Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Ed in GA

Very, Very unscientific, but of interest

The fellow who provides our Coffee service here at work has a side business as a Wedding Photographer.

When he came by today, he came by my office to show me his new acquisition, a Nikon D3.

I have a chair in my office that has a fairly busy pattern, so he took a shot at ISO6400 to show me how noise free his Nikon is at that ISO. So, naturally, to no be outdone, I had to do she same thing with my K20D. Dispayed on my monitor here at work, neither he nor I could see much, if any, difference between the two shots.

When I started to save his shot, he asked me not to. So, I honored his wishes.

K20D $1,299. D3 $4999.

I was pleased.

Ed

edit: Both shots were taken at f/2.8. I was using the FA31 and he was using the Tamron 28-75 @ f/2.8

06-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Hahaha...isn't that a joyful moment?
Congrats, Ed.

I also just had a similar experience this weekend, comparing my K100D AF speed with my friend's Nikon D2x in a very very dim light.
The result it, they both hunt when it's too dark and they both lock focus (subjectively) at the same time when they lock.
So I'm more than happier with my K100D.
I was testing them with this setting: AF-S at ISO 800 and f/4.

Don't have a chance to test AF-C, maybe next time.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ed in GA Quote
The fellow who provides our Coffee service here at work has a side business as a Wedding Photographer.

When he came by today, he came by my office to show me his new acquisition, a Nikon D3.

I have a chair in my office that has a fairly busy pattern, so he took a shot at ISO6400 to show me how noise free his Nikon is at that ISO. So, naturally, to no be outdone, I had to do she same thing with my K20D. Dispayed on my monitor here at work, neither he nor I could see much, if any, difference between the two shots.

K20D $1,299. D3 $4999.

I was pleased.

Ed
06-16-2008, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Ed,
I sure would like to see some low light test shots. I think that those would be interesting. Were both cameras using ISO 6400? I don't have a K20D, so I wouldn't know if the K20D has ISO6400. This makes me want to rush out and buy one before the rebate is over. If I steal my wifes share of the stimulus check, I should have enough.

Dave

K20D $1,299. D3 $4999.

I was pleased.

Ed
06-16-2008, 01:42 PM   #4
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Big Dave Quote
Ed,
I sure would like to see some low light test shots. I think that those would be interesting. Were both cameras using ISO 6400? I don't have a K20D, so I wouldn't know if the K20D has ISO6400. This makes me want to rush out and buy one before the rebate is over. If I steal my wifes share of the stimulus check, I should have enough.

Dave
Both at ISO 6400

both in Aperature Priority

Mine f/2.8 1/275

His f/2.8 1/300

06-16-2008, 03:39 PM   #5
Veteran Member

pwned
06-16-2008, 05:18 PM   #6
Inactive Account

I am disappointed Ed, I would love to see the result from both cameras.

Cheers,

Rene
06-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

K20D $1,299. D3 $4999.

I was pleased.
Yes but, you can take a D3, beat a K20 to death with it, and then take pictures of the corpse with the Nikon.
Whether this matters to you or not is something else, but for some users a bombproof camera is important.

06-16-2008, 05:57 PM   #8
Ed in GA

QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Yes but, you can take a D3, beat a K20 to death with it, and then take pictures of the corpse with the Nikon.
Whether this matters to you or not is something else, but for some users a bombproof camera is important.
That's interesting. I guess I'll have to get my Coffee guy a bumper sticker that says "My Camera can beat up your Camera."

In all reality, I was very impressed with the Nikon D3 and all of its features. It is definitely a Pro grade camera. 13fps, Full Frame, Dual data cards, very fast AF. and it's very BIG (especially with the grip attached) and its menus seemed fairly easy to navigate.

But, Good old Daves intent was to show off the ISO 6400 and how little noise it had. Thinking of course that I would not want to go head to head with the K20D.

