Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-30-2015, 07:18 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter

Extended Warranty Inspection

Has anyone ever taken advantage of the one time inspection (Included with this warranty is one free complete check-up to be done anytime during the extended warranty period. The inspection covers all camera functions to ensure each meets factory specifications.) included with the 2 year Pentax Warranty Extension? Is so could you share your experience? Also has anyone used it with Precision. My K-3 has been problem free but it is only a few months from it's second birthday so its now or never for the inspection. I do not want to do it if it is just a perfunctory looking over, but it would be worthwhile if they acrually bring seals and such back to new specs. Thanks for sharing your experience.

07-30-2015, 07:25 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
included with the 2 year Pentax Warranty Extension? Is so could you share your experience? Also has anyone used it with Precision. My K-3 has been problem free but it is only a few months from it's second birthday
You might want to double check but it is my understanding the USA Pentax extended warranty is good for two years ADDITIONAL for a total of three years starting from date of purchase.

I did have the 'inspection' performed on a k-5 but that was with the other service guys in Arizona and part of a service return for other issues. So I don't really know if they did the "calibrate and return to factory specs, clean etc" as part of the warranty or part of the service work. The entire thing was covered by the extended warranty with no issues.
07-30-2015, 07:27 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I had the aperture control diaphragm problem with my K-30 and sent it to Precision and asked that they perform this extended warranty checkup service while they had it there. According to the ticket, they did the full cleaning and inspection. Everything looked good, but honestly I didn't see much difference in the camera -- other than they repaired the underexposure problem. I don't know if they do anything to seals -- I always assumed they just cleaned the camera and checked it over to make sure it functioned to factory specs. But I could be wrong.
07-30-2015, 07:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
You might want to double check but it is my understanding the USA Pentax extended warranty is good for two years ADDITIONAL for a total of three years starting from date of purchase.
Yes, of course, thank you for reminding me. Three years total.

07-30-2015, 12:20 PM   #5
Forum Member

I had the extended warranty inspection done on a K-X, by the previous service contractor (CRIS, in Arizona) not long before Pentax switched contractors. So this might not apply to the new arrangement with Precision. But... the whole process took two or three weeks, from send-off to return. The receipt I got indicated that they cleaned it (including sensor), and brought everything to factor specifications. Whether anything was out of factor specification I can't say, because as far as I could tell it was working as well as ever. I did appreciate the apparently thorough sensor cleaning, although I don't think the warranty specifically says sensor cleaning is included. I've got a K-30 that I could send in for the same service, but have been waiting to see how the initial problems people have had working with Precision get resolved.

Also, I called CRIS first to double check all the steps I'd need to follow, etc. I'd do the same with Precision.