Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 12:56 AM   #31
Pentaxian

On the Pentax DSLRs with two control dials, is the P Mode unique? Without taking the eye away from the viewfinder, we can turn one of the dials to go instantly from P Mode to either Av Mode or Tv Mode, and similarly instantly switch between the Av and Tv Modes. Then, if we wish, we can instantly return to P Mode by pressing the green button.

Cheers.
Philip

07-30-2015, 01:41 AM   #32
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
On the Pentax DSLRs with two control dials, is the P Mode unique? Without taking the eye away from the viewfinder, we can turn one of the dials to go instantly from P Mode to either Av Mode or Tv Mode, and similarly instantly switch between the Av and Tv Modes. Then, if we wish, we can instantly return to P Mode by pressing the green button.

a very interesting feature indeed
07-31-2015, 04:27 AM - 1 Like   #33
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by 08amczb Quote
In body SR is unique if you doesn't count sony
Olympus also has in body SR, and I believe one Panasonic has that too? Olympus and Sony also make better use of the in body SR as they use it for video too, where it makes more of a difference than for stills. Especially Olympus goes nuts on the video SR, as it is one of their main selling points. They commissioned videos to serve as ad for the function. Pentax disabled it because you might, under some rare circumstances, be able to hear it.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
** I would really like to see Pentax implement a few of the ML features, particularly automated DotTune AF fine adjust.
Scratch that. I would like to see Pentax hire people from ML, so they implement those features on Pentax. Both stills and video. They could be part of an extended menu that has to be unlocked first. "Yes, I want to use all features, even though they may be very nerdy and make the camera harder to use."

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
What Pentax K-5 and K-3 have is front and rear IR receiver. 7D does not have that. I don't have a 7D, but I guess it also has a number of features that Pentax bodies don't have (such as better AF fine tuning capabilities, thermal compensation of infinity focus, and in camera RAW -> JPEG conversion level curves). Perhaps what does matter most is that the camera we use possesses the features we use, rather than having an escalation of gadget like features. Personally, I prefer having less features, lean menus, direct manual control, high perf AF and sensor, reliability and choice of a few but key lenses.
I have to disagree with that. There are some features that I would like to have that I know many others wouldn't care about, and likewise I'm sure there are features others would like that I don't care about. These things are computers. Computers are flexible. I can run Windows XP on my computer, or Vista, 7, or 8, or 10. I can also run Linux. I can chose if I want Lightroom, or rawtherapee, or Capture One, Photoshop or Gimp, ... and all these programs have a different interface. There are simplified modes in some of the programs, I can change the interface in Photoshop depending on what I want to do...

What would speak against having a menu option that lets you customize your menu? One option would let you pick the level of still features you want, another the level of video features. Don't want video? Deactivate it. The video switch gets reused, or the video position on the mode dial, video disappears from the menu (apart from this place where you can enable it again). Are you a pro/want to be one, and thus need access to very nerdy and confusing video functionality? You can enable them. Same with stills. Is it green mode you want? Or do you want the camera to be the way it is now? Or do you really want a computer that is programmable, perhaps with scripts that you can write on a computer, copy onto the memory card and then run on the camera? Maybe a special script that takes timelapses during sunset (keeps exposures right, shifts exposures gently so it doesn't flicker in the video), and at the same time moves the sensor from left to right? Sure, why not.

As long as there is the option of not seeing those advanced features for those who don't want them, where is the problem? It just expands the group of potential customers.

QuoteOriginally posted by aleonx3 Quote
Don't remember Pentax/RIcoh crippled any features since k-10 on high-end models up to k-3 (however, k-3II now without on-board flash and replaced with GPS). Not only that, many of the features have been enhanced in each successive models (for example, multiple-exposure feature on k-3).
They removed the Fn button that the *ist series had. I used it ALL the time because it gave me consistency. Fn + cursor button = features like WB, flash etc. Cursor button = shift focus point. Every single time. Currently Pentax forces you to look through the viewfinder to see what mode it is in. If I shift from P to Tv, suddenly it has changed the mode. There is no consistency, no muscle memory. You have to think about it. I absolutely hate the behavior, and as a result wouldn't mind if the camera only had 1 focus point. I don't use the others anymore. I did a lot with the *istDS.

On the video side they removed high bitrate MJPEG (K-5) that was great to edit and did not, ever, show artifacts in the recorded video. It was replaced by a badly implemented h264 that doesn't make use of all of the features of h264 that enable it to give you good quality at low bitrates. And the highest bitrate setting is a low bitrate. As a result, as soon as there is a lot of detail in the scene there are artifacts. If there is movement, artifacts. h264 sounds more modern than MJPEG on the box, that's about the only advantage I see, apart from smaller files (but at the expense of lower quality). Canon's professional video camera 1DC does MJPEG. Ideally Pentax would offer both, MJPEG and h264. Because sometimes you want to record for longer durations, or you don't care that much about image quality, you want to save space, ... then h264 is great, even in the Pentax implementation. But sometimes quality > everything else, and then MJPEG shines.

Imagine if Pentax was only able to save raw files, no JPEGs (early Sigma DSLRs were like that). Then they discover JPEG, and in turn disable raw. All they now offer you is a choice between 500 kb JPEG, 1 MB JPEG and 1.5 MB JPEG. On a 24 MP camera.

