Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-25-2015, 08:22 PM - 2 Likes   #1

Just got back from Europe

Hi all

I've just returned to Australia from a 6 week holiday in Europe. I took about 3500 photos with my K5 and some even turned out ok.
However, before I upload some, I thought I might share some stories with you
As we all know, the Nikons and Canons have taken over so there is a nice camaraderie amongst the folk who are using Pentax. A nice little nod of acknowledgement goes a long way.
In one instance I had a very nice conversation with a Chinese gentleman, but not a word was spoken.
I did my customary nod and point at the Pentax name on the strap, to which he nodded back.
Then we started comparing cameras. I had a K5 and he had a k5iis, or something similar, the point being that his camera was superior to mine.
Consequently I made a gesture signaling to him that he had won the camera comparing contest, and we both laughed about it, slapped each other on the back and then parted.
All without a word being spoken.
A lovely moment.

In another development, a photographer I met on the trip, who incidentally was also using Pentax tried to tell me something I thought sounded not quite right.

Let's say you are shooting in Av mode and your camera suggests, let's say 1/60 sec at F5.6. To get the same exposure you would change the speed to 1/30 and make the aperture F2.8. I think that's right, up one down one.

His contenetion was, that if you do this, even though the exposure will be the same, the colours will not. This may, he said, be particularly evident in whites, where you could end up with quite a different cast on the exposure.

I have never heard this before. He was arguing along the lines that as the aperture changed, the focal distance changed (true) but this also affected the colour balance.

Has anyone ever heard this before? Is it true? If so why?

Ian Pegram

07-25-2015, 08:40 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds like a great trip and a bonus to see some other Pentaxians for sure!

That exposure thing does not sound right at all to me. For a start 1/60 & F5.6 would be equivalent to 1/30 & F8 (not F2.8).
And any colour change is more likely to be related to change in contrast (reducing / increasing intensity to a degree) with aperture change (lenses often have lower contrast wide open for example - but a good lens will likely have good contrast wide open anyway).
07-25-2015, 08:56 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by kiwi_jono Quote
Sounds like a great trip and a bonus to see some other Pentaxians for sure!

That exposure thing does not sound right at all to me. For a start 1/60 & F5.6 would be equivalent to 1/30 & F8 (not F2.8).
And any colour change is more likely to be related to change in contrast (reducing / increasing intensity to a degree) with aperture change (lenses often have lower contrast wide open for example - but a good lens will likely have good contrast wide open anyway).
True that about the equivalent exposure. My mind must be in neutral.
I'm inclined to think the argument about differing contrasts would be correct
As a side issue (noticing you are from Christchurch), we met some kiwis on our tour, which reinforced my belief that I've never met a kiwi I didn't like. they were just fantastic people
All the best
Ian
07-26-2015, 01:48 AM   #4
Veteran Member

I can see varying the aperture resulting in different colour if you are using flash and effectively changing the flash to ambient light ratio but I think in normal circumstances this wouldn't make any difference.

07-26-2015, 02:05 AM   #5
Moderator PEG Judges

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
let's say 1/60 sec at F5.6. To get the same exposure you would change the speed to 1/30 and make the aperture F2.8.
The maths has gone wrong somewhere here, maintaining exposure for unchanged light of 1/60 @ F5.6, for 1/30 you'd be @ F8.0 and to be able to use F2.8 you'd need to be @ 1/250.

One of the joys of using old Weston light meters and no doubt others too (yes I'm that old), once you've taken a light reading you can see at a glance all the correct aperture and shutter speed combinations.

QuoteOriginally posted by peggers Quote
He was arguing along the lines that as the aperture changed, the focal distance changed (true) but this also affected the colour balance
That's a new one on me and I can't say I've noticed it.

Last edited by Kerrowdown; 07-26-2015 at 02:19 AM.
07-26-2015, 02:12 AM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
I can't say I've noticed it.
Shooting in Scotland, where everything is grey, you wouldn't, would you?
07-26-2015, 02:21 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I can't resist jumping in on the Kiwi and Christchurch theme here . That was my home until I was 24, and then it was off on the 'big OE' ...which kind of didn't finish ! Can't go back because family needs, and work. I was devastated by what happened .... I was a musician and so many places I hung out all the time were wiped out ....arts centre, town hall, basilica, cathedral, old girls high .... Have they sorted the town hall yet?

Anyway ! Great story of your meetings .... Pentax can bring People together, like it does on the forum here. I wouldn't expect any significant colour shifts from aperture or shutter speed changes, really. High ISO will make colours a bit duller, and very low ISO will boost richness and contrast, which has an effect.

Good point above about flash and ambient light balancing ...shifts here can definitely change the colour temperature, usually with flash light giving more cool tone and ambient warmer. The custom setting for white balance for flash can impact this as well.
07-26-2015, 02:21 AM - 1 Like   #8
Moderator PEG Judges

QuoteOriginally posted by rod_grant Quote
Shooting in Scotland, where everything is grey, you wouldn't, would you?
Aye but is that a true 18% or 12% reflectance?

07-26-2015, 04:54 AM   #9
Veteran Member

That's a terrible generalisation about Scotland; I'm pretty sure it was sunny for about an hour a couple of weeks ago
07-26-2015, 05:08 AM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Johndav Quote
it was sunny for about an hour a couple of weeks ago
Yes, and they tell me that even the English open the windows on the train on the way to work on one day of the year!
(But have to close it again before they arrive, because summer is over)