Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 11 Likes Search this Thread
08-05-2015, 06:52 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
K3 vs k3ii

Can anybody who has shot both tell me is it really worth it to step up to the K3II. I have limited intentions of using Astrotracer, the GPS I would use, but is not a make or break. I personally like built in flashes. Is the supposed 1 step difference in image stabilization worth it? I am chomping at the bit to get one or the other. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.

08-05-2015, 08:18 AM - 1 Like   #2

My 2 cents is unless you feel you can't live without an on-board flash go with the K3ii. Of course probably the best perspective would come from those who own both.
08-05-2015, 08:23 AM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Nerdlinