Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 09:59 AM   #16
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Original Poster
My problems started when I started using a K-5. Maybe it is too tight. I do keep my cards in my wallet in the compartment that might contain a few coins, but I don't squeeze the wallet. What breaks is those little plastic things that separate the contacts. Then a bit later the card just splits into half, or the lack of the contacts mean the contacts don't get enough pressure in the SD slot and don't make contact.

A few microSD slots don't take much space. And you could make do with only having one of them connected, but several slots. Like a disc changer in the car you just select via a switch which one makes contact. Have 4 cards in the camera. No need to ever remove them.

WiFi is slow. That is the main problem.

The are indeed a bit small... Fair enough.

As for the spring... Can be fixed by using a less strong spring or by using a different mechanism.

To be honest I would already be happy if they form the rubber seals around the camera so that we can store a few microSD cards in them.

Having the second SD slot as a microSD for space reasons would be ok, otherwise I will use adapters.

Btw., it looks like yet another card got killed. I wasn't able to read any data from my microSD card anymore. Swapped the adapter, it is working again. Will have to try later when I have moved all my files (to be safe).

07-28-2015, 10:29 AM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,934
I'm going to go with the problem is you. I'm guessing you sit on this wallet that you're carrying these around in? They're not designed to be bent.

I have several SD cards. The only time they're not either in a camera or in the grip storage slot is when they're in my laptop (or sitting in a drawer unless I specifically need them, for the FLUcard and the EyeFi card). I don't see a need to have a bunch of them and change them regularly, but maybe your workflow requires that. If it does, why on earth don't you get something that actually protects them? There are tons of nice, compact, inexpensive card wallets out there for under $20. Example:
http://www.amazon.com/Pelican-Black-Memory-Protective-Replaces/dp/B005D2JE2A...H0R7781JP6P8SV
07-28-2015, 11:44 AM   #18
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I'm going to go with the problem is you. I'm guessing you sit on this wallet that you're carrying these around in? They're not designed to be bent.

I have several SD cards. The only time they're not either in a camera or in the grip storage slot is when they're in my laptop (or sitting in a drawer unless I specifically need them, for the FLUcard and the EyeFi card). I don't see a need to have a bunch of them and change them regularly, but maybe your workflow requires that. If it does, why on earth don't you get something that actually protects them? There are tons of nice, compact, inexpensive card wallets out there for under $20. Example:
Amazon.com: Pelican 0915 Black SD Memory Card Protective Case Replaces 0910: Computers & Accessories
The wallet is usually in my camera bag, I never, ever, sit on it. At the very best it is in my front pocket, but it won't get squeezed there.

The K-5 slot is a bit of a tight fit. I do think that is what kills the cards, maybe something went wrong with my camera.

In any case, a microSD card seems harder to break, at least the Samsung ones. The only problem is that they are a bit fumbly and small and easy to lose. With SD there are plenty of thin and flimsy plastic bits that, when gone, mean the card is useless.

Oh and I did for a while use a case for my cards, the one where you clip them in. It tore apart a card or two... Split into two.
07-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #19
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,284
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I do keep my cards in my wallet in the compartment that might contain a few coins,
I think that is the issue. My wife always puts her cell phone in her pocket. I never do. Same phone three times in a row. Same phone, same carrier, same in service date, same salesperson. Mine works perfectly, hers has all kinds of issues with the buttons, with the screen with random shut offs, etc. Three times in a row. I maintain it is because it gets bent & twisted in her pocket despite no evidence of any stress.
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
A few microSD slots don't take much space. And you could make do with only having one of them connected, but several slots. Like a disc changer in the car you just select via a switch which one makes contact. Have 4 cards in the camera. No need to ever remove them.
OK, I gotta ask. Why? How many images do you take before downloading? My record is 550. Which fits just fine on a 32gb card. If you are shooting enough images to need 4x32gb cards in the camera how on earth do you process them all? And what do you do with them?
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
Having the second SD slot as a microSD for space reasons would be ok, otherwise I will use adapters.
Why not just use adapters anyway? Then no one is limited. There is no performance penalty with the adapter is there?

07-28-2015, 01:31 PM   #20
Pentaxian
Not a Number's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Venice, CA
Posts: 3,894
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The only problem is that they are a bit fumbly and small and easy to lose. With SD there are plenty of thin and flimsy plastic bits that, when gone, mean the card is useless.
A lost card is useless too.
07-28-2015, 02:45 PM   #21
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I think that is the issue. My wife always puts her cell phone in her pocket. I never do. Same phone three times in a row. Same phone, same carrier, same in service date, same salesperson. Mine works perfectly, hers has all kinds of issues with the buttons, with the screen with random shut offs, etc. Three times in a row. I maintain it is because it gets bent & twisted in her pocket despite no evidence of any stress.

OK, I gotta ask. Why? How many images do you take before downloading? My record is 550. Which fits just fine on a 32gb card. If you are shooting enough images to need 4x32gb cards in the camera how on earth do you process them all? And what do you do with them?

