Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 12:25 PM   #1

Photos: Albums
K5

Is the K5 still a viable camera now 5 years later from the release. My K30 broke and KEH gave me an option to upgrade to that and get it in 2 weeks faster for $70. I was wondering if the K5 is still comprable if not better than some newer DSLR's.

08-02-2015, 12:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by kmurphy220 Quote
I was wondering if the K5 is still comprable if not better than some newer DSLR's.
Well it is not 'better' than newer cameras, but compared to k-30 I would think it is a step up. Roughly the same sensor but with 14bit instead of 12bit, Better build and more features as well. So a k-5 for $70 and your k-30 is what is offered? I would jump on it unless you are considering moving to a k-3 or k-3II.
08-02-2015, 12:46 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Is the K5 still a viable camera now 5 years later from the release. My K30 broke and KEH gave me an option to upgrade to that and get it in 2 weeks faster for $70. I was wondering if the K5 is still comprable if not better than some newer DSLR's.
Yeah, a step up over the K-50/K-30 and a step under the K-3 and K-S2 (though the latter has an inferior grip). It's still a good camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-02-2015, 01:03 PM   #4

Original Poster
Yeah Jatrax they figured it was easier for the both of us to do a swap and some cash. Since my K30 was under warranty they take it and I pay them the 70 since the K5 costs more than the K30. And Adam I really didn't want to get a different camera in the first place lol but since my camera broke and they gave me a decent deal I figured I would. Plus I like the mic input on the K5

08-02-2015, 01:12 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've used both though never owned a k-30. IMHO the k-30 is a great camera and takes very nice images. The k-5 is a 'professional' camera and looks and feels that way. There is not a significant difference in image quality for most images but the k-5 has flagship camera features that you might or might not use.

I assume they are giving you a six month warranty on the k-5? You might also ask if they have a k-5IIs or a k-3 available and what they would want for either of those. But IMHO $70 for k-5 is well worth it for the additional features. Just FYI, but if you have extra batteries your k-30 ones will not work on the k-5.
08-02-2015, 01:29 PM   #6

Original Poster
Darn. I thought they were the same batteries. They have a K3 but I don't have $300 laying around lol. So I would rather get the K-5 and stick with it for the next few years
08-02-2015, 02:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

How did the K30 break?

08-02-2015, 02:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
Aperture Lever. Had a lens with bad blades and the lever would get stuck. I used the lens and the lever on my K30 broke. That was a fun day
08-02-2015, 10:35 PM   #9
Brooke Meyer

The K5 is still a good body, kept one of a pair as a backup to my working K5IIs bodies. Been shooting essentially the same body since early 2011. I set my bodies to M and its stays there so two wheels is a big deal to me. The DR and ISO is outstanding which is why I did not go to K3's. I didn't need more resolution but shooting dance in theaters, 14 Bit, DR, High ISO, common batteries and controls I do need.

Sometime next year, I'll be up around 120K on each of my current bodies and will wish I had two new ones in the closet. A 16 MP APS-C as good or better than the K5IIs would be fine. Here's an example why

https://brookemeyerphotography.wordpress.com/2015/07/09/so-you-think-you-can-dance/
08-03-2015, 05:42 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'm still using my K5, it's a workhorse. I'd like to get the new K3II but that budget isn't available right now.
Personally, I'd look for a K5IIs for my work, the AA filter removal is a good feature for macro.

The K5 is inexpensive now, is very sturdy and the Sony 16MB sensor is outstanding. I generally use TAV mode, which I think is very flexible.
08-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yeah Jatrax they figured it was easier for the both of us to do a swap and some cash. Since my K30 was under warranty they take it and I pay them the 70 since the K5 costs more than the K30.
I'm assuming the K-30 warranty was from KEH themselves (or third party), rather than the original Pentax manufacturers warranty (or extended warranty)? Also, since I assume this is a used K-5, did they provide the shutter count? I would agree with Adam that the K-5 is probably a step up from the K-30 but I would hope it is at least in comparable condition.

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
The DR and ISO is outstanding which is why I did not go to K3's. I didn't need more resolution but shooting dance in theaters, 14 Bit, DR, High ISO, common batteries and controls I do need.
Not to side track the thread but I have to agree with you on the challenge of shooting dance on stage. With several family members involved, I am often shooting at a dance recital trying to capture fast movement under poor lighting conditions. Just curious what lenses you are using with the K-5IIs?
08-03-2015, 01:31 PM   #12
Brooke Meyer

QuoteOriginally posted by reduno Quote
Not to side track the thread but I have to agree with you on the challenge of shooting dance on stage. With several family members involved, I am often shooting at a dance recital trying to capture fast movement under poor lighting conditions. Just curious what lenses you are using with the K-5IIs?
Rehearsals ( Space & Tech and Dress) DA12-24 & Tamron 28-75

Performances - DA 50-135 & Sigma 100-300/4

On Stage Promos & Studio DA 17-70

Last edited by Brooke Meyer; 11-05-2015 at 09:36 PM.
08-03-2015, 04:01 PM   #13

Original Poster
I'm assuming the K-30 warranty was from KEH themselves (or third party), rather than the original Pentax manufacturers warranty (or extended warranty)? Also, since I assume this is a used K-5, did they provide the shutter count? I would agree with Adam that the K-5 is probably a step up from the K-30 but I would hope it is at least in comparable condition.

The K5 is in Like New condition which usually means like 2000 Shutter count I believe. My K30 came with 9000 and I put another 5000 on it in about 2 months. And the warranty is thrid party but I would rather buy it and have it and go through the trouble than have no warranty at all.
08-04-2015, 05:25 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
Rehearsals ( Space & Tech and Dress) DA12-24 & Tamron 28-75
Thanks, nice shots! I am usually much further back, so cannot use such short focal lengths. If I nail the focus, I have probably done best with my old Pentax-M 75-150 F4.

The K5 is in Like New condition which usually means like 2000 Shutter count I believe. My K30 came with 9000 and I put another 5000 on it in about 2 months.
Sounds like a good deal to have a "like new" K-5 in partial exchange for a K-30 with 14,000 shots on it.
08-04-2015, 12:23 PM   #15

Original Poster
Thanks, nice shots! I am usually much further back, so cannot use such short focal lengths. If I nail the focus, I have probably done best with my old Pentax-M 75-150 F4.

Sounds like a good deal to have a "like new" K-5 in partial exchange for a K-30 with 14,000 shots on it.
Yeah and I just got off the phone, It only cost an extra $45 not the $70 I was told before so now there's more cash for glass!!! .

Great Shots Brooke! Sorry for not saying sop earlier lol. Sharp as tack and really nice!