Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 09:20 AM   #76
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
O.K., I've read now 5 pages of replies, and fastphotography's responses to those replies. I have one simple question for fastphotography: What Is You Point? Maybe I'm missing something, but as near as I can figure it is that because the K20D isn't the ideal camera for you that nobody else should want it either.

06-17-2008, 09:44 AM   #77

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
O.K., I've read now 5 pages of replies, and fastphotography's responses to those replies. I have one simple question for fastphotography: What Is You Point? Maybe I'm missing something, but as near as I can figure it is that because the K20D isn't the ideal camera for you that nobody else should want it either.
Duuuude, it's just a little debate I thought would be interesting. I believe I'm allowed to do that on a forum, no?
06-17-2008, 09:50 AM   #78
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Duuuude, it's just a little debate I thought would be interesting. I believe I'm allowed to do that on a forum, no?
debate yes, keep fueling a useless discussion, no.

you have 3 types of responses in this thread

1. you type very short agreement statements in a lackluster fashion.

2. re initiate questions while ignoring everything that has been mentioned

3. keep trying to justify your silliness with such hollow statements as "dont take offence" and "i just want to get a discussion going"

please mang, stop.
06-17-2008, 10:34 AM   #79

Posted in another thread, the second paragraph mentions "so many improvements" and "no deprovements" to the K20D :

The Online Photographer: Pentax K20D Report—Part I: Focus

And I'll point out the K10D(body only) is now listed on amazon.com for $709.99(USD) with no rebate while the K20D(body only) is listed for $1089.50 with $100.00 rebate so that makes it $989.50. Not that much more, and for awhile K10D prices spiked upward to the point where even without the rebate there was only $100-150 difference in price. Which means that if I were buying a K10D right now, I would just go ahead and buy the K20D. Unfortunately, most of my tax rebate was spent on landscaping materials(plants, etc.), so I'm not able to afford either one. Which is also ok, since I already have a K10D.

Last edited by brothereye; 06-17-2008 at 10:46 AM.
06-17-2008, 10:59 AM   #80
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
Posted in another thread, the second paragraph mentions "so many improvements" and "no deprovements" to the K20D :

And I'll point out the K10D(body only) is now listed on amazon.com for $709.99(USD) with no rebate while the K20D(body only) is listed for $1089.50 with $100.00 rebate so that makes it $989.50. Not that much more, and for awhile K10D prices spiked upward to the point where even without the rebate there was only $100-150 difference in price. Which means that if I were buying a K10D right now, I would just go ahead and buy the K20D. Unfortunately, most of my tax rebate was spent on landscaping materials(plants, etc.), so I'm not able to afford either one. Which is also ok, since I already have a K10D.
K10D is a very fine tool indeed.

Ben
06-17-2008, 11:41 AM   #81
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
K10D is a very fine tool indeed.

Ben
Ben

I think that is the point of the OP.

Unless you really need a new camera, or the extra resolution or ISO of the K20 over the K10D, the K10D really is a very fine camera.

I think the point is that many K10D owners may pass on this model, waiting for the next (what ever that is), because they are wholly satisfied with the K10D

is the K20D a flop. No way, there are a lot of 6MP shooters out there who may go for it. It has advantages over the *istDXX family in terms of resolution, ISO, HSM and shake reduction and will probably also attract K100/K110 users also, along with the ever elusive new to pentax users.
06-17-2008, 12:38 PM   #82
Not Registered

Watching the OP and the following posts by Fastphotography I would say that this sounds like the typical action of a bored kid. I wouldnt loose one more second on this.

06-17-2008, 04:50 PM   #83

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
As a new member to this forum, I thought the boards were "rough" over at one of the Recreational Forums I belong to

Only kidding...Seriously, it's nice to see such spirited discussion. I just bought a used ist DL as an entry into Digital so that I can use my substantial investements in Pentax lenses while I wait for the price of MY K20 D to come down a bit more...

Last edited by photomac1234; 06-17-2008 at 07:21 PM.
06-17-2008, 05:56 PM   #84
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
As I was sponsored by Canon before coming on board with Pentax, I had the opportunity to shoot with all of their camera's and lenses. I recently compared the output from the Canon 1Ds Mkll which is a 16 megapixel camera to that of the K20D about 15 megapixels. I doubt if anyone here on the forum could tell which camera took which photo on a A3+ sized image or on a A2 for that matter. Perhaps the colour rendition might give it away, but I doubt that.

The output of the K20D is on par with this 8000€ camera. As far as I am concerned, I think that the K20D is "UNDER PRICED" for what you are getting and that we are spoiled rotten. The Nikon D300 is way more expensive and its output is not as fine as that of the K20D at 100 iso, which is where I reside in most cases when shooting.