Why not just use adapters anyway? Then no one is limited. There is no performance penalty with the adapter is there?
I usually empty my cards at the end of a day. My record? Something around 3000 photos? I sometimes do HDR panoramas, which may consist of 5x70 photos. So I'm going through plenty of space. I also tend to record plenty of video, say at a concert, and I can squeeze roughly 50 minutes onto one 32 GB card, and that's without photos.

Usually I stay below 64 GB of data, so 2 cards is enough. But maybe someone is going on holiday and wants to bring plenty of space, without having to bring a computer.

Maybe Pentaxians are too conservative.

But yeah, adapters will do. It's not optimal, but since there is really low demand apparently for a change there's no point in pissing off so many users.
07-28-2015, 02:54 PM   #22
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,284
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
I usually empty my cards at the end of a day. My record? Something around 3000 photos? I sometimes do HDR panoramas, which may consist of 5x70 photos. So I'm going through plenty of space. I also tend to record plenty of video, say at a concert, and I can squeeze roughly 50 minutes onto one 32 GB card, and that's without photos.
That is amazing. I cannot imagine trying to work through that many images. And I forgot all about video, that does take more space of course.
07-28-2015, 06:19 PM   #23
Pentaxian
redrockcoulee's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Medicine Hat
Posts: 2,096
When we were in Scotland we shot about 380 gb of images. We used a Wolverine as backup. We also had an adapter so we could read our SD cards on out tablets. I have trouble getting the Mico cards in and out. SD cards are much smaller than CF cards AT least. I do not see much point in using the micro cards when you can also get a card holder that attaches to the camera strap or bag. Too easy to lose would be my concern.

07-28-2015, 06:21 PM   #24
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is amazing. I cannot imagine trying to work through that many images. And I forgot all about video, that does take more space of course.
In this case it's not so hard... you just systematically reduce them until there's only one photo... the hundreds of photos are just the source, small parts of a whole big thing. See the photos that should result into the final one (imagine someone walking through the image, or you doing something wrong, etc.), the rest will be hidden and later deleted. Then export everything as TIFF, use Photomatix for example to merge the bracketed shots into a 32 bit EXR file... down from 5x70 to 70. Load those 70 into PTGui and let that do its magic. In the end you'll have one photo that can be edited, tone mapped in Lightroom etc.

I do tend to take more photos than necessary, i.e. when it gets dark I might burst, etc. I wouldn't edit them all... I sort out too. Unwanted shots are deleted or converted to lossy DNG.

I think if my camera had microSD slots I would make more use of the USB port... which hopefully should be USB Type C or at least microUSB. I hate it that cameras like to have their own USB cable, that makes it quite useless. So basically if there is the choice between several microSD cards (not necessarily 4, maybe 2 is enough, maybe 3) they would go in once, and stay there. The camera would have 4x32 GB for example, and that's treated as fixed storage that should simply last.

USB host with support for NTFS would be really appreciated (by me) too. Plug in an external hard drive, copy the files to it.
07-28-2015, 06:34 PM   #25
mee
Site Supporter




Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 5,251
I am stymied how you break an SD card. I've yet to see an SD card break.. or even read of one until this thread! And I have kabillions of them.

I'd would be interested in seeing how much force you are using to insert these SD cards into your camera. I can only assume you are slamming them in there pretty hard and fast. I use a modicum of force.. just enough to get it to click in place.. thats really all it takes and never a broken card.

Basically though it sounds like you want your camera to function as a smartphone or tablet.. a tablet PC with a mirrorless camera in one. hehehe
07-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #26
Pentaxian




Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,274
I've had the casing of an SD card split open after maybe 3 years of use. No excessive force, never stored in my wallet or anywhere I was likely to sit on it - it went from camera to card reader and directly back again. The brand was OCZ and a little bit of glue held it back together, though I relegated it to back up back up SD card duty (it's tucked away in a hidden pocket in my camera bag for the times I forget to put an SD card in the camera and I had also left the battery grip at home (which contains my backup SD card)).

I need tweezers to operate microSD cards, so I'm opposed if MicroSD meant the removal of the regular SD card slots. I'd actually like WiFi to do all my transferring so I never have to use a cable or take the card out of the camera again but alas, no WiFi on the k5iis and I haven't gotten around to getting one of those wifi enabled sd cards.
07-28-2015, 07:22 PM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
narual's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: South Bend (Notre Dame), Indiana
Posts: 1,934
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
That is amazing. I cannot imagine trying to work through that many images. And I forgot all about video, that does take more space of course.
It's not that hard. When you're doing HDR, 2-5 of them are essentially duplicates, so 3000 shots might be 600 unique images.

