Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 02:39 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
The advantage of high-end Pentax bodies over Canon: if the image sensor is obsolete, you can still use the Pentax as a hammer.

07-27-2015, 02:48 PM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
When I chose the Pentax K10D over the Nikon D70s or Canon 20D, my main reasoning was the price-to-feature ratio, and the fact that I could afford a flagship camera, instead of one where Canikon purposefully cripple features to maintain upgradeability. But something that pushed me over the edge was the fact that Pentax seemed to be (and still is!) innovating on actual features. Re-thinking things instead of just relying on what worked with film. I don't really use TAv, but I have used X mode a lot. During my K-r stint, M worked ok as an X mode stand-in, but I still missed it.

I have a Canon acquaintance to whom I'll be "showing off" my new K-3 in a few days. Certainly not in an effort to convince him to switch, simply as a retort to the fact that he scoffed a bit when I mentioned that I shoot Pentax. I want to show him that Pentax is not some cut-rate, third-tier company. I'm trying to compile a list of features that are present in Pentax bodies, specifically the K-3, that Canon/Nikon do not offer, even in their flagships.

Just to get it out of the way, yes, brand arguing is silly and pointless, and it's only the resulting images that really matter. Nonetheless, here's the list that I've come up with, but I'm not 100% sure that these features aren't available from Canikon. Please correct me and/or add to the list. Thanks!
  • In-body SR
  • Mag-alloy and/or weather-sealing, even in "entry-level" bodies
  • Full historical lens compatibility
  • Meter that functions with old glass
  • Catch-in-focus on manual-focus lenses
  • X, Sv, TAv
  • Major customizability: Fx button, Green button, e-Dial function/direction, etc. (Flagship bodies probably all have this, but I have no idea)
  • Choice of locking mode dial (extension of previous)
In body SR is unique if you doesn't count sony
"Entry level" pentax is not magnesium alloey, but WR is unique
TAv, Sv is unique on the mode dial, but recent Canikons ha "Manual mode auto ISO" and P mode, fixed ISO
Nikon has mode dial lock, I think Canon also, but I don't know
07-27-2015, 06:45 PM   #18

I'm still using the K10D, but I think these things are still available on the K-3: Hyper-manual exposure - press the green button when in manual mode to jump shutter speed to the camera-suggested exposure, then tweak from there. I use this all the time. Don't think Canikon have it. Also while in manual mode, pressing the exposure lock button and turning one of the dials changes shutter/aperture combinations while maintaining current exposure. These are two reasons I almost never leave manual mode on Pentax.
07-27-2015, 07:57 PM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Pentax on the shelf in the NW?

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Another advantage of living here in the NW...real brick 'n mortar camera stores stocking Pentax product.

Steve
Where?
There is only one store in the Seattle area I have seen any Pentax gear, Kenmore Camera,
There is supposed to be a store in Bellevue too, I don't count Fry's they only offer blowouts of last year's models,
Is Portland better?

07-28-2015, 12:50 AM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Just to get it out of the way, yes, brand arguing is silly and pointless, and it's only the resulting images that really matter.

Yep, you said it yourself. Intriguing as those uniquely-Pentax feature lists are, they will do little to convince your Canon acquaintance. If he is a halfway-skilled rhetorician, he will deflect your list in no time, instead having fun with your trying so hard, which will only serve to make you feel bad.

Why are you so intent on letting others sour your excitement over your new K-3? So, instead of being defensive about your gear, go out and shoot it, learn the camera fast, and then indeed show that Canon guy your images. Maybe include some shots that he will not find so easy to reproduce with his Canon Rebel-I-lost-track-of: high-contrast scenes with easily recovered shadow detail, low-light stuff your K-3 managed to focus on, shots that you made fly even at ISO 3200, native-ISO landscapes with an insane amount of 24MP detail, etc. When your acquaintance then expresses surprise, you can (if you must) zero in for the kill and tell him that, yeah, somehow for no particular reason, you got those images with your supposed POS camera ...

Last edited by Madaboutpix; 07-28-2015 at 01:07 AM.
07-28-2015, 05:31 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Instead of trying to sell, just tell him why you chose your camera. You presumably researched the cameras in a given price range and chose based on valuable features.

If he's the type to never leave automatic mode and superzoom it really doesn't matter which brand he chooses.
07-28-2015, 05:37 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
Nikon has mode dial lock, I think Canon also, but I don't know
It's not the mode dial lock that is unique, but the fact that you can switch between a locking and non-locking mode dial. Both have their pros and cons, and being to choose is a great benefit, IMO.

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 07:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
I'm still using the K10D, but I think these things are still available on the K-3: Hyper-manual exposure - press the green button when in manual mode to jump shutter speed to the camera-suggested exposure, then tweak from there. I use this all the time. Don't think Canikon have it. Also while in manual mode, pressing the exposure lock button and turning one of the dials changes shutter/aperture combinations while maintaining current exposure. These are two reasons I almost never leave manual mode on Pentax.
How did I forget Green-button metering?! Yes! And Quick-Shift Focus on Pentax lenses. And I didn't know about the AE-L + dial trick, that's incredibly cool.

