Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 9 Likes Search this Thread
08-02-2015, 03:22 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Peak Design Capture Pro Dropped My K-3 Today

Hi all.

Just a word of caution for those using the Peak Design Capture Pro. I've been using this product quite happily for about 7 months now - it was a birthday gift from my wife. However, today, while we were walking along a trail in one of Montreal's nature parks, the Capture Pro just unclipped itself somehow. The clip was high on a backpack strap. Note that the clip itself stayed on the strap, and the attachment plate stayed on the camera, but for some unknown reason the two came suddenly apart while I was walking. The camera crashed heavily onto the gravel. :-(

I have no idea how this could have happened. The clip's design appears foolproof. When I'd clipped it in five or so minutes earlier, it had made it's normal "click" sound. It's not like we were mountain biking or mountaineering or even running. This was a flat pedestrian trail on which we were taking a leisurely walk.

The lens that was on the camera (Vivitar Series 1 105mm F/2.5 Macro) _seems_ miraculously unharmed except for some minor scratches on the built-in hood. (I tested it on my K-01.) But the camera... The lens mount on the K-3 body itself has been partially ripped out. I assume Peak Design will disclaim any and all responsibility. I hope the damage to the K-3 is repairable (for less than the cost of a brand new camera)...

08-02-2015, 03:34 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
I have no idea how this could have happened.
Bad luck indeed, but not sure it's fair to diss' a product without fully knowing what actually happened. They would certainly test such a product in most rigorous ways before releasing it for sale. If you think it's a failure of the product, you'd probably have to return it to them for inspection.
08-02-2015, 03:57 PM - 4 Likes   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Bad luck indeed, but not sure it's fair to diss' a product without fully knowing what actually happened. They would certainly test such a product in most rigorous ways before releasing it for sale. If you think it's a failure of the product, you'd probably have to return it to them for inspection.
Dude, I did not say the product is crap. I said the product dropped my camera. And it did, I can send you pics if you want. I am saying if this happened to me, others might want to be a little careful in using the thing. That's it. It's pretty asinine to call that "dissing" after I just wrecked my $800 camera. I thought you were right but borderline annoying always coming in to defend the K-3 in the mirror slap threads, but here...

I'll tell you what, why don't you send me your K-3 as a replacement while mine is being repaired? I'll use it with the Capture Pro too.
08-02-2015, 04:13 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I didn't know about this one, previously, but a quick look at the website information tells me that it shouldn't come apart until the release button is pushed. It's hard to see how an intermittent failure could occur with such a simple mechanism, so in the absence of any other evidence it looks like an accidental push on the release button could have done it. How such a thing could occur during normal walking without your noticing is baffling, but such is the nature of accidents. On the other hand, backlash or distortion in the latching mechanism could make it prone to failure under the right conditions. I'd still get in touch with the manufacturer, but I'd be sure to check those first. I hope your camera was insured. I didn't read your post as "dissing" the product.

08-02-2015, 04:23 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Dude, I did not say the product is crap. I said the product dropped my camera. And it did, I can send you pics if you want. I am saying if this happened to me, others might want to be a little careful in using the thing. That's it. It's pretty asinine to call that "dissing" after I just wrecked my $800 camera. I thought you were right but borderline annoying always coming in to defend the K-3 in the mirror slap threads, but here...

I'll tell you what, why don't you send me your K-3 as a replacement while mine is being repaired? I'll use it with the Capture Pro too.
True dat. Even if the product turns out to be not "technically" at fault, if it is designed in such a way as to make you easily make dumb mistakes or just mystery happenstances as seems to be the case here, that's worth knowing. At least the lens is ok! I think I sold that to you, actually...
08-02-2015, 04:58 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use the Capture one and haven't had a problem. You said it fell out. Are you using it with the camera going in from the top or bottom? I played around with mine today and found it only takes about a half push of the button to release when the adjustment screw is loose. I always tighten down the screw after placing it in the bracket, only takes a quarter turn. I usually use it on my belt with the capture one sling strap attached.
08-02-2015, 05:26 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Hi all.

Just a word of caution for those using the Peak Design Capture Pro. I've been using this product quite happily for about 7 months now - it was a birthday gift from my wife. However, today, while we were walking along a trail in one of Montreal's nature parks, the Capture Pro just unclipped itself somehow. The clip was high on a backpack strap. Note that the clip itself stayed on the strap, and the attachment plate stayed on the camera, but for some unknown reason the two came suddenly apart while I was walking. The camera crashed heavily onto the gravel. :-(

I have no idea how this could have happened. The clip's design appears foolproof. When I'd clipped it in five or so minutes earlier, it had made it's normal "click" sound. It's not like we were mountain biking or mountaineering or even running. This was a flat pedestrian trail on which we were taking a leisurely walk.

The lens that was on the camera (Vivitar Series 1 105mm F/2.5 Macro) _seems_ miraculously unharmed except for some minor scratches on the built-in hood. (I tested it on my K-01.) But the camera... The lens mount on the K-3 body itself has been partially ripped out. I assume Peak Design will disclaim any and all responsibility. I hope the damage to the K-3 is repairable (for less than the cost of a brand new camera)...
That sucks. Sorry to hear it. I am always worried about when one of these seemingly solid product would fail. I would be livid if that happened to any of my cameras. Try the manufacturer to see if they stand behind their product. Let us know what happens. I would be very curious.

