Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 12:45 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Anything that might move is out. Like bugs. But if the flower was completely still, sure - it should work great.

08-05-2015, 12:59 PM   #17

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nerdlinger Quote
Even non mobile flowers? If that is the case, the case is closed, K3 here I come.
If there is no movement, pixel shift can be used on anything on a tripod.
08-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #18
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
Anything that might move is out. Like bugs. But if the flower was completely still, sure - it should work great.
Knowing me...I'll get the damn K3II...because of the dreaded "what if" syndrome. Arggggghhhhh
08-05-2015, 01:11 PM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even non mobile flowers? If that is the case, the case is closed, K3 here I come.
Flowers are mobile only if there is a breeze. Not sure what would happen if you shoot at 1/8000 which might eliminate movement...

08-05-2015, 01:18 PM   #20
Veteran Member

I do a lot of static product shots, as I write about classic firearms for gun publications. While the pixel-shift feature would give me a very small incremental increase in sharpness, I don't think it would justify the price of the K-3II. I already have some razor-sharp lenses for my K-3, and with a tripod, the results I can get now are quite satisfactory, particularly since most shots would be sized down for publication. There would be no discernible difference.

I also have the tack-on GPS for the K-3, which is quite small and easy to pack along if desired. I like the fact that the pop-up flash on the K-3 is available for fill-flash or impromptu party shots. It saves having to tote along a bulky separate flash for those rare occasions when you really need a flash. The lack of this capability in the K-3II was a mistake, in my opinion.

I tend to be pretty steady when I take hand-held shots, and shooting in RAW with a fast enough shutter speed gives me plenty of insurance against camera shake. A small improvement in shake reduction doesn't mean a lot to me.

In sum, I'll stick with my K-3 until some more significant improvements come along.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page

Last edited by PALADIN85020; 08-05-2015 at 01:24 PM.
08-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #21
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
I do a lot of static product shots, as I write about classic firearms for gun publications. While the pixel-shift feature would give me a very small incremental increase in sharpness, I don't think it would justify the price of the K-3II. I already have some razor-sharp lenses for my K-3, and with a tripod, the results I can get now are quite satisfactory, particularly since most shots would be sized down for publication. There would be no discernible difference.

I also have the tack-on GPS for the K-3, which is quite small and easy to pack along if desired. I like the fact that the pop-up flash on the K-3 is available for fill-flash or impromptu party shots. It saves having to tote along a bulky separate flash for those rare occasions when you really need a flash. The lack of this capability in the K-3II was a mistake, in my opinion.

I tend to be pretty steady when I take hand-held shots, and shooting in RAW with a fast enough shutter speed gives me plenty of insurance against camera shake. A small improvement in shake reduction doesn't mean a lot to me.

In sum, I'll stick with my K-3 until some more significant improvements come along.

John

PENTAX : PENTAX Photo Gallery artist page
Well Paladin...looks like it's the K3 for me. I too like the fill in flash and don't feel like creating a bulky "hey look at me" camera to lug around. I just don't hope I have my famous buyers remorse that always strikes me. Like I said I am very interested in attempting it with my macro. I am not a Photoshop guy and have no desire to take multiple exposures and blend them into a "pixel shift equivalent". Thanks everyone. I guess I will be pulling the trigger. They still have like 3 of the gunmetal K3's around, maybe I'll get that...nah...just save the cash and get a lens, or some backup batteries.
08-06-2015, 12:30 AM - 1 Like   #22

I own both...and like the GPS option being included. The pixel shift does not fully pay out yet as I do not work with the Pentax sw. However, I can handhold in that mode and when developing with DxO I still get a much better detailed picture vs normal conditions. Nevertheless, I have not found another big feature (e.g. 1 stop improvement and better AFC over K-3) yet for myself... I'm practizing with both. devices while being on vacation now... 😉

08-06-2015, 10:55 AM   #23
Forum Member

Original Poster
Well thanks for the advice everyone, as of tomorrow I will be shooting with a K-3. I was very tempted to step up to the Mark II for the increased autofocus and one step SR, but couldn't pass up a K-3 for just over $600.00...I am sure I will be doing the happy dance...very excited to see how sharp the missing AA filter is going to be. K-x > K-30 > K-3 I am done with bodies for awhile, I did the classic beginner, enthusiast, pro-sumer moves...Thanks again.
08-06-2015, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Congrats, you'll love it! I did the same path, except K-r instead of K-x.
08-06-2015, 11:46 AM - 1 Like   #25
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Haven't tried a K3II, I'm sure it's great. I have a K3 and it's a fantastic camera. Highly recommended, I think both are great choices.

