Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-31-2015, 04:44 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
KEH SDM Repair

I took a chance and sent off my DA*200 to KEH for replacement of the failed SDM. Two weeks to the day after they received the lens, it arrived today. New SDM AF motor, cleaned and packed very, very well. The lens focuses swiftly and quietly with no issues. KEH included the bad SDM motor in a little Baggie. I am very pleased with the quick service and especially with the fixed price for non-zooms up to 200mm, which was $130, plus $12 shipping.

Six month warranty so believe this lens will be mounted a lot!

Highly recommended repair service. Obviously they can only perform out-of-warranty service, but parts apparently are no problem.

07-31-2015, 05:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by waterfall Quote
I took a chance and sent off my DA*200 to KEH for replacement of the failed SDM. Two weeks to the day after they received the lens, it arrived today. New SDM AF motor, cleaned and packed very, very well. The lens focuses swiftly and quietly with no issues. KEH included the bad SDM motor in a little Baggie. I am very pleased with the quick service and especially with the fixed price for non-zooms up to 200mm, which was $130, plus $12 shipping.

Six month warranty so believe this lens will be mounted a lot!

Highly recommended repair service. Obviously they can only perform out-of-warranty service, but parts apparently are no problem.
Good to know...
07-31-2015, 05:02 PM   #3
mee
Veteran Member

That is a very nice price indeed.. they charge 200 for zooms which is still pretty decent.

Oh an aside, I bought an 'UGLY' grade lens recently from KEH and it arrived in what I'd consider 'gently used' condition. No dents, dings, or scratches... optics fine.. no play in the zoom or focus rings.. That said, the FEDEX driver delivered it to the wrong address (and that person thankfully did the right thing and got it to me) but I've been told from KEH that they can request signature upon delivery if I ask for it on subsequent orders.
07-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Yes, two day air FedEx is an option at about $24 if memory serves. I am very pleased and will keep the dead SDM motor as a souvenir of poor design. The little motor is thick as a nickel coin, diameter about half a bottle cap. Hope my new one is tougher than the original.

07-31-2015, 05:45 PM   #5

The little motor is thick as a nickel coin, diameter about half a bottle cap.
Just curious to see this, could you post a pic?

Very encouraging news overall. Add another positive lens repair report for KEH and no evidence that they sub-contracted it to Precision.
07-31-2015, 05:55 PM   #6
Pentaxian

KEH is a wonderful company, really.
08-01-2015, 05:02 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Recently had the SDM replaced on my DA* 16-50 by KEH with the same great results.

(guess this should be in the lens section....)

08-01-2015, 05:32 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Thank you for sharing this information. I was inquiring about lens repairs besides precision and got a few responses of generally positive experiences with KEH. I also got a lot of recommendations to use Eric Hendrickson so I sent my DA 70 Limited to him for repair. When I get back, and it is almost a month since I sent it to him, I will share my experience on his repair job. My one experience with KEH is a DA 21mm Limited I bought from KEH in LN condition. The lens was truly indistinguishable from a brand new lens and is one of my favorite lenses. Hopefully for now, I will not need to compare Eric to KEH and all of my lenses and bodies will remain trouble free, but it is good to know KEH can be counted on as a quality repair option.
08-01-2015, 05:44 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think Pentax should fix these for free, personally. Horrible design.
08-01-2015, 01:25 PM - 1 Like   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Just curious to see this, could you post a pic?

Very encouraging news overall. Add another positive lens repair report for KEH and no evidence that they sub-contracted it to Precision.
These are the SDM from my repaired lens.

Last edited by waterfall; 01-04-2016 at 06:38 AM.
08-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Wow that little thing sure has a lot of power to move lenses such as the DA* 300 and so.
08-01-2015, 01:58 PM   #12

Awesome! Thanks a lot for sharing.
08-16-2015, 06:47 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I can second this. After precision failed to fix my sdm, and having a local repair what precision broke, I sent my 16-50 to keh to replace the sdm motor. It took less than two weeks, works awesome right out of the box, and I also have my old sdm in the box. Very very happy with the experience!
08-16-2015, 07:39 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Terrible. There should be two of these on the lens, if that's the design they have to use.
10-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #15

Thanks for posting your experience. Based on this, I contacted KEH about repairing the SDM on my 60-250 and they said they had some motors in stock. Sent it to them last Friday and received a note yesterday that it's repaired and a tracking number for the return. Can't wait to check it out since I've been without auto-focus on this lens for nearly a year.