08-02-2015, 05:41 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Well with mine, I do know that one needs to be sure that it's clipped in, I've had it appear to lock but not be quite there. I usually double check it and on mine there is a locking nut that I can ensure that the plate is engaged. Still I can see how it might happen as wherever you mount it, it gets a lot of movement. Actually I'm always worried about the plate connection to the camera, even after using the allen wrench to lock it down.

OTOH, I typically use if for my Q or K5 without the battery base. Haven't tried the K3 with it yet. I will say that it's very strong product.

Sucks though. I think I'd communicate with the company about your incident. They should know about it.
08-02-2015, 06:18 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for commiserating everyone...

FWIW, for those of you wondering, here's how I have it set-up:

It goes in from (my) right to left. I've actually found it's hard to get just the right angle to slide the camera in (with the camera pointing downwards) as I'm wearing the backpack, and I often have to fiddle with it to get it in, but I really thought that once in it was pretty secure...

I can only think of these possibilities: (1) the locking mechanism never locked properly (either because I didn't push far enough or something was impeding its movement); (2) some of my movements while walking caused it to unlock itself or (3) I didn't actually slide both rails in, but only the bottom one, and the camera was just held by the bottom rail (with extra support from the long lens) and eventually just fell out or (4, exceedingly unlikely) the plate just "slipped" out of the clip even though the lock was set. On (1), I could swear I heard it give me the familiar "I'm locked in" click, on (2) I tried to reproduce this tonight and I certainly can't get it to happen intentionally, on (3) this shouldn't be physically possible, and I can't easily get it to happen, but I think it might be possible, and on (4) I really don't think this is possible. The Capture Pro is still functional, as far as I can tell, BTW.

QuoteOriginally posted by vonBaloney Quote
Even if the product turns out to be not "technically" at fault, if it is designed in such a way as to make you easily make dumb mistakes or just mystery happenstances as seems to be the case here, that's worth knowing.
Exactly. It should be very difficult to manipulate the thing in such a way as to think you've got the camera properly secured while it's really not.

QuoteQuote:
At least the lens is ok! I think I sold that to you, actually...
You did, and I love it! I'm a bit worried something might have moved inside, but I think the camera body, as well as the plastic clip for a Raynox DCR-250 that was hanging out front (and broke) took the brunt of the impact. The lens does seem fine firing some test shots from my K-01...
08-02-2015, 06:43 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Dude, I did not say the product is crap. I said the product dropped my camera. And it did, I can send you pics if you want.
I never said you said it was crap.
What can you possibly send me pics of? The moment 'the product' dropped your camera?

It's pretty asinine to call that "dissing" after I just wrecked my $800 camera. I thought you were right but borderline annoying always coming in to defend the K-3 in the mirror slap threads, but here...
Look, I'm sad about your camera damage of course but since I make a small but perfectly legit comment based on what YOU posted you get steamed up and insult me with name calling? Dude...

Now that is an asinine remark..

Sometimes the hostility here is mind boggling...
08-03-2015, 01:19 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Doundounba started his post with 'just a cautionary word' about a clip letting go. He proceeded to speculate that Peak Design will disclaim responsibility for the mishap. In absence of any overt sign of mechanical failure or suggestion of gross design error, that is likely to be the position adopted by most suppliers of goods given they have no control as to how products are used in the field. I don't think either of those statements are unfair to Peak Design. I took the post as a well meaning warning to others that might own this product to exercise care and vigilance in its use. Others have usefully contributed their own experience with the product.

Unfortunately the tone of this thread has deteriorated following what may be no more than an initial misinterpretation of intention. If I can chime in from a neutral corner, and without prejudice to any poster in this thread, just say 'take a chill pill guys' and step back a moment from the keyboard.
08-03-2015, 01:30 AM   #12

The Capture Clip has two safety mechanisms, the black tightening knob which secures the plate in place and the red release button can be turned 90 degrees to lock and prevent accidental pushing. Unless I know I'll be taking my camera off Capture to shoot, in which case my hand is on my camera anyway, I tighten the plate in place and lock the release button.
08-03-2015, 04:55 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I'm sure I've read of this happening before. Worth a Google search and contact with Peak Design, as my recollection included a comment from PD .
08-03-2015, 08:42 AM   #14

Sorry you had that happen.
I have had mine for maybe one and a half years and always used to have mine attached to my belt but recently started using it with my Vanguard backpack. I both cases though I have the clip mounted so the camera slots in from the top. For the backpack I have the Capture Pro clip going across the shoulder strap, with the clip backplate at the back of the strap. You may need to use the longer screws to do this though. Even with adjustment screw at its loosest, the camera plate should not come out (unless it was really worn down or something I guess). The Capture Pro release button can be twisted to lock it and stop it depressing, I would be using that habitually if the clip is not oriented for top entry.
I used mine XC skiing this year and found it worked well mounted on the backpack. Belt mounted was impractical.

John.
08-03-2015, 09:05 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have two Capture clips and several Peak plates attached to various camera bodies and lenses. While I really like the Peak design on more than one occasion I thought the camera/lens was attached securely but it actually wasn't and would have fallen out had I not double checked. My advice is simply to make sure you are doing everything correctly, and then always double check. i.e. don't do it the way they show in their videos like a character from Marvel comics! :P

Michael