Being that I have this massive lens arsenal, I see no reason to quit Pentax, as I am sure that they with Samsung will drop the proverbial bomb in the not so far future to compete with the likes of Canon, Sony and Nikon. By that I mean a +20 megapixel camera to compete with the D3 and 1Ds Mklll.

Ben
Well, this is certainly a great recommendation for the K20D!!
06-17-2008, 08:41 PM   #85

QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
* Because the Super Takumars have been waiting 35 years for this sensor,
just to show what they can really do - finally.

Lol best statement I see in a while.. and wow i just saw your singature. U GOT LBA issue :P!
06-18-2008, 05:26 AM   #86
Pentaxian

as a recent purchaser of a K10, i am rapt with it. i picked it up just after the K20 hit the market and the run-out prices were excellent. My sole complaint so far is that i'm drifting into fast action team sports photography and i've found myself wondering whether i should have opted for Canon's AF and FPS rates, and also the relative lack of fast glass from pentax.

now i'm wondering whether the higher ISO capabilities of the K20 might be a solution, delivering de facto fast glass results at less than half the price of some potential lenses. plus i would get the other K20 advances such as improved sensor, focus-tuning etc. so there are some good reasons for some of us to upgrade to the K20. it depends on your use.

at this stage, i won't do it. in my current financial position, what i would gain isn't worth the body-only purchase price, and i don't want to trade-in the K10 - i like it too much. plus, i think some top-notch glass is always useful. but when the K20 has dropped in price - and it most surely will - in a couple of years, i'll add it to my bag and run both bodies. horses for courses.
06-18-2008, 06:18 AM   #87

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote

Sorry to quote my own post but it's to clarify(in case it needs clarification).

My point is that right now, if I had the money for a K20D, I would add one to my gear. I think it's enough of an upgrade that it is worth the extra money and worth purchasing even though I own a K10D. And if I had the money for a K10D right now, I would wait and add a little to buy a K20D, since it's not THAT much more.

The reality is though, the K10D is as capable as it ever was, which is to say that it is the most capable digital camera I've ever owned, and in many ways it puts me in mind of my Maxxum 9000. If I had a few thousand dollars to toss about, after I bought the DA* 50-135, DA 10-17 and DA 40 Limited, I would certainly buy a K20D.

I guess the point is that, I feel that the K20D is certainly a sufficient upgrade to the K10D, which is still excellent and not diminished by the K20D.

And I need more disposable income to buy lenses and camera equipment.(and contribute to the support of pentaxforums)

And more than the free time I have now to use it.

Last edited by brothereye; 06-18-2008 at 06:25 AM.
06-18-2008, 06:38 AM   #88

QuoteOriginally posted by saladin Quote
My sole complaint so far is that i'm drifting into fast action team sports photography and i've found myself wondering whether i should have opted for Canon's AF and FPS rates, and also the relative lack of fast glass from pentax.
This reminds me of 20+ years ago, when I took a photography class at the university and one of our assignments was to shoot a night football(U.S. football) game. I shot it with a K1000, 70-210 f4 and Tri-X. I was pretty frustrated at first since it was fairly challenging. Then I realized that photographers had been shooting sporting events and getting good pictures even before the motor-drive was introduced, using 4x5 view cameras and later 120 and 220 bellows cameras like the speed-graphic, so apparently it could be done. So once I worked out prefocusing and timing the moment of exposure, I got some fairly good shots, but you would only get about two frames per play(and a tired thumb). It's funny now to think about.
06-18-2008, 08:07 AM   #89
Veteran Member

I'm not about to read six pages of posts, especially since one poster indicated that it is circular and the same things are restated over and over. Perhaps when I get bored and have some free time. I was a very early adopter of the K10D, ordered it the day they were first officially announced and got the first copy to hit Southern California. I was also an early adopter of the K20D, but not nearly so early. I waited for about two weeks after they hit the local stores. I've since sold the K10D to a compadre here at work who is also a Pentax user.

Several things about the K20D is worth the price for me; 1) CMOS and resultant image quality improvement, 2) 14+ megapixels that allow creative cropping while maintaining enough resolution for good prints, and 3) high ISO image quality, for flashless low-light photography.

Those three alone makes me glad I spent a premium price for a very good product. Sure, I wish it had more, such as more fps and faster, accurate low-light autofocus capability; but I'll never look back and have not once regretted my purchase.
06-18-2008, 09:12 AM   #90
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I got Popular Photography in the mail yesterday and there is a great write up about Noise in the new camera's including the K20D, the others that were in the comparison were the Canon EOS 40D, Nikon D300, Olympus E-3, Panasonic Lumix DMC-L10, & the Sony A-700.
The K20D held it's own up to 1600 after that it was Unacceptable. It's a good read.