Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 08:40 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D firmware upgrade

K20D owners only, look here:

Latest K20D Firmware Update : Software Downloads : PENTAX

I haven't downloaded it myself yet and am not even sure that I will - looks like it addresses a problem I myself have not had.

Will

06-16-2008, 10:05 AM   #2

yipeee

this upgrade addresses the problem with hot pixels on 2 second delay shutter. I found this problem with mine. I'll check this out this week and post results.
06-16-2008, 01:57 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by truonganh Quote
I'll check this out this week and post results.
I'm not sure we can wait that long!

I never tried the 2 second timer route to find hot pixels, so I DO look forward to your results after the update.

I guess now the DP review won't be far behind (assuming the problem is fixed).

Let the next round of bitching commence
06-16-2008, 02:57 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

I haven't downloaded it myself yet and am not even sure that I will - looks like it addresses a problem I myself have not had.

Will
I always want to believe that they don't tell you everything that's in the FW update. So, I always go ahead and down load them.

Who knows what they may have put there.

06-16-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Well I dont own a 16MB SD card so I guess I cant update the firmware unless there is another way?
06-16-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

You don't need 16MB card, card used just has to have more than 16MB free space available.
06-16-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
Well I dont own a 16MB SD card so I guess I cant update the firmware unless there is another way?
What size card are you using in your camera?
06-16-2008, 03:17 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by NicholasN Quote
You don't have to own a 16 MB card! I think you can do it with any card that works in your camera - I would not hesitate to do the upgrade with one of my 8 GB cards - so long as it has at least 16 MB free.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
I always want to believe that they don't tell you everything that's in the FW update. So, I always go ahead and down load them.

Who knows what they may have put there.
Yeah, I'm basically with Ed in GA on this: As a software developer myself, I know that software updates frequently (in the case of my own applications, more or less always) include improvements that are not specified, perhaps because some of them are too technical to mention and perhaps because some of them are, well, basically embarrassing.

I will upgrade but I will probably wait a week or two to see if anybody here reports that the upgrade causes all of his photos to look orange. ;-)

Will

06-25-2008, 09:56 PM   #9

Firmware 1.0 hot pixel...

Sorry i'm so busy lately.

Given the skepticism, i think this problem does not appear to occur on ALL camera. My K20D has it when i used 2 second delay mode. Here are 2 largest hot-pixel that i found in my test on Firmware 1.00

Of course, if you look they are in the same exact area on the frame. Sorry that the mandatory resizing basically have "eliminated" the hot spot so it's not really visible here when resized to only 15% of original size, but i will show it on the next post. I used my Sigma 70 macro here, f4.5, first one at 1/90s and 2nd one at 1/4s. both with a low level flash fill.

I have updated my camera to firmware 1.01, I haven't a chance to test it yet... too busy now to fiddle much with the camera.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 

Last edited by truonganh; 06-25-2008 at 10:33 PM.
06-25-2008, 09:58 PM   #10

so here is the hot pixel at 100% crop. If you look in Picture 1, dark are on the frame shows way more random hot pixels. The one that stuck (there is at least 2 here) seems to be glowing like a star..
Of course, we are pixel peeping here. For the most part it would not be a serious problem. but I am not going to say that it doesn't exist.

Hopefully i would have a chance this weekend to see if the hot pixel is corrected with fw version 1.01... I will post if i found anything good.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K20D  Photo 
06-26-2008, 02:50 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Hot pixels are STILL there!

According to the DPR latest review, they STILL report the hot pixel issue and said that they have never seen those for the DSLRs in recent few years!(?)

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote

Will
06-26-2008, 08:09 AM   #12
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by lbam Quote
.............I guess now the DP review won't be far behind (assuming the problem is fixed).

Let the next round of bitching commence
They'll find something else to blast it for.