Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-29-2015, 04:40 AM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kadajawi Quote
The problem is with WiFi you'd be spending a couple of seconds per image, it might take a long time to transfer the data. Besides using USB to transfer the photos it should also be able to charge the battery inside the camera. Basically the workflow would be you come home, plug in the camera to your computer via a standard cable you have anyway, move the photos and the next morning the battery is full and the SD card is empty.
For the high volume shooter, I hear you. For me WiFi should get everything transferred by the time the coffee's ready.

I dislike the cable to the camera arrangement, I managed to break off the cable port on my k100d when I picked it up from the desk and it was still plugged in to the computer. User error of course.

07-29-2015, 05:45 AM   #32
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BrianR Quote
For the high volume shooter, I hear you. For me WiFi should get everything transferred by the time the coffee's ready.

I dislike the cable to the camera arrangement, I managed to break off the cable port on my k100d when I picked it up from the desk and it was still plugged in to the computer. User error of course.
Another problem with WiFi is the power consumption, while over USB the camera could be charged.

It's a shame USB Type C can't have a MagSafe like connector. But I suppose Apple would charge for it... Hopefully it will be more robust though. Maybe if the camera has several, since it can replace HDMI, USB and the power socket (and please, charge the battery via USB*). If one dies, you still have another. Or if they make it in an easily replaceable way...

* This should get astrophotographers all excited... You wouldn't be limited by the battery inside the camera, or have to have a generator + the power brick. Use a USB power bank plugged into the camera. Start the capture, when the power bank is drained the camera will automatically use the internal battery. Swap power bank (when you use a long enough cable the camera won't be touched), the internal battery will be slowly filled again and the power bank is used to run the camera. Simple, neat, all with off the shelf components you can buy anywhere.
07-29-2015, 07:07 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

That would be nice, but in apple's silly quest for ultimate thinness they've gotten rid of MagSafe now.
07-29-2015, 07:23 AM   #34
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by narual Quote
That would be nice, but in apple's silly quest for ultimate thinness they've gotten rid of MagSafe now.
I think it is more to do with patents. They probably won't give the consortium the right to the patent. Or maybe it was decided to be too expensive for manufacturers...? But they do want to use the Type C connector, because it is so great. So MagSafe is gone.

07-29-2015, 08:02 AM   #35
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Groan...

Groan...

Groan...

In all due respect, I find micro-SD to be fiddly, fragile, and easy to lose. Then there is the matter of the adapter that will not stay found. (No, the card readers on my computer do not feature native support for micro-SD.)

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 07-29-2015 at 08:11 AM.
07-29-2015, 08:27 AM   #36
Pentaxian

I think the design philosophy of microSD is for small electronic device and meant to be kept in the device most of the time. SD format was designed to be a lot tougher and I fail to see the merits of adding microSD card slot in DSLR; but for smaller cameras like the Q series, may be... just IMHO...
07-29-2015, 09:45 AM   #37

Photos: Gallery

It's a shame USB Type C can't have a MagSafe like connector. But I suppose Apple would charge for it... .
I just backed this- for micro USB. Stretch goal is C, which they are getting close to!

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1041610927/znaps-the-9-magnetic-adapter...r-mobile-devic
07-29-2015, 03:31 PM   #38
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Well, as far as I am concerned microSD is by far tougher than SD, but then again I seem to be pretty alone in killing SD cards. I simply don't trust thin plastic bits, they break way too easily. However microSD is a bit problematic due to the size, you are right aleonx3 in that they are meant to stay in the device. They indeed are. Given the low demand I suppose using adapters is the best option, and it is one I can live with.

I would still love it if they could mold the rubber seals so that they can hold microSD cards (or even SD cards, but that might not work for size reasons). It might not be a feature that many here will use, but the cost involved is probably pretty minimal (just create the molding with that in mind...), there aren't any downsides, ... That way I can always have say 2 microSD cards in the camera, when I need the second one I just take out the full one from the adapter, open one of those rubber seals, swap the microSD card and continue to shoot. I can then keep the microSD card without adapter (from which it can fall out) in a location where I can't lose it.