QuoteOriginally posted by Madaboutpix Quote
Yep, you said it yourself. Intriguing as those uniquely-Pentax feature lists are, they will do little to convince your Canon acquaintance. If he is a halfway-skilled rhetorician, he will deflect your list in no time, instead having fun with your trying so hard, which will only serve to make you feel bad.
Just to be clear, I'm certainly not trying to convince him to switch brands. I'm really not trying to "convince" him of anything. I just want to illustrate the fact that Pentax makes really great gear, we're not a group to scoff at.

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
Instead of trying to sell, just tell him why you chose your camera. You presumably researched the cameras in a given price range and chose based on valuable features.
Oh, absolutely! But I can't deny that one of the reasons I chose the K-3 was the fact that I could take glass out of the equation. But one of the reasons I chose Pentax when I did was because they offer unique, really useful features. That's really all I'm trying to compile here.

07-28-2015, 06:09 AM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have a Niece an Nephew who are professionals, she works for a newspaper and he has a "day job" but both do sports, portraits, and wedding photography. They shoot Nikon full frame bodies. They're really good at their craft.

Joe, my nephew, and I talk trade a lot. One of the great nieces asked who is better Joe or me, and Joe didn't hesitate to reply 'we don't do the same kind of photography.' He was very entertained by the CIF feature, having lots of fun with the 50mm f1.4 on my K5. He has nothing like my FA100mm macro either, so has fun with that. When I finally got the DA21mm he knew about Pentax's pancake lenses and was impressed how sharp it is. I showed my grand-niece how to brace a camera for some pictures of the moon and Jupiter. Too bad there were some high clouds, those would have been great shots.

I have a K5, a true workhorse which has taken some punishment in its tenure. It's sustained a couple falls which I'm sure would have broken a flip-out LCD or broken a less sturdy lens mount. Honestly, I don't do this on purpose but I tend to buy rugged gear.
I have the GPS module and use it for science - I do bee and insect survey work in my "spare time." I've tried the astrotrace feature, but rarely get anywhere the ambient light is low enough to do anything truly good.
07-28-2015, 09:45 AM   #24
Veteran Member

Did anyone mention the built-in shift capability in newer models (using the sensor instead of needing a shift lens)
Sensor Shift In Action: Increasing Field of View - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

I've been using it much more often lately. It's pretty handy for getting a wider view without extra distortion.
07-28-2015, 12:37 PM   #25
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
Did anyone mention the built-in shift capability in newer models (using the sensor instead of needing a shift lens)
Yes indeed:
QuoteOriginally posted by lytrytyr Quote
Also composition adjust.
07-29-2015, 01:50 AM   #26
Veteran Member

amazing trick, I'll try this when I get back home one the K3 ^^
07-29-2015, 03:42 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote

If he's the type to never leave automatic mode and superzoom it really doesn't matter which brand he chooses.
+1

Just show him your photos.

I personally don't brag about my gear, I just get on with taking photos.

I chose what I chose for a lot of reasons, including backwards compatibility. It's not so much about disabling features deliberately, canon abandoned their lens users not once but twice between 1985 and 1995.
07-29-2015, 12:16 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
amazing trick, I'll try this when I get back home one the K3 ^^
Hope it works. Like I say, these things work on a K10D but I haven't had the opportunity to try them on a recent Pentax. I'll be disappointed when I get round to upgrading and they haven't kept them. It's amazing how these little things, which don't show up in spec sheets or reviews, can make a big difference in use.
07-29-2015, 06:47 PM   #29
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
+1

Just show him your photos.

I personally don't brag about my gear, I just get on with taking photos.

I chose what I chose for a lot of reasons, including backwards compatibility. It's not so much about disabling features deliberately, canon abandoned their lens users not once but twice between 1985 and 1995.
+1 also, let your photos speak.....
but then you may also get this remark like this:
"oh, your photos are so nice and beautiful, you must have a very expensive nice camera, is it Nikon or Canon?"
"sorry my camera is a Pentax"
"What? is that a new camera brand?"

---------- Post added 07-29-2015 at 09:50 PM ----------

Hope it works. Like I say, these things work on a K10D but I haven't had the opportunity to try them on a recent Pentax. I'll be disappointed when I get round to upgrading and they haven't kept them. It's amazing how these little things, which don't show up in spec sheets or reviews, can make a big difference in use.
Don't remember Pentax/RIcoh crippled any features since k-10 on high-end models up to k-3 (however, k-3II now without on-board flash and replaced with GPS). Not only that, many of the features have been enhanced in each successive models (for example, multiple-exposure feature on k-3).
07-30-2015, 12:24 AM   #30
Veteran Member

it works ^^ like magic the K3 keep all this features, thanks again for this amazing tip !!!