I regularly shoot 1500-2000 shots on any given outing. I can handle that. When I hit about 6-10k in a day, I get overwhelmed and end up ignoring them. (Going to Lincoln park zoo + conservatory in Chicago does it every time).
07-28-2015, 07:48 PM   #28
Site Supporter
disco_owner's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Sydney
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 1,608
I turned up to a birthday party once as the designated photographer and when it came to taking shots I forgot the SD card in the K5 IIs . so I ran to a convinient store and bought a cheap Adaptor , Used the 32 gb Micro SD card out of my Samsung S3 and shot the whole party with it. Since then I carry a Micro SD adaptor in my kit for emergency.
07-28-2015, 08:11 PM   #29
Site Supporter
jatrax's Avatar

Join Date: May 2010
Location: Oregon
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 10,284
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
I regularly shoot 1500-2000 shots on any given outing. I can handle that. When I hit about 6-10k in a day, I get overwhelmed and end up ignoring them. (Going to Lincoln park zoo + conservatory in Chicago does it every time).
100 a day is a lot for me on an outing. When working maybe 200-300 of which maybe 50 will actually get processed. I think if I came home with 2,000 shots in a day I would just quit photography.

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 08:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
So basically if there is the choice between several microSD cards (not necessarily 4, maybe 2 is enough, maybe 3) they would go in once, and stay there.
Why can't you do that with SD cards? 2x64gb and you are the same place. Never take them out, just use the cable.
07-29-2015, 01:21 AM   #30
Pentaxian




Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 2,609
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mee Quote
I am stymied how you break an SD card. I've yet to see an SD card break.. or even read of one until this thread! And I have kabillions of them.

I'd would be interested in seeing how much force you are using to insert these SD cards into your camera. I can only assume you are slamming them in there pretty hard and fast. I use a modicum of force.. just enough to get it to click in place.. thats really all it takes and never a broken card.

Basically though it sounds like you want your camera to function as a smartphone or tablet.. a tablet PC with a mirrorless camera in one. hehehe
I don't think I am particularly rough on my cards The slot in my camera does require some force, maybe it is a bit too tight? Tighter than it should be for this camera? Maybe something went wrong in... the Philippines?

A bit smartphone functionality wouldn't hurt IMHO, as long as it is easy enough to use and it doesn't affect those who don't want to use the new features... for them the camera should feel/be used the same as before. I think that is crucial for acceptance.
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
I've had the casing of an SD card split open after maybe 3 years of use. No excessive force, never stored in my wallet or anywhere I was likely to sit on it - it went from camera to card reader and directly back again. The brand was OCZ and a little bit of glue held it back together, though I relegated it to back up back up SD card duty (it's tucked away in a hidden pocket in my camera bag for the times I forget to put an SD card in the camera and I had also left the battery grip at home (which contains my backup SD card)).

I need tweezers to operate microSD cards, so I'm opposed if MicroSD meant the removal of the regular SD card slots. I'd actually like WiFi to do all my transferring so I never have to use a cable or take the card out of the camera again but alas, no WiFi on the k5iis and I haven't gotten around to getting one of those wifi enabled sd cards.
Exactly. They like to split up. Or at least lose those plastic separators between the contacts, at which point there isn't enough pressure on the contacts inside the slot --> it stops working.

The problem is with WiFi you'd be spending a couple of seconds per image, it might take a long time to transfer the data. Besides using USB to transfer the photos it should also be able to charge the battery inside the camera. Basically the workflow would be you come home, plug in the camera to your computer via a standard cable you have anyway, move the photos and the next morning the battery is full and the SD card is empty.
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
It's not that hard. When you're doing HDR, 2-5 of them are essentially duplicates, so 3000 shots might be 600 unique images.
Actually those 3000 will end uip being maybe 6 or 7 photos? HDR panoramas can consist of a ton of photos...

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
100 a day is a lot for me on an outing. When working maybe 200-300 of which maybe 50 will actually get processed. I think if I came home with 2,000 shots in a day I would just quit photography.

---------- Post added 07-28-15 at 08:13 PM ----------


Why can't you do that with SD cards? 2x64gb and you are the same place. Never take them out, just use the cable.
Many of my photos may be duplicates... I set my camera to high speed burst, and sometimes I don't let go fast enough. Or I do want to burst, because of low light (so that at least one is sharp), it's about a facial expression that I want to capture, etc... I won't process all of them.

Fair enough, though right now the USB port is not really useful, at least on my K-5. Also people, me included, want to have the space on several cards just in case one fails.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
adapter, camera, card, cards, day, dslr, lot, microsd, pcb, photography, sd, shots, slot, slots, space
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suggestion Feature Request: Repeating 1st Posts Jens Lyn IV Site Suggestions and Help 1 10-10-2014 02:03 PM
microSD card on K30 mtux Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 7 12-21-2013 12:07 PM
Pentax K-3 Dual Slots: Bug? Adam Pentax K-3 14 11-04-2013 11:22 PM
How will you use dual SD slots? audiobomber Pentax K-3 66 10-23-2013 10:24 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:35 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top