Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 04:08 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Nerdlinger Quote
The unimaginable happened yesterday...the K3 hit the ground from 4.5 feet onto tiled floor. Besides a shattered 63mm UV filter on my 18-135 there is absolutely no damage at all. A big shout out to Ricoh/Pentax for building tank bodies and lenses. I cannot believe that there is nothing wrong with my less than 2 week old camera. I need to do some extensive field tests to make sure but it seems the Mag-alloy body saved my a$$. Even the 18-135 is relatively free of damage, some of the filter threads may be shot because I had to literally pry it off with a pair of channel locks. I am lucky. I bought a garbage UV filter to see if I can "re-groove" the threads. Thank you for the quality build Ricoh...I never minded the Ricoh label on the bottom of my viewscreen but now I look at it as a badge of pride.
Glad to hear it's unscathed !!!

08-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #32
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
Always have the camera secured with a strap or something... This way if will fall only of you fall too.
I DO keep that thing practically tied to me. I placed it on the washer because I was running to grab a prime due to tornado sirens and lots of lightning going off in my area. The vibrations of the damn machine sent it on a plunge. All my fault but I almost cried.

---------- Post added 08-20-15 at 07:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Glad to hear it's unscathed !!!
Not as glad as I am! But thanks for the kind words...
09-21-2015, 06:29 AM   #33
Veteran Member

Guys, how's the real life AF speed between the two? I'm mostly using my DSLR rig for sports, so continuous AF + bursting. Looking to improve the AF's performance coming from the K5II.
09-21-2015, 11:18 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by alexeyga Quote
Guys, how's the real life AF speed between the two? I'm mostly using my DSLR rig for sports, so continuous AF + bursting. Looking to improve the AF's performance coming from the K5II.
I understood the K3-II did got an improvement on AF for the new DFA lenses in AFC. I'am not sure you'll get a big difference in practice if you don't have the DFA150-450 or DFA70-200...

Honestly K3-II is basically a K3. They changed a few things to have something new to show but the real change are when we get a real new model like from K7 to K5 or K5 to K3... K3/K3-II is the same product...

If you plan to get the new DFA lenses, you are also quite weathly and the improvement can make sense. If not, then you could do as well with a vanilla K3.

Other reason to get a K3-II instead of K3 is if you plan to use one of the dedicated feature of K3-II feature like the GPS or pixel shift

09-28-2015, 08:37 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Nicolas06 Quote
I understood the K3-II did got an improvement on AF for the new DFA lenses in AFC. I'am not sure you'll get a big difference in practice if you don't have the DFA150-450 or DFA70-200...

Honestly K3-II is basically a K3. They changed a few things to have something new to show but the real change are when we get a real new model like from K7 to K5 or K5 to K3... K3/K3-II is the same product...

If you plan to get the new DFA lenses, you are also quite weathly and the improvement can make sense. If not, then you could do as well with a vanilla K3.

Other reason to get a K3-II instead of K3 is if you plan to use one of the dedicated feature of K3-II feature like the GPS or pixel shift
Thanks,
I've actually made the switch. Can't claim that K3's AF is that much faster, but it seems more reliable - i'm getting more keepers. I have yet to find the best-suited settings (for my needs), for know the only conclusion I came to is that the 9-points zone works a lot better than the whole 27-points array and giving the priority to the focus drops FPS quite significantly.
03-16-2016, 12:56 PM   #36

QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Congrats, you'll love it! I did the same path, except K-r instead of K-x.
I'm about to leave my Kr (yes, i still use it) and go to the K-3. I want the popup flash, and gps does nothing for me. Now that you have had yours for awhile, any regrets? Would you have bought something else given the chance?

I'm sticking with pentax basically because I have a number of lenses, and am use to the camera.. otherwise I'm not sure what I'd buy.
03-16-2016, 01:13 PM   #37
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Themdragons Quote
I'm about to leave my Kr (yes, i still use it) and go to the K-3. I want the popup flash, and gps does nothing for me. Now that you have had yours for awhile, any regrets? Would you have bought something else given the chance?

I'm sticking with pentax basically because I have a number of lenses, and am use to the camera.. otherwise I'm not sure what I'd buy.
No, no regrets at all. The K-3 is fantastic. Although I must admit, I'm seriously considering the K-1. If I do get the K-1, I will definitely be keeping my K-3 as a backup and for wildlife/telephoto shooting.
03-17-2016, 12:57 AM   #38

Coming from a K-r you simply must feel the difference... Anyway, when having shot with my daughter's K-r last summer at moushole harbour in Cornwall, UK, it still felt firm with a Sigma 70-300 attached to it.
K-3/K-3ii can do that much more, however, "bought" by adding some weight.... 😉

04-10-2016, 10:36 AM   #39

I bought it and love it, i never new how "beginner" my Kr was!
This is equivalent to a Nikon 7200 that my friend's have, but I think it offers more. Now I need to find a wide angle lens I enjoy using more than my standard 18-250 I'm carrying now.
one more question:
Has anyone every used the 3rd party battery and battery grip or does this group stay with pentax name brands mainly.
04-10-2016, 11:32 AM   #40
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Has anyone every used the 3rd party battery and battery grip or does this group stay with pentax name brands mainly.
No experience with third party grips though I have seen a lot of bad comments on them regarding the k-5 ones. K-3 I've not seen many complaints.

Re batteries I have an assortment of Pentax OEM and third party. I have a pair of Wasabi Power ones that have been good. Maybe not quite as many shots as the Pentax battery but not bad and the price is attractive. They also have a very nice bundled travel charger. I also acquired with a camera I purchased two other batteries with generic names, and these performed very poorly. I've since disposed of them. So in my experience using a 3rd party with a recognized name brand like Wasabi is OK though maybe not quite as good as OEM. But stay away from generic ones that have no track record.
04-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #41
Site Supporter

I bought it and love it, i never new how "beginner" my Kr was!
This is equivalent to a Nikon 7200 that my friend's have, but I think it offers more. Now I need to find a wide angle lens I enjoy using more than my standard 18-250 I'm carrying now.
one more question:
I decided to try saving a large wedge of cash by going third party for the grip on mine, but I wouldn't recommend it. Yes it was MUCH cheaper, and yes it works ok, but it's very cheaply built and cheap feeling. The on/off switch is flakey (needs to be in exactly the right position) and the AA battery tray (which I didn't need) doesn't connect well every time. I wouldn't want to rely on it for anything that matters and will get a genuine one whenever I can. However, I might have been unlucky.