelessly control camera operation, transfer images, and view images, making image transferring and sharing easy and seamless. . . "

They provide an app for camera control & image transfer if you have a weedy little smartphone, but are fully cognizant of the fact that no one would ever, ever want an easy way to do this with a powerful desktop. Like, say, once you got home from a day of taking photos. But Lightroom probably does that automatically over Wi-Fi with a Mac. It's from Apple, right?
07-24-2015, 04:02 AM   #14

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
+1 with Adam and others for the K-3.

I have a K-7 (and I still continue to use it as 2nd body). Last year, I bought a K-3 and I am very happy. I love the K-3 for its WR, body handling (all already in K-7), but also for the dual-card slot, the much improved ISO capability. At low ISO (100), the K-7 is still decent, but the K-3 shines at ISO 200 and above in comparison.

A major advantage of the K-3 is the same body and buttons as the K-7. No need to learn again the button arrangement.

For your type of shooting and your lens line-up, the K_3 is the obvious choice IMHO. It is a no brainer...

Hope that the comment will help.
I love my K7 and will keep getting it repaired until i can't get it repaired any longer.

But.....

Yesterday my misses included a whale raising its tail right out of the water for a deep dive and two whales lifting their heads out of the water, while the K7's buffer was full. I also missed 100 dolphin shots because I didn't want to take my 300mm off the camera while the whale was down deep.

Does the K3 have the burst shooting grunt to warrant going two cameras now (tele on one shoulder and wide-normal on the other) and forgetting about the FF for a while?
07-31-2015, 06:21 PM   #15

Original Poster
Bought a K3ii from Clifton Cameras A+++

Hi Everyone,
Thanks for your points of view, all very useful.

Just thought I'd let you know that I opted for a K3ii and have had the opportunity of taking a few pictures today. Very pleased so far, I like that it is the same layout as my old K7 so it comes naturally to use rather than fiddling about with settings. I must admit to being a bit dubious of replacing my camera body as I had thought it was good but my amateur snaps are vastly improved with the newer model.

The picture quality is amazingly better, an improvement which shouldn't really have surprised me but the difference is far greater than I expected. Also, I haven't taken many shots in dusk/darker conditions yet, but a few sample photos of my cat taken indoors under rather grim electric lights are far better and not grainy like they used to be, the ISO3200 is very good. A few sample shots with a big lens hand held at slow shutter speed also shows the shake reduction system is also significantly improved.

After quite a bit of internet searching and contacting a couple of dealers, I ordered from Clifton Cameras, their service has been great with questions and emails answered extremely quickly and helpfully. Delivery was next day in a well packed box via DPD which gives the advantage of real time online tracking. Clifton were also the only one I contacted who were good enough to offer me a discount on a non kit lens combination order. I hadn't used them before but will now use them in preference for any future orders and I highly recommend them.

Thanks again for your input.
Liz