Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2008, 11:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Photography Magazines...Do you buy them if they have Pentax DSLRs articles?

Is it just me?

Once a week or more, I can be seen in Barnes & Nobles, looking at what's new on the shelves in the photography section and the magazines section. I usually find all of the new photography magazines on the rack and bring them with me in the coffee section. I sit at a table, order myself a Starbuck coffee, and I scan through all the magazines.

The first thing I do is look if there are any reviews of any of the Pentax equipment. I then put those magazines aside. Here in California, or at least where I live, you can get all of the American published magazines, one from Canada and most of the magazines published in the United Kingdom. The American magazines are priced from about $5.00 to $8.00. The Canadian Magazine "Photo Life" is priced at $5.95 and the United Kingdom magazines are very expensive at $10.00 to $12.00 and more. (It's understandable because of the shipping costs, I guess).

The magazines from the U.K. usually have a lot more detailed "How to" sections about photography in general. The advertisements are not very useful to me as equipment prices are generally higher than here in the United States. So, most of the times, I read the U.K. magazines at the book store and put them back on the shelves except when they have very informative Pentax material. They simply cost too much for what you get out of them. If they were priced about the same as the U.S. magazines, I probably would buy them all.

Next, I go through all the U.S. magazines that have no special review or article about Pentax. I'm looking for articles that can help me be a better photographer. I have been reading or buying photography magazines since I was about fifteen years old. It is amazing to see the same subjects coming back over and over again through the years. They are brought back by new authors, with a few twists for the Digital SLR cameras, but Aperture, Shutter Speeds, Rule-of-Third, Depth of Field, etc, are still meaning the same as before. It is useful for folks that are just getting into photography and want to learn as much as they can. Frankly, Photography Books are a better resource for entry-level photographers. They have a lot more to offer in terms of learning the trade. They are a little more costly than magazines, but you usually get all what you need in one book, instead of many magazines. That said, magazines do sell a lot, otherwise there wouldn't be so many on the stands every Month. I buy at least $50.00 of magazines myself every Month and occasionally, I buy a new book. I tend to buy books about the computer side of photography, such as Lightroom, Photoshop, etc.

Books for the Pentax DSLRs are rare and I believe that here in the USA, the Magic Lantern publishing company and I are the only two resources for Pentax DSLRs cameras. Although I write books for the Pentax cameras, I have purchased the Magic Lantern K10D and K20D books. If there were more Pentax books, I would buy them all.

I always purchase the Canadian magazine "Photo Life". I like their approach to photography and it always remind me of where I'm from, being a Canadian expatriated to California.

When I visit my family in Montreal, which is not very often, I always purchase every magazine available in French. I do like "Chasseur D'images" which is published in France but available in Canada. I tried to subscribe to it but it seems that they do not ship their magazine to the United States. Oh well...

Now, back to the magazines with Pentax reviews that I have set aside, I'm usually done with my coffee by then, and I just proceed to the check out and purchase them all. I put myself to sleep every night reading my magazines. It sometimes takes me a week to read a magazine because I fall asleep in the middle of an article and try to get back to it the next night, or the night after that, all depending on how tired I am. I read every article, every ad of all the magazines I purchase. I clip everything Pentax so that I can refer to them when I write a new book about Pentax DSLRs or just for reference.

I would say that I might be a little obsessed with my Pentax equipment, but isn't it what all Pentaxians do?

Thank you for reading, and I hope you didn't fall asleep at the keyboard. That's best done with magazines. Let me know what your approach to magazines is.

Yvon Bourque

Pentax DSLRs: Is it just me?

Attached Images

06-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
Damn Brit

Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Sorry Yvonne I couldn't resist that. Seriously, I found your post an interesting read. I don't think it's just you but you may just have a lot more stamina than others. I do a lot of what you do but sprinter fashion, that is, I can't keep it up for long.
Thank you for sharing that part of your life with us.
Gary
06-15-2008, 11:28 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I'm impressed by your thorough approach, Yvon. Me, I subscribe. Currently, I take Outdoor Photographer and Shutterbug; in the past, American Photographer and Modern Photography. I don't hang out in bookstores much, as I always wind up busting my budget if I do go!
06-16-2008, 08:01 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I browse through the bookstores sometimes also. Around this area the bookstores are sadly lacking in the area of photo magazines. There are very few. Maybe they all folded up now that we are in the digital age. Too bad. The ones I purchase have articles on things i'm learning like using Photoshop which I bought a couple of months ago. I wouldn't buy one for the camera reviews unless I was shopping for a new one which I'm not at the moment. I'm quite happy with my K10D. I buy Outdoor Photographer. I like the mag and it has good articles that I learn a lot from. The others are foreign and expensive and I only buy one if I see one with articles I want. I have been to Shutterbug's online magazine but haven't one in print in years. As I mentioned, the stores in this area are lacking. I prefer the printed magazine to the online versions. It's nice to plop down in the chair and read.

