Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2008, 01:58 PM   #91
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AVANT Quote
Maybe you feel the K20D isn't as good bang for your buck, but you should remember that the K10D was an EXCEPTIONAL value.
Don't forget the initial price of the K10, which wasn't that much below the inital price of the K20! You cannot take the price of a camera not longer on the price list and compare it to a brand new modell. That certainly mirpresents the cost-value proposition.

Ben

06-18-2008, 02:12 PM   #92
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Yeah, I said it! I just don't understand why somebody would pay $1000-1400 for a camera that isn't THAT much improved from the K10D.
No need to understand, there. Just take the fact.
Yes, it has a very nice sensor. I'll give it that much.
The "nice" sensor is the heart of any DSLR, so it is a high value on its own.

-Live view? It's been discussed. Some will use it, others will not. Some say they will use it, but never will.
I thought I'll never use it until I tried to focus some long distance shots with my 500/4.5 Pentax MF lens. Here the liveview with the 8x magnification comes in extremely handy. Now I know, I will use it more often, than I thought...

-PC sync socket? A hot shoe adapter costs $20 or less.
I prefer a PC socket for my studio flash

-Dust alert system? Tiny improvement.
yes, tiny, but at least a littlw help for a problem that did not exist in pre-digital days.

-Expanded Dynamic Range? Okay, this may come in handy for picky photographers or portraitists, but for the majority of us, there's Photoshop, GIMP, Aperture, Corel, etc.
For the majority of "us", I think they will be pretty thankful, that they don't have to bother with spending long hours in front of the computer. I am very happy with whatever helps me to get usable images right out of the camera. I try to only use Lightroom, because it makes working through hundreds of images after a day's shoot much faster than PS. But as its tools are limited (and otherwise the speed would be compromised again), I need good RAWs to start with. That's whare the EDR can be helpful.

-Custom image functions? This may just be my opinion, but whoop dee doo! Again, IMHO this is just for a picky photographer that doesn't want to post-process his/her pictures.
As I wrote: i am trying to produce good images fast. I spend more than enough time in front of the computer… Anyway you overlooks the Custom menue functions, where Pentax finally decided to add some valuable things, too.

-Still sync speed is 180.
Yes, 1/250 would be nicer. But at the end of the day it is still only half an f-stop, so the 1/250 advantage for daytime shooting is minimal.

-2.7-inch LCD. Almost all the others are 3"
It kept the price of the K20 considerably lower, as 3-inch screen would have afforded the constrcution and production of a new body.

-Shake reduction system still anything but extraordinary.
but noticeably better than in the K10.

-AND still only 3 FPS
Yes, my only real regret!

You forget: faster AF and less noise - both advantages over the K10, which I value highly.

Now, don't get me wrong. For the photographer who demands perfect IQ and huge-sized images, this is a great camera. But that's not everybody. The Canon 40D, Nikon D300, and Sony a-700 are all SO much better, judging by specs.
Everybody has his own reasons to chose one over the other. In many cases it will be following the salesperson's suggestion (which is often driven by the highest margin he can make). For my uses I can't see any advantage in the above listed cameras over the K20.

PLEASE note, though, that this was written by an owner of a K10D, not a K20D. I've never owned one. I do not mean to offend anybody by this; I'm only sharing my opinion, and starting a debate. People keep saying what they love about this camera, but IMHO it's not that big of an upgrade from the K10D. Good luck against 40D, D300, and A-700.
I have both, the K10 and the K20 and I like them both - just, that the K20 is better

Ben
06-19-2008, 12:37 AM   #93
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
For me the K20D is what I will get when my K10D is dead. I don't think its worth it to upgrade when I got the K10D, I would not think so even if it had huge changes either. But just because people got a K10D, should Pentax stop pushing out new cameras?

The K20D is still an upgrade from those that comes from istD, Kx00D or analog cameras. It is still a good camera for those that did not have a Pentax DSLR before. Noone have ever claimed that just because the K20D entered the market youd have to sell your K10D to get one?

This is a reply to the OP, since I did not read the whole thread.
06-19-2008, 08:40 AM   #94
Veteran Member

Funny thing is this...I find it humorous that many on this thread who do NOT have the K20D consider it an upgrade not worth having...., yet I have not heard of a single K20D owner here nor in other forums regret getting one. In fact most K20D owners will tell you it is a different beast that resides in the same basic housing...While there are cosmetic similarities, inside they are vastly different...This thread is more of a put down for those who have the K20D....