Finally they disabled shake reduction for video, a feature that worked very well and is very useful. It made for much smoother videos, and it almost completely eliminates the rolling shutter effect, that wobbles and just looks ugly (something you see in a lot of videos shot on Canon or Nikon cameras, when they are done by photographers who don't have access to professional video gear to stabilize the camera). Apparently on lower end Pentaxes it was audible... on the K-5 barely so. I can hear other things much more, like the clicking of the wheels when I use the camera. Also, for that there are external microphones, soundtracks are recorded externally, maybe you only use the video, ... it's not a big deal, because if you care about audio, you'll find another way to record it, because the built in microphone is at best an emergency backup. It's just not good, and an audible SR is only one of many problems with it. If you don't care about audio, well, I doubt the SR noise will annoy you either. So they removed a useful feature, that for other brands is their main selling point, because of a problem that barely is one.

To add insult to injury, they instead chose to enable a feature the Fujitsu processors have. Software based video stabilization. Leica has access to the same feature, and so does Nikon. They don't enable it. Because it is terrible. It acts as an amplifier for the rolling shutter effect, making the wobbling much more noticeable. It crops the sensor, so say goodbye to wide angle. It causes all sorts of artifacts, such as you have a stationary image, where the lower half of it wobbles to the left and right. Sometimes for a few frames there is motion blur, in different directions, randomly. While the image is stationary. Lights turn to light streaks. In random directions. If too much of the object moves, it will keep the object stationary, while the background moves. Until it reaches the limit and falls back. When recording you also won't see what the camera will actually record.

Again, more options would be better. Keep the old way of doing things, but also add the software stabilizer. Let me chose. (But please no crop for the mechanical SR.) Even a combination of both, mechanical and software SR. Olympus does it. Just assume that the user is smart enough. Or if you must, give a little pop up when enabling the feature, explaining what the up- and downsides are. The still functionality isn't limited like that, just because it might confuse users...

Sensor shift is AFAIK unique to Pentax, and a good feature. I do wish it were easier to use... it would really benefit from having a touchscreen. Hit an on screen button for the feature, and move the sensor by swiping over the screen.

For me the main feature of Pentax is the ergonomics. Instead of going for "pro means bulky" they go for compact dimensions (and weight), without feeling cheap or flimsy. They are very tough, better sealed than most competitors, but still work as a camera you can always bring with you. They manage to create small cameras that still have all the necessary buttons (for the most part... I miss the Fn button!), and placed in a sensible way. Canon usually baffles me with their ergonomics. Sure, you can learn how to use a Canon eventually, but learning a Pentax is much easier, faster. Canon is like AutoDesk. Archaic, hard to use, and sadly incredibly widespread. It's like they are hard to use because people will get used to it and won't easily switch to more sensibly designed cameras.

Now people may say... but you've been shooting Pentax for many years. No wonder you say they are easier to use. But no, when I started I also tried Canon, and I just couldn't get my head around it. Picked up a Pentax, and knew what to do.
07-31-2015, 06:00 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Fn + cursor button = features like WB, flash etc. Cursor button = shift focus point.
god, I really need that feature, I struggle every time I'm in "Select focus point" mode (I'm in that mode all the time !!!) , I have to change mode to use cursor button as WB, flash @_@
Is there any other way to change WB, flash,... when in "Select focus point" mode ????????

07-31-2015, 03:58 PM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
god, I really need that feature, I struggle every time I'm in "Select focus point" mode (I'm in that mode all the time !!!) , I have to change mode to use cursor button as WB, flash @_@
Is there any other way to change WB, flash,... when in "Select focus point" mode ????????
I wish I was. Well, really what I wish is consistency. I don't think there is. You have to switch to the other mode.

Usually I'm in the wrong. When I want to change the focus point I'm in that WB thing, when I want to change the WB for example I am in focus point mode.

Hopefully Pentax will fix this. The indicator in the viewfinder is no alternative.
08-01-2015, 02:16 AM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I have to disagree with that.
Interesting answer. It seems that some users reply things without reading.
08-01-2015, 02:46 AM   #37
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Interesting answer. It seems that some users reply things without reading.
May I ask how? I forgot to remove the parts that I wasn't referring to, sorry. But otherwise I thought I did reply to what you said. The features you mentioned are software features. If you don't need them, don't use them. I don't like the philosophy of removing as much as possible... not from a software based product where users could customize it by deactivating the features they don't need. Everyone has different needs, so trying to cover those all and then letting users pick makes sense IMHO. There could be a menu point that lists all the functions the camera has, and you can select for each if you want it or not. If you select no, it will completely disappear from all the other places. Now if the camera itself sucks, those features won't fix it. Obviously. But they can make a good camera better.

There's one more thing: On my K-5 I don't use more than 1 focus point. On my *istDS I always used the others too. The reason is a change in usability. If I had started with the K-5 I would say... cut the crap with many focus point, give me one that's great. I don't need more than that. If I then switched to the *istDS, I would be like: Oh, that's great! I like having many focus points!

I think we often don't know we need a feature until we actually have it. And have it implemented in a useful way. I rarely used video on my point & shoots. I use it a lot on my DSLR now.

Requirements also keep changing, as we grow with the camera, as our interests change, maybe different job requirements, ...

I agree that we need the basics...good image quality and performance, good body, good lenses, good ergonomics.

08-01-2015, 05:29 AM - 1 Like   #38
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

Back to the OP: Did anyone mention the option for auto levelling the horizon? Up to 1 degree with SR active, 2 with SR off. Not something I have used, but I know it's there...