Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2008, 04:31 AM   #106
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxPoke Quote
Nice timing. Don't you know the k30d will be out for Christmas!?!
Where did you hear that?

To respond to the thread, I have a K100D Super. The K10D has never been an attraction for me because of noise at high ISO. The K20D is definitely an attraction. I'm trying to hold out for its replacement, but it's a struggle given the K20 pricing lately.

Last edited by audiobomber; 08-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
08-28-2008, 07:15 AM   #107
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Where did you hear that?
Do I have to spell it out? Didn't you see the "wink?"
08-28-2008, 07:48 AM   #108
Veteran Member

Do I have to spell it out? Didn't you see the "wink?"
I guess I didn't see the wink. Maybe because your statement offered me a glimmer of hope. If I knew for sure they wouldn't announce a replacement until PMA 09 (186 days to go), I might turn the key now.
08-28-2008, 04:05 PM   #109
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nice timing. Don't you know the k30d will be out for Christmas!?!
With my luck and my timing, it's probably true! ;-)

I just received my shiny new K20D this morning.

08-28-2008, 04:24 PM   #110
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

[quote=FastPhotography;269235]Yeah, I said it! I just don't understand why somebody would pay $1000-1400 for a camera that isn't THAT much improved from the K10D.

It's simple...Because I can.
08-28-2008, 08:33 PM   #111
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Canon's nearest competitor is 5D. Canon's 40D, like Nikon's D200, doesn't come close.
08-29-2008, 11:16 AM   #112
Veteran Member

I'll be getting a K20D just simply to upgrade my system and the quality of my wedding photography.

It would be: spend two grand on a pair of new cameras or 20 grand to change systems....

which would you choose?

08-29-2008, 02:44 PM   #113
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
Most of the comments I see dismissing the K20D are from people that haven't used it. It's a significant upgrade, in my opinion, and should be marketed as such.
I think I like Ben's quote "Pentax is not charging enough for the K20" I have my K10 in the repair shop and I am thinking why not upgrade to the K20... based on what I have read here and other forums this 300-$400.00 upgrade is while worth the $$$$$'s..[ crap.. that's not even the price of a lens] no matter what camera one has.. someone will find something negative and positive to say about it. This thread just reassured me to stick with Pentax and now... with only a few weeks to find out which direction Pentax is taking.. always great to know the K20 is still there at a great price... Cheers JIMBO
08-29-2008, 09:57 PM   #114
Veteran Member

Very True. Objective Good Post!

QuoteOriginally posted by FastPhotography Quote
Yeah, I said it! I just don't understand why somebody would pay $1000-1400 for a camera that isn't THAT much improved from the K10D.
Yes, it should not be priced at that much, nor, there are much improvement over the K10D, of which most things are indifferent from the original *ist D in 2003 in camera accuracy and performance, same inaccurate metering, same sluggish and inaccurate AF, longish system time lag and so on.

Now that Samsung honestly priced the reasonable price of the GX-20 and I think it is the real price this camera is worth:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: GX-20 and Lenses are being Sold Very Cheap

QuoteQuote:
Yes, it has a very nice sensor. I'll give it that much.
The sensor give high resolution and fine details, but it is super noisy and hottest ever and the dark current noise is ever highest. I hope Samsung should debug all these problems in the next version.

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: K20D is Still "Hot" with Firmware 1.01
(So, firmware cannot eliminate and hide the hardware bugs)

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: Dynamic Range and (Background) Noise Tests of the K20D
(The background noise level is highest as measured by two Engineers)

It is not surprised for the first product to have some bugs, though. It is totally understoodable.

QuoteQuote:
-Live view? It's been discussed. Some will use it, others will not. Some say they will use it, but never will.
Yep. Its a useless feature as implemented as there is little function and too many limitations:-

RiceHigh's Pentax Blog: The Weakest LiveView in the Market

If we are now looking at the latest LiveView by Nikon, Canon and Olympus, the K20D's one is just a joke, frankly.

QuoteQuote:
-PC sync socket? A hot shoe adapter costs $20 or less.
Right. Nor most typical users need the PC sync.