06-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #5
Veteran Member

All photography magazines here are just one big multi-page ad for Canon and Nikon, sometimes Sony. Consequently, I have no need or reason to buy them. :ugh:
06-16-2008, 11:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by ftpaddict Quote
All photography magazines here are just one big multi-page ad for Canon and Nikon, sometimes Sony. Consequently, I have no need or reason to buy them. :ugh:
Awww, that's just not true. Sometimes they are an ad for lenses, tripods, lights, filters, etc that you can attach to a Pentax, and bags you can put your Pentax in.
06-16-2008, 11:29 AM   #7
Veteran Member

once i realized you can read stuff on the internet for free, i stopped buying things that you otherwise have to pay money for.

save some trees, and personal living space, those magazines have to go somewhere.
06-16-2008, 11:30 AM   #8
Veteran Member

More seriously, I don't have the 'time' for most photo mags, even the good ones, i.e. B&W photography etc. I used to read Pop Photo at the dentist's, but decided to subscribe as they are essentially giving the mag away with a subscription.

The 'first time around' in the '70's I learned a lot about photography by reading Modern and Popular. Then, I stopped reading when I was seeing the same material for the third time.

06-16-2008, 03:29 PM   #9

The only photography magazine I've been buying recently is JPG, largely because it isn't filled with tests and reviews. The magazine is made up of often inspiring photographs, and brief articles about some of the photographers and why they do what they do.
06-16-2008, 06:36 PM   #10
Damn Brit

I have just subscribed to a high quality quarterly magazine called 'Life Images' (Stampington & Company: Rubber stamps, arts and crafts, and scrapbooking ideas by Stampington & Company!). It's not cheap, $14.99, but it is basically a magazine about photographers and their photographs. Nearly every page, their is little advertising, includes a photograph accompanied by words from the photographer; a poem, inspiration behind the photo etc. All types of photographers and photography are included. Each issue has a featured portfolio. This issue had a portfolio by Kathleen Russ, a multimedia artist, who uses a Pentax 35mm camera. One of my favorite pictures in the magazine is taken by a Pentax Optio S55. That and Kathleen Russ's were the only Pentax submissions. If anyone wants to know details for submitting photos to the magazine, let me know. There are also challenges in the magazine that photographers can submit to.
Gary
06-17-2008, 12:35 AM   #11

Picked up the one and only Camera magazine of my life called Digital Camera, when I decided to buy a Pentax and it carried a K20D review. I may subscribe for one in the future, but haven't given it a serious thought yet.

Cheers
Nish
06-17-2008, 05:20 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Awww, that's just not true. Sometimes they are an ad for lenses, tripods, lights, filters, etc that you can attach to a Pentax, and bags you can put your Pentax in.

Over here they're pretty much 100% Nikanon. I'd send you an issue, to demonstrate, but I can't be bothered.
06-17-2008, 06:07 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Save the Earth

QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
once i realized you can read stuff on the internet for free, i stopped buying things that you otherwise have to pay money for.

save some trees, and personal living space, those magazines have to go somewhere.
Yes, I fully agree. Save the Earth. Actually, I found that the Internet has far more useful information than most of those magazines and books.
06-17-2008, 06:02 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Yes, I fully agree. Save the Earth. Actually, I found that the Internet has far more useful information than most of those magazines and books.
I think you made a typo and said usefull, not useless.

Dave
06-17-2008, 07:06 PM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I bought every magazine with a Pentax DSLR in it for a year. Then I bought my K10D, and only buy magazines that review Pentax lenses. I have on line subscriptions to Pop Photo (won't renew) and American Photo (might renew) and hard copy subscriptions to Outdoor Photographer and Chasseur d'Images. OP might go if the budget gets tight, but some of the photos are inspiring. C d'I is a keeper. Expensive subscription, but articles on gear are accompanied by articles on how to and inspiring photos as well.