I had a nice smile and he was impressed with the ISO6400 performance of the K20D.
06-16-2008, 07:17 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes wheatfield, but I can take a Nikon F and beat the brains out of your bombproof camera and take shots of its corpse. Wanna try? Could probably take a Graflex speed graphic and whoop them all.

thanks
barondla

No camera that needs a battery to function is bomb proof. Or a charger.
06-16-2008, 07:31 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Ed,

You don't say anything about the light in your office when the shots were taken, or the exposures. It's been my experience that noise is not a simple inevitable and consistent result of a given iso, but rather, it's a result of some combination of iso and settings and available light that I've never been quite able to turn into a calculation. What I do know is, if the light is good - in other words, if I don't absolutely HAVE to use iso 1600, say - I get a better end result than if the light is bad to start with and I have no choice but to shoot at a high ISO and push the exposure up in post-processing.

Here's a quick link to a gallery of test shots I just took with my K20D:

high iso tests with K20D

My messy desk at this particular moment (6-16-2008 7:03PM) is a pretty good high iso test, I think. My desk is right next to a big west-facing window. Sun is going down here in Dallas and the light is waning, so this should would be impossible at iso 400 (say). I took three shots: at iso 3200, 6400 and 1600 respectively. The gallery shows the shots without processing, with processing, and also a screenshot.

What would be most useful would be to export these photos at the basic size needed for, say, 4"x6" prints and then compare the prints. However, I will note the following:

- iso 3200 and 6400 ARE indeed noisy. I am not saying that this is surprising. But from some of the stuff I've read about the K20D, I've gotten the impression that some people think it produces nearly noise-free images even at 3200.

- the iso 3200 and 6400 images ARE usable - if you're pressed.

- I think iso 1600 is better, even when the exposure is pushed up a bit in post-processing (in Bibble Pro).

- I do think the output from the K20D at iso 1600 is better than the output from the K10D at the same iso. Sorry I didn't have the K10D handy or I would have taken a quick shot at 1600 with it, too.

Anyway, while I think the K20D's high-iso performance is very good, I very much doubt that at, say, 3200, it can really compete with the Nikon D3. It's not even a fair fight, pitting the K20D against a full frame sensor. I'm happy with the K20D and seldom dream about the D3 since I can't afford one. And perhaps it's fair to note that the D3 might not be FIVE times better (in other words, as much better as the difference in price).

Will
06-16-2008, 08:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A Pentax prime lens versus a Tamron zoom. What is there to compare?
Of course the Nikon D3 is gonna be handicapped.
06-16-2008, 08:30 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Ed in Ga:

Hey, I love my K20, but have to tell you what you are saying is silly. There is no way the K20 competes, even remotely at ISO 6400. with the D3. I have seen side by side comparisons of the 2 cameras. The ISO performance of the D3 at 6400 is remarkable--perhaps even better than the K20 is at ISO 800. Anyone can compare these two cameras, side by side, here:

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page

Just select the two cameras in question from the drop-down menu, then pick comparable ISO shots. This is a great site for this and other research related to camera performance. Draw your own conclusions.

Regards,

Ernest

"Humanity subdues inhumanity as water subdues fire."

Mencius 6A:18.
06-17-2008, 12:21 AM   #13
axl
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
would be nice if we could see the images....
06-17-2008, 12:27 AM   #14

You will never be able to see the D3 pics, unless he tries again..

QuoteQuote:
Cheers
Nish
06-17-2008, 04:31 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jewelltrail Quote
The ISO performance of the D3 at 6400 is remarkable--perhaps even better than the K20 is at ISO 800. Anyone can compare these two cameras, side by side, here:

Imaging Resource "Comparometer" ™ Digital Camera Image Comparison Page
Thanks for the link. You are right. I would, however, put the point of equal performance nearer to ISO 1600 for the K20D. Because the K20D image would have to be slightly downsized to match the D3 size. Judging form the image sizes, those seem to have been shot in RAW format.

Ed may actually have shot in JPEG and NR strong. Maybe, this would result in more comparable results.