QuoteQuote:
-Dust alert system? Tiny improvement.
This is not a true preventive measure! At least not *mechanically*.

QuoteQuote:
-Expanded Dynamic Range? Okay, this may come in handy for picky photographers or portraitists, but for the majority of us, there's Photoshop, GIMP, Aperture, Corel, etc.
This is just a gimmick, as also all others have this. A simple tone curve adjustment in RAW conversion will do it.

QuoteQuote:
-Custom image functions? This may just be my opinion, but whoop dee doo! Again, IMHO this is just for a picky photographer that doesn't want to post-process his/her pictures.
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
-Still sync speed is 180.
Yes.

QuoteQuote:
-2.7-inch LCD. Almost all the others are 3"
The 3" VGA mon is now the new standard, all mid-range DSLRs have this, e.g., D90, D300, 50D etc.

QuoteQuote:
-AND still only 3 FPS
Yes. Now even entry level DSLRs by others have a faster rate!?

QuoteQuote:
Now, don't get me wrong. For the photographer who demands perfect IQ and huge-sized images, this is a great camera. But that's not everybody. The Canon 40D, Nikon D300, and Sony a-700 are all SO much better, judging by specs.
In short, the K20D is nothing competitive, nor many people will choose it as everything are compared down when it is compared.

I hope Pentax should act FAST and roll out a K30D soonest. Who will buy now such a sub-par cameras unless Pentax will do what Samsung do, i.e., to sell the K20D at nearly the EOS 450D price. But then, I would say this is not the camera for me unless they improved the design, even it is sold cheaper and cheaply as the 450D!
08-30-2008, 05:37 AM   #115
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

FastPhotography isn't it nice you have a twin brother. Now you and Rice High go play somewhere else. You make a perfect pair. He can't shoot and you don't own the gear you criticize.

Neither is qualified to make these comments.
08-30-2008, 06:23 AM   #116
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
FastPhotography isn't it nice you have a twin brother. Now you and Rice High go play somewhere else. You make a perfect pair. He can't shoot and you don't own the gear you criticize.

Neither is qualified to make these comments.
Huh? You "don't own" the camera you defend, neither. So?

People can't judge if they don't own something? Tell you: I have just used a K20D last evening indoor NOT quite dim and yet the AF hunting is super annoying!
08-30-2008, 06:35 AM   #117
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

I'm not defending it Rice High. I freely admit that I don't own this camera and can't speak directly to the positive or negative aspects of it's use.

I just don't take anything you say at face value. Sometimes you offer some help here and that's great. Most of the time it's Pentax bashing and advertising for your blog. No brand deserves your type of "help".
08-30-2008, 07:25 AM   #118
Pentaxian

I'm getting to this quite late but if I remember the K10D was in the thousand dollar range when it first came out and the price dropped down to 800 and the mail order places had them even cheaper. The K20D prices are already dropping some. Much of this is due to the current inflation, devalued US Dollars, and increased manufacturing costs and shipping costs in the supply chain. If you don't believe it, dig out some old receipts from a couple of years ago and stroll around comparing prices. All the newer cameras from ALL the manufacturers are higher than the models they replaced. Wait until next year, I'll bet the K20D is well under a thousand but then there will "new" model rolling out.
08-30-2008, 07:54 AM   #119
Veteran Member

???

QuoteOriginally posted by Peter Zack Quote
I'm not defending it Rice High. I freely admit that I don't own this camera and can't speak directly to the positive or negative aspects of it's use.

I just don't take anything you say at face value. Sometimes you offer some help here and that's great. Most of the time it's Pentax bashing and advertising for your blog. No brand deserves your type of "help".
I still cannot see your "point" of "not owing a camera and thus can't make a comment". Do we need to buy every camera just to compare a 2.7" 230k pixel LCD on the back of a DSLR against a 3" 920k one for which one is better, say??
08-30-2008, 07:01 PM   #120
Pentaxian
Moderator Emeritus

If I reviewed the 5D based on the brochure and spec sheets and came down hard on it for this or that. You'd be all over me (rightly so) for never using the camera and be saying that I have no place reviewing a camera I've never touched. Nuff said.