Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2015, 12:45 PM   #16

Photos: Albums
Had that happen when I first purchased my "black rapid" strap, send an email and photographs of the damage and clip to the company.
Not sure if they will pay to get it fixed, depends on what is written on the package concerning issues like this.

My camera was fine but I stopped using "black rapid" until they gave me a free enforcement clip,after I brought up the issue of my camera slamming onto the concrete without warning,after talking to the representative at the New York City's Photo Plus Expo.

Also check B&H's review section to see if any other photographers have complained about it, pretty sure it's not an isolated incident.

08-03-2015, 10:02 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sportsgal501 Quote
Also check B&H's review section to see if any other photographers have complained about it, pretty sure it's not an isolated incident.
I did that yesterday when this thread first appeared. The only complaints were that it was not appropriate for belt mounting larger/heavier kit.

Steve
08-04-2015, 02:32 PM - 1 Like   #18
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses folks. The camera will be mailed to Ricoh Canada's repair facilities tomorrow for an estimate. I "dropped" (ouch) by a well-known local dealer today, and was told it "smells" like a three or four hundred dollar thing, but of course that's just an opinion, not an estimate. I might need to sell some lenses to pay for the repair. I also hope it won't take months - there are some horror stories floating around about the Canadian repair facilities. Guess I'll have to go back to shooting with the K-01 in the meantime. At least I have another body, but the level of detail resolved by the K-3 is addictive...

I have heard back from Peak Design, and though from their response I'm not sure they understand my description of what happened, they've responded with empathy. The important part is this: "While our policy does state that we are not responsible, any time someone's gear is damaged due to our products, we evaluate the situation and make an attempt to be fair. Having you as a lifelong customer and ambassador of our products is our highest priority. Have you received a quote for the cost of repair?"

I will follow-up with them once I have a repair estimate.

Now on some specific points:
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
If I can chime in from a neutral corner, and without prejudice to any poster in this thread, just say 'take a chill pill guys' and step back a moment from the keyboard.
Thanks for this. You'll notice I did take some time away from this thread. I still think it's, ah, quite inaccurate and inappropriate to label my original post "unfair dissing" of the Capture Pro when my post was deliberately factual, but the frustration of having just seriously damaged my K-3 made it difficult to respond calmly...

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I have two Capture clips and several Peak plates attached to various camera bodies and lenses. While I really like the Peak design on more than one occasion I thought the camera/lens was attached securely but it actually wasn't and would have fallen out had I not double checked. My advice is simply to make sure you are doing everything correctly, and then always double check. i.e. don't do it the way they show in their videos like a character from Marvel comics! :P
Yes, this is good advice, obviously.

QuoteOriginally posted by cgchang Quote
The Capture Clip has two safety mechanisms, the black tightening knob which secures the plate in place and the red release button can be turned 90 degrees to lock and prevent accidental pushing. Unless I know I'll be taking my camera off Capture to shoot, in which case my hand is on my camera anyway, I tighten the plate in place and lock the release button.
More good advice! FWIW, there's too much friction on the knob of my clip and it's very hard (and slow) to turn (impossible in cold weather), so I tend(ed) to leave it just tight enough that the camera doesn't rattle in the clip, but it's still possible to insert and remove the camera. However, the twist on the red button, well, I don't think I'll ever again put the camera in the clip without twisting the red button! I'm not convinced that an accidental press of this button was the cause of this wreck, as the spring is pretty firm and, at least on mine, quite a bit of travel is necessary to unclip. That and we were just walking at a leisurely pace. I think it's more likely that the camera (and attached plate) had not actually been inserted properly and securely into the clip somehow. Nevertheless, it takes a tenth of a second to use that lock, so...
08-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

FYI, there is now an alternate to the Peak Design Arca Plate from "Three Legged Thing" for just $20 now available at B&H: 3 Legged Thing QR3P Quick-Release Plate QR3P B&H Photo Video

For kicks I just ordered one. When it arrives I'll let people know how well it works as a replacement.

Michael

08-10-2015, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #20
Pentaxian

Sorry to hear about your K-3. I know I would be bummed if the same thing happened to me and even though I love my K-01s it would be hard to go back to them as a primary camera after having gotten used to the K-3.
08-12-2015, 06:55 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just received the repair estimate: $CAN275. Not as bad as I thought it would be to replace the lens mount... To be continued.
02-19-2016, 06:59 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Just received the repair estimate: $CAN275. Not as bad as I thought it would be to replace the lens mount... To be continued.
I planned to buy one of these Capture Pros, but now I am a little bit concerned.

Hope that Ricoh works fast.and PD will Support you in some way.

Is there an alternative? I like the idea of clipping my dslr on my backpack

03-10-2016, 06:53 PM - 1 Like   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pentaphil Quote
I planned to buy one of these Capture Pros, but now I am a little bit concerned.

Hope that Ricoh works fast.and PD will Support you in some way.

Is there an alternative? I like the idea of clipping my dslr on my backpack
I can't recommend this clip highly enough.
I've been using mine without incident for close to two years now, while out over varied terrain and in temperatures from -25F on up .
Mine is attached to the left strap of my pack, right about at my shoulder. It is setup for the camera to enter from the top.
I definitely recommend that you take time setting it up for the best ergonomics for yourself and your pack, and that you practice with it to become proficient in engaging/disengaging your camera from the clip.
With just a little practice, best done before you are out in the field, using the clip does become second nature.
A little dry Teflon lubricant helps slide the plate into the clip.
Attached Images

Last edited by Quartermaster James; 03-10-2016 at 07:03 PM.
03-13-2016, 11:15 AM   #24
csa
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just bought another brand of clip; and I lengthened my neck strap so that it isn't pressing on the neck while the camera is in the clip on the belt. This gives me added security. However, I realize many do not like using a neck strap; but thought I'd throw this out here.