I've been scanning film with the k3 lately, I wish I had the pixel shift for that!
08-07-2015, 10:16 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well thanks for the advice everyone, as of tomorrow I will be shooting with a K-3. I was very tempted to step up to the Mark II for the increased autofocus and one step SR, but couldn't pass up a K-3 for just over $600.00...I am sure I will be doing the happy dance...very excited to see how sharp the missing AA filter is going to be. K-x > K-30 > K-3 I am done with bodies for awhile, I did the classic beginner, enthusiast, pro-sumer moves...Thanks again.
Congrats! The first thing you should do is check the firmware version, and upgrade to the latest firmware - sometimes the bodies hang around for a while, the latest firmware is definitely a good refinement for the k3.
08-18-2015, 02:01 PM   #27
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bobbotron Quote
Congrats! The first thing you should do is check the firmware version, and upgrade to the latest firmware - sometimes the bodies hang around for a while, the latest firmware is definitely a good refinement for the k3.
Haha...I had the latest firmware already loaded on my computer before Amazon even delivered it. I'm all about the firmware. No mirror flop for me. I love this camera, takes amazing photos!!!
08-19-2015, 08:56 AM - 1 Like   #28
Forum Member

Original Poster
The unimaginable happened yesterday...the K3 hit the ground from 4.5 feet onto tiled floor. Besides a shattered 63mm UV filter on my 18-135 there is absolutely no damage at all. A big shout out to Ricoh/Pentax for building tank bodies and lenses. I cannot believe that there is nothing wrong with my less than 2 week old camera. I need to do some extensive field tests to make sure but it seems the Mag-alloy body saved my a$$. Even the 18-135 is relatively free of damage, some of the filter threads may be shot because I had to literally pry it off with a pair of channel locks. I am lucky. I bought a garbage UV filter to see if I can "re-groove" the threads. Thank you for the quality build Ricoh...I never minded the Ricoh label on the bottom of my viewscreen but now I look at it as a badge of pride.
08-19-2015, 01:01 PM   #29
Veteran Member

The unimaginable happened yesterday...the K3 hit the ground from 4.5 feet onto tiled floor. Besides a shattered 63mm UV filter on my 18-135 there is absolutely no damage at all. A big shout out to Ricoh/Pentax for building tank bodies and lenses. I cannot believe that there is nothing wrong with my less than 2 week old camera. I need to do some extensive field tests to make sure but it seems the Mag-alloy body saved my a$$. Even the 18-135 is relatively free of damage, some of the filter threads may be shot because I had to literally pry it off with a pair of channel locks. I am lucky. I bought a garbage UV filter to see if I can "re-groove" the threads. Thank you for the quality build Ricoh...I never minded the Ricoh label on the bottom of my viewscreen but now I look at it as a badge of pride.
Always have the camera secured with a strap or something... This way if will fall only of you fall too.
08-19-2015, 01:11 PM   #30
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PALADIN85020 Quote
+1 Pixel shift is going to be usefull:
- when you can use it (mostly still interiors without wind often with adeed lighting so the iso are still low). No landscape with water or even moderate wind.
- when vanilla 24MP without low pass filter is not enough... So for your 30x40" shoots or heavy crops.

For the product shoot case for example, except if you print the product huge there is going to be no difference. Even if you print huge one will only see the difference if he look at the picture from near distance.

Just to say, if you happen to crop a lot often or print huge often, you'll not want a pixel shift that will work on a few occasion. You need a higher MP count. So that make much more sense to get a 50MP FF from canon... After all if you shoot huge a lot, the price difference between a K3-II and a 50MP FF Canon might be only a few high quality prints (maybe 10-20). If you print huge only occasionnally but you have only 5% of your shots with pixel shift that 5% chance the picture you want to print large will be the one that actually was taken with pixel shift. Not much.

If you want resolution to crop for wildlife, well it doesn't apply to such situation.

There not much pratical use for pixel shift outside playing with it and starring at 100% shoots in photoshop.

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
Flowers are mobile only if there is a breeze. Not sure what would happen if you shoot at 1/8000 which might eliminate movement...
It is quite likely there some breeze outside. And even it would be of use if you crop your flower shoot extensively (quite unlikely for a flower shoot) or if you print huge like 30x40.