Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 08:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Viewfinder info is very dim on K-r.

Is it possible to brighten the information provided in the view finder on a K-r? I turned up the brightness on the LCD screen, thinking that might help, but it made no difference. On both my K-50s, the info is very bright, but on the K-r it's much dimmer, almost to the point of being unusable.

07-28-2015, 08:25 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The K-r has a pentamirror viewfinder which overall is dimmer than a pentaprism but the viewfinder displays should be bright enough to be usable. There doesn't seem to be a setting to adjust this - perhaps in the debug or service menu.
07-28-2015, 08:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
The K-r has a pentamirror viewfinder which overall is dimmer than a pentaprism but the viewfinder displays should be bright enough to be usable. There doesn't seem to be a setting to adjust this - perhaps in the debug or service menu.

Indoors, it seems to be bright enough, but out doors.... UGH!
07-28-2015, 09:54 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
How close do you have your eye to the viewfinder? If your eye is back a bit eg for comfort or you are using glasses, then in bright outdoor conditions there is probably a lot of light coming in via the viewfinder opening, and the LED display is struggling to compete. A larger rubber cup around the viewfinder opening may help a lot if this is the issue. I would imagine Ebay would have some third party viewfinder cups for a few bucks that would fit Pentax. The existing rubber will slide off in an upward direction and the new rubber cup slides down in its place. Pentax has only changed its viewfinder accessories mounting system once I think in the last 40 years or so (sometime around the change from K to M series film SLRs???, but other more knowledgeable people please chime in if I am incorrect), so make sure you get correct fitment for a Kr should you choose to go down this path.