I'm very sorry to hear of your beautiful K3 being damaged; I know it would make me sick if it happened to me. Please keep this thread updated, and hope you have your K3 back soon!
03-14-2016, 07:19 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Sorry to hear of your problems and hope the repair goes well.
I use the Capture Pro with the Pro Pad to support my K-3, often with the DA*300 and TC on the belt of a waist pack that has pouches for a camera and other lenses as well (an old "Optex" product).
While I like the Capture Pro I also find that the plate doesn't always slide all the way in. It also jams sometimes and I'll track down some dry Teflon lube on Quartermaster James' advice.
I would like a waist pack with a stiffer belt than the one I have - I've seen the "Think Tank" system but it doesn't really impress me. When I tighten the knurled knobs against the Pro Pad the camera is held firmly for a few minutes then the knobs seem to loosen, the camera slides down and the whole thing gets quite saggy (maybe the knobs should have hex key recesses?). I normally use my left hand to support the weight of the camera when I'm walking around, releasing it when using binoculars etc. I've thought about having a supplementary strap or nylon string around my neck just in case something goes wrong (not just the Capture - the belt clip could break, for example - I 've already had it replaced once).
I would also like something with a plate that's compatible with my Swarovski telescope tripod (made by Manfrotto) so that I can switch the two back and forth without changing plates.
It's the best system I can find right now, but certainly not perfect.
04-09-2016, 02:43 PM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Hi all,

There's been some activity on this old thread while I was on vacation in Spain - and in all fairness I never updated it with a resolution - so I just wanted to provide everyone with an update.

Peak Design had a very open and friendly attitude when I contacted them. But after I got my camera repaired, I never followed up with them any further. I still don't know how the accident happened exactly - it shouldn't be possible to have the mechanism not engage properly when you clip it. However, I have not stopped using the Capture Pro. It's just that now I always make quite sure the clip is well-engaged and the two locking mechanisms are active. I've also switched from using the clip in a left-right orientation to an up-down one. And I periodically check the tightness of the bolts holding the clip to the backpack strap.

I still feel the Capture Pro is a high quality product, provided you use it with a modicum of care. I think the best advice upthread was this one:

QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I have two Capture clips and several Peak plates attached to various camera bodies and lenses. While I really like the Peak design on more than one occasion I thought the camera/lens was attached securely but it actually wasn't and would have fallen out had I not double checked. My advice is simply to make sure you are doing everything correctly, and then always double check. i.e. don't do it the way they show in their videos like a character from Marvel comics! :P

Michael
06-04-2016, 07:54 PM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
Hi all,

There's been some activity on this old thread while I was on vacation in Spain - and in all fairness I never updated it with a resolution - so I just wanted to provide everyone with an update.

Peak Design had a very open and friendly attitude when I contacted them. But after I got my camera repaired, I never followed up with them any further. I still don't know how the accident happened exactly - it shouldn't be possible to have the mechanism not engage properly when you clip it. However, I have not stopped using the Capture Pro. It's just that now I always make quite sure the clip is well-engaged and the two locking mechanisms are active. I've also switched from using the clip in a left-right orientation to an up-down one. And I periodically check the tightness of the bolts holding the clip to the backpack strap.

I still feel the Capture Pro is a high quality product, provided you use it with a modicum of care. I think the best advice upthread was this one:
It might be worth telling them the quote and seeing what they offer just for future reference. As a company that uses kickstarter to pay for their new designs I doubt they would really cover much or any of the repair.

That said I own several of their products and I am very happy with them myself. Ive never trusted y capture pro and normaly have the camera tethered to the pack or myself in case( in case I struggle perfectly lining it up like always and dont get it in).
06-05-2016, 12:21 AM   #28
PEG Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: Highlands of Scotland... "Hold Infinity in the palm of your hand" - William Blake
Photos: Gallery
Sorry to hear this, I must admit that I don't know this system at all.

But is it possible for the future... to secure an extra loop of web of webbing or similar to give a second chance should something happen like this in the future? sort of "belt and braces" approach.

It would be good to share here on the forum if it's possible.
06-07-2016, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by Kerrowdown Quote
Sorry to hear this, I must admit that I don't know this system at all. But is it possible for the future... to secure an extra loop of web of webbing or similar to give a second chance should something happen like this in the future? sort of "belt and braces" approach. It would be good to share here on the forum if it's possible.

I've used the capture pro for a few years now, without any incident, and that includes having a K-5iis plus DA18-135 mounted on my shoulder strap of my backpack while downhill skiing, sometimes at speeds of 60+ mph (I know, not very smart). Anyway, I highly recommend the product, and am sorry to hear about the OP's K-3 mishap. As for the above question, I know there is an easy way to add additional security, especially if the backpack has a horizontal chest strap. A camera strap or fairly long wrist strap could be looped around the horizontal chest strap and would certainly prevent complete droppage should a failure take place. That of course may impede some of the convenience/efficiency of using the capture one depending on the length of the camera strap/wrist strap, but that is the trade off for peace of mind. I usually use my capture one on a Dakine Vertex backpack, on my left shoulder strap, mounted so that the camera slides in from the top. Occasionally I will have a 2nd lens (i.e heavy 60-250) (in padded pouch) or a smaller point n shoot camera or Ricoh GR dangling from the horizontal chest strap while also having the K-5iis + lens mounted on the capture one on the vertical shoulder strap next to it.. These are not ideal conditions, and I certainly don't ski with that configuration, but I've never had any of those items drop either, so that should give you some sense of the extra security possibilities I'm referring to...
06-07-2016, 11:58 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also a locking mechanism built into the Capture plate that the OP did not think was necessary to engage in the circumstances.