Yeah, I saw that Kickstarter. I use several different cables over the day though, and charge all sorts of devices via microUSB, so it's not that practical. Certainly it would be better if by default the USB cables were designed this way, and Type C would be a perfect chance to do it.

07-29-2015, 03:39 PM   #39
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I would still love it if they could mold the rubber seals so that they can hold microSD cards (or even SD cards, but that might not work for size reasons). It might not be a feature that many here will use, but the cost involved is probably pretty minimal (just create the molding with that in mind...), there aren't any downsides, ... That way I can always have say 2 microSD cards in the camera, when I need the second one I just take out the full one from the adapter, open one of those rubber seals, swap the microSD card and continue to shoot. I can then keep the microSD card without adapter (from which it can fall out) in a location where I can't lose it.
Just a thought but I think the battery grip has space for spare cards. Not positive I don't use a grip.

What I have used are tiny Tamrac pouches that go on the camera strap and hold two SD cards in their cases. I had one on my strap for years and my wife still does. I stopped using it when I got the k-3 as I found I never used more than the 'in camera' memory cards. The one I use might be discontinued but it is perfect in size and don't even notice it on the strap. You could probably fit 20 micro cards in one
07-29-2015, 04:04 PM   #40
Pentaxian

Well, as far as I am concerned microSD is by far tougher than SD, but then again I seem to be pretty alone in killing SD cards. I simply don't trust thin plastic bits, they break way too easily. However microSD is a bit problematic due to the size, you are right aleonx3 in that they are meant to stay in the device. They indeed are. Given the low demand I suppose using adapters is the best option, and it is one I can live with.

Yeah, I saw that Kickstarter. I use several different cables over the day though, and charge all sorts of devices via microUSB, so it's not that practical. Certainly it would be better if by default the USB cables were designed this way, and Type C would be a perfect chance to do it.
I can appreciate your dilemma and (not so pleasant) experience with SD card... actually SD cards are thicker and tougher than microSD (thinner), and that's why Sandisk as well as other manufacturers (PNY, Transend, Lexar.. etc.) offer life time warranty if it breaks.

Your next question is (if I understand correctly): can we have some dummy space in the camera where I can store the extra SD/microSD card? I think the answer is not in the camera but in the camera straps. I use a cheap shoulder strap (Caden quick strap from fleabay) that includes a nice zipped pocket in the shoulder pad. That is the place where I keep extra SD card and viewfinder cap (just in case I need it).

Last edited by aleonx3; 07-29-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: added more info
07-30-2015, 06:25 AM   #41
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I don't use a battery grip either... I'd like my camera to be smaller, not bigger.

I think the main reason why those brands offer lifetime warranties is because no one uses them anyway. I've had several cards break, I never sent it in. The shipping cost would have almost exceeded the (by then) value of the card, and then there is the risk of them rejecting it. Might as well just buy a new card and be done with it. microSD cards also come with long warranties, Standard and EVO cards from Samsung with 5 years, Pro with 10 years. And I think the reason why those cheaper cards only have 5 years is because they want to give people a reason to buy Pro. They could give 200 year warranties... in 5 years I can probably get a 2 TB card for $20. Who would send in a 32 GB card?

Yes, that's my next question. I can fit a couple of microSD cards into the camera, the seals just don't sit flush. Tiny modifications (and there is the space to do so) would fix that... maybe I'll do it myself. That's not a problem with microSD. The alternative (not so pretty IMHO) is using some small bags, yes. Maybe I'll do that.
07-30-2015, 11:18 AM   #42
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Do you use the vertical grip? It has a slot for a spare SD card in it, but there's extra room between that and the battery. You could get some https://sugru.com and mold a space to hold a half dozen microSD cards in place if you so desired. (don't do it on the spot the SD card fits - you'll bump into the contact springs for the AA battery tray)