Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Unique Pentax features

When I chose the Pentax K10D over the Nikon D70s or Canon 20D, my main reasoning was the price-to-feature ratio, and the fact that I could afford a flagship camera, instead of one where Canikon purposefully cripple features to maintain upgradeability. But something that pushed me over the edge was the fact that Pentax seemed to be (and still is!) innovating on actual features. Re-thinking things instead of just relying on what worked with film. I don't really use TAv, but I have used X mode a lot. During my K-r stint, M worked ok as an X mode stand-in, but I still missed it.

I have a Canon acquaintance to whom I'll be "showing off" my new K-3 in a few days. Certainly not in an effort to convince him to switch, simply as a retort to the fact that he scoffed a bit when I mentioned that I shoot Pentax. I want to show him that Pentax is not some cut-rate, third-tier company. I'm trying to compile a list of features that are present in Pentax bodies, specifically the K-3, that Canon/Nikon do not offer, even in their flagships.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, brand arguing is silly and pointless, and it's only the resulting images that really matter. Nonetheless, here's the list that I've come up with, but I'm not 100% sure that these features aren't available from Canikon. Please correct me and/or add to the list. Thanks!
  • In-body SR
  • Mag-alloy and/or weather-sealing, even in "entry-level" bodies
  • Full historical lens compatibility
  • Meter that functions with old glass
  • Catch-in-focus on manual-focus lenses
  • X, Sv, TAv
  • Major customizability: Fx button, Green button, e-Dial function/direction, etc. (Flagship bodies probably all have this, but I have no idea)
  • Choice of locking mode dial (extension of previous)

07-27-2015, 10:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Add all the fantastic engineering they've built on the fact that they can move the sensor very precisely for image stabilization-- the AA filter simulator and the Astrotracer function (if you get the GPS unit).
07-27-2015, 10:49 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
What Pentax K-5 and K-3 have is front and rear IR receiver. 7D does not have that. I don't have a 7D, but I guess it also has a number of features that Pentax bodies don't have (such as better AF fine tuning capabilities, thermal compensation of infinity focus, and in camera RAW -> JPEG conversion level curves). Perhaps what does matter most is that the camera we use possesses the features we use, rather than having an escalation of gadget like features. Personally, I prefer having less features, lean menus, direct manual control, high perf AF and sensor, reliability and choice of a few but key lenses.
07-27-2015, 11:03 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Most of the features you mentioned can also be found in magic lantern which is not part of the firmware from Canon. Ask him also how to change ISO while you are keeping your eyes in the viewfinder; and in general the camera ergonomics and better control of buttons and dials using right thumb and index fingers. I find it very clumsy to change ISO on the high end Canon models since they don't have 2 dials conveniently located.

Mention also about the multi-exposure feature of the k-3 as in this write up by a fellow forum member.
Pentax K-3 Multi exposure and Interval Composition | Wallace Koopmans Artlog

07-27-2015, 12:03 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Save the best for last...

"and it says Pentax right here!"

07-27-2015, 12:05 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Most of the features you mentioned can also be found in magic lantern which is not part of the firmware from Canon. Ask him also how to change ISO while you are keeping your eyes in the viewfinder; and in general the camera ergonomics and better control of buttons and dials using right thumb and index fingers. I find it very clumsy to change ISO on the high end Canon models since they don't have 2 dials conveniently located.

Mention also about the multi-exposure feature of the k-3 as in this write up by a fellow forum member.
Pentax K-3 Multi exposure and Interval Composition | Wallace Koopmans Artlog
Thanks for the link, that's great. Also brings up another Canon advantage, alternate firmware.
07-27-2015, 12:07 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
In the case of the K-3, The Ricoh on the back of the camera.

Another unique feature, that they are nearly impossible to buy at a retail store in the US.

07-27-2015, 12:19 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
... nearly impossible to buy at a retail store in the US.
A what store? What's that?
07-27-2015, 12:38 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Thanks for the link, that's great. Also brings up another Canon advantage, alternate firmware.
You have to pay extra for it (third party)... but the features are included in Pentax camera firmware - big difference IMHO.
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #10
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Outis Quote
Add all the fantastic engineering they've built on the fact that they can move the sensor very precisely for image stabilization-- the AA filter simulator and the Astrotracer function (if you get the GPS unit).
Also composition adjust.
And now the enhanced resolution mode,
although Hassy have done that for a while.

It's not based on sensor-shift,
but catch-in-focus is another good Pentax feature,
although AFAIK there are also ways to do it on a Nikon.
Not sure about Canon and Sony.
07-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Magic Lantern is not alternate firmware per se* and comes with this explicit warning (in bold print) in the user guide:

QuoteQuote:
  • And, remember that this software can damage or destroy your camera.
I think that should be enough caution!

A quick rundown the ML features still continues to surprise me. For sure, many are only pertinent to older models, but Pentax has supported most of the still image features for the last half decade or so.** It is the video extensions that provide the most value and justify the risk, though only if you are willing to brick the camera. Too bad there is spotty support for the various Canon models.

Steve

* The explanation is complicated. It is enough to say that the Canon firmware remains resident with ML providing extensions in much the same way as a service tech debug tools might.

** I would really like to see Pentax implement a few of the ML features, particularly automated DotTune AF fine adjust.

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-27-2015 at 01:37 PM.
07-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Another unique feature, that they are nearly impossible to buy at a retail store in the US.
Another advantage of living here in the NW...real brick 'n mortar camera stores stocking Pentax product.

Steve
07-27-2015, 01:28 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
You have to pay extra for it (third party)...
Unless there is someone offering a supported version somewhere, downloads of the nightly builds are still free of charge from magiclantern.fm. There are no stable releases, just the latest and greatest.

Steve
07-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Unless there is someone offering a supported version somewhere, downloads of the nightly builds are still free of charge from magiclantern.fm. There are no stable releases, just the latest and greatest.

Steve
Thanks for the correction... (yes, use at your own risk type), I had a conversation with one of my Canon user friends - he used magic lantern to enable focus peaking in Liveview in his EOS M..

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-27-2015 at 02:06 PM.
07-27-2015, 02:00 PM   #15
Veteran Member

My sister donated me a Nikon D70s with kit lens. I have a k-5IIs ( after ist and k200). It came with a kit lens made in Thailand.

The first thing I noticed was the lightning fast focus even in low light and the razor sharp pics from what is not supposed to be the best lens.

The second thing I noticed is if you want to make a change you had to use a complicated menu system.

It's larger, but a fraction of the weight.

I understand why one would get it over canon. Assuming you are in a store and the selection is canon or Nikon. If I had not found out about Pentax by accident I would be happy to own one.