Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anyone bought in Hong Kong recently ?

I would be interested to know if anyone has been shopping in HK recently and could post some prices for lenses, particularly the DA* series?

Thanks.

Last edited by Mallee Boy; 06-17-2008 at 12:33 AM.
06-16-2008, 10:02 PM   #2

QuoteOriginally posted by Mallee Boy Quote
I would be interested to know if anyone has been shopping in Honkers recently and could post some prices for lenses, particularly the DA* series?

Thanks.
On a related note, HK prices seem on par with those in Aus.

Last edited by Fireball; 06-18-2008 at 09:00 PM.
06-16-2008, 11:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
Just as a quick note, any reference to the term "Honkies" or "Honkers" is slightly offensive :\.

I am sorry...absolutely no offence implied, intended or meant. That has always been affectionate term for Hong Kong in these parts.
If it has caused offence I apologise.
Cheers.
06-17-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
Forum Member

Here is the link found in a HK Pentax forum.

HK Retailers - Assorted Pentax Price List

Besides the prices of Pentax DSLR, lens and accessories, the list also contains prices of Sigma and Tamron lens for Pentax.

Just note the DA * lens prices :
DA*16-50mm HKD6700 (June 2008)
DA*50-135mm HKD7650 (June 2008)
DA*200mm HKD11500 (March 2008)
DA*300mm HKD11500 (May 2008)

1 USD = 7.80889 HKD
1 HKD = 0.128059 USD

06-17-2008, 03:36 AM   #5

Curious, Honkers is an often used term for HK over here in Blighty, it is certainly not meant in an offensive or derisive manner and is used with considerable affection. I've heard HK natives over here refer to HK as Honkers and never had the feeling there was any bitterness or sarcasm being applied.
06-17-2008, 03:54 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thankyou Dancheng.....looks like I've got some walking & talking ahead of me .
06-17-2008, 04:20 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Fireball Quote
HK prices are definitely lower than in Australia.
There is no goods and services tax to begin with. HK retailers sell a lot of cameras. One needs to haggle and bargain to get the best prices but unfortunately the majority of tourists either don't know how to or accept the prices quoted upfront. So they get chopped by paying more than they should, like the proverbial lambs to the slaughter.

Best of all is to get a local HK resident who can bargain in Cantonese and know the best shops (RH perhaps?) to go along.

Tin Cheung, Wing Shing/Man Shing & CitiCall are some shops to name a few but can be overrated as there are plenty of smaller lesser known shops. If you pay by credit card, they will probably whack you with an additional 2%.

A price guide:
Welcome to YG Billy's World of Photography

06-17-2008, 04:58 PM   #8

I bought my entire setup in HK less than 1 month ago.
K20D - 8800
FA35 - 1950
DA*70 - 3200
Tamron A16 - 2880
540flash - 2750

The good thing is that I was able to exchange the local warranty card to international. So I saved a bundle (compared to AUS prices) and still have warranty!

Try CitiCall, a chain electronics store. Good price and official goods with exchangable warranty card.

Oh, and the filter prices in Tin Cheung are the cheapest. About half the price as in Oz.

Good luck
06-17-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all the responses, very helpful.
Past trips to HK have been fruitful with a bit of searching.

Cheers.
06-18-2008, 01:31 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Past trips to HK have been fruitful with a bit of searching.
Okay, so you know to keep away from Nathan Road TST for camera gear, then.

Also give Wing Shing photo supplies in Mong Kok a look; 55-57 Sai Yeung Choi Street, very handy to Mong Kok MTR.
06-18-2008, 01:40 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Steve,
Nathan Rd is an interesting place....but Caution is the key word, particularly when you see all those camera bodies and lenses in shrink wrap.... Stanley St is always worth a walk too.

Know Wing Shing & Man Shing well, and its a bit of luck as to what they want to get rid of with price.

The Wan Chai Computer centre is also a place I will be calling at, have seen Pentax Ltd's in there before at reasonable money.

By all reports the price diffence between there and here is not all that great, at the moment, so it still makes the Adorama / B&H thing a viable option.
06-18-2008, 02:44 PM   #12
Veteran Member

By all reports the price diffence between there and here is not all that great, at the moment, so it still makes the Adorama / B&H thing a viable option.
Yeah I was disappointed at the price I paid for my DA18-250 last year, but the lens was only recently released and not a lot of camera shops had them. Found one for a reasonable price in Stanley Street (no haggling!).

I never noticed lenses in Wan Chai Computer Centre, I must pay more attention next time I visit. The layout is not the best for relaxed and attentive shopping.

The tool market in Apliu Street, Sham Shui Po is good for tripods but little else in camera gear. An awesome array of tools of every type imaginable, for world-beating prices, too.
06-18-2008, 02:52 PM   #13

Bought my equipment in Hong Kong the other month. Bought k200d, sigma 70-300, flash, 2 bags and some small stuff for about 1300 US-dollars. Saved myself 1000 US-dollars compared to Sweden prices. But I think that it is even cheaper in US than in Hong Kong at the moment.
Anyway, can recommend Tin Chueng were I bought most of the stuff. But also used Wing Shing, Citicall and Fortress for some other stuff.
06-18-2008, 09:05 PM   #14

I am sorry...absolutely no offence implied, intended or meant. That has always been affectionate term for Hong Kong in these parts.
If it has caused offence I apologise.
Cheers.
My mistake then...perhaps it is a bit of a cultural disparity between North America and Australia. Hope I didn't cause you any embarassment / negative feelings!

With that said, the difference between AUS prices and HKD prices may be due to the HKD being somewhat benchmarked against the USD price? Regardless, I believe my error may have been in thinking Calumet was an AUS retailer. Whoops!

Sorry for any misinformation! I think I'll walk out of here while I still have a bit of my reputation intact
06-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You're OK mate. No harm done.
Cheers.