My original answer was ''because it is cool''....Well after thinking about it, I will say this...''It is cool to indeed have the K20D'' and for those of you planning on getting one, you will be in for a very pleasant surprise and for those of you who are waiting for a K30D or whatever comes down the pike, I am sure there will be a thread titled ''pff.K30D's overrated.''

06-19-2008, 08:56 AM   #95
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Exactly Javier and as many have post to this thread already. The thread itself is a waste of time. It's a great camera as the results have already shown. It's not for everyone but what camera is?
08-27-2008, 02:20 AM   #96
Inactive Account

Sorry for a late post on this, but I recently joined, and I haven't had the chance to post 2 months ago

Im all understanding when it comes to K10D owners not thinking that k20d is a buck-wise upgrade, and it isn't. But I came from a k100d and it's a world of difference.

As for the "goodluck with brand x" comparisons, that is just sad. I don't care, it's not a sport, no competition or comparison is needed, it's what I have because I like and/or want what it offers me. Good luck with ferrari and lambo!
08-27-2008, 02:54 AM   #97
Pentaxian

Have owned my K10D for about 14 months and loved it. Then borrowed a friend's K20D and discovered how wonderful the autofocus was in comparison and the advantages of a higher ISO range and I was sold because I found myself being able to take photographs that I could only get frustrated about with the K10D.

08-27-2008, 01:05 PM   #98
Veteran Member

Yeah, I've gotta say that I owned the K10D for about 2.5 months before trading it for the K20D. For me, the K20D is much more enjoyable. It does everything the K10D does, some a little better, some a lot better, and some things the K10D doesn't do at all.

In particular, I like the high ISO performance (my main gripe about the K10D), the AF-C performance, the greater customization (including AF adjustments for 20 different lenses), the 21fps 1.6mp mode (fun for golf swings and other action shots), live view (occasionally useful), 14.6mp, plus it keeps the great ergonomics of the K10D.

Most of the comments I see dismissing the K20D are from people that haven't used it. It's a significant upgrade, in my opinion, and should be marketed as such.
08-27-2008, 01:54 PM   #99
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
you dont have to be employed through use of your camera to desire high quality pictures.

i am one of those people, i havent made a single cent from my photography, but i take much pride in my work, and the new 14mp sensor is of higher quality, period, ergo the bottom line of my work will benefit.
Gooshin

I agree... striving for self satisfaction in ones achievements can also be greater than a dollar driven one.

Neil
08-27-2008, 02:08 PM   #100
Veteran Member

Wow, this thread should win for quickest posts! They are coming fast and furious...
08-27-2008, 03:19 PM   #101
Veteran Member

How about we do a group hug...

CAN'T WE ALL GET ALONG?!?!

I'm coming from a Canon rebel, yes the original one which i still use as i have a few Canon lenses i like but i wanted to try in camera stabilization and the K200D has the best value for the shot but then i joined this forum and i'm slowly learning after seeing so many images here and on other sites how great the lenses are...for the $$ compared to other brands which cost far more

I shoot mainly portraiture people and landscape including urban, but i look for my shots so speed is not essential, resolution is and Pentax, gives me overall better value per image.

I won't get into the technicals but i just do it with Pentax albeit without some of the "whiz, bang, ala kazams" if i see my shot i take it, if not i wait for it...any system suits me fine but i'm paying for my equipment and Pentax right now is the best value overall. <i can't stress that enough>

If you're brand conscious, it'll be hard to convince anyone like that, they'll be "tunneled visioned" to the marketed brand which they fully believe is King of the Hills. If you're open, it may take a little jabbing to get the points thru

but you know what ...regardless of which brand i tend to spend extra time post processing my images
08-27-2008, 05:48 PM   #102
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OK I give up. I hanged to my K10D as long as I could. Now I'm getting a K20D. Hopefully I should get it by tomorrow.
08-27-2008, 05:54 PM   #103

QuoteOriginally posted by ManuH Quote
OK I give up. I hanged to my K10D as long as I could. Now I'm getting a K20D. Hopefully I should get it by tomorrow.
I broke down as well.. My K20D arrived today
08-27-2008, 08:41 PM   #104
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mhertel Quote
I broke down as well.. My K20D arrived today
Nice timing. Don't you know the k30d will be out for Christmas!?!

08-27-2008, 09:38 PM   #105

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Nice timing. Don't you know the k30d will be out for Christmas!?!

Thats OK.. will make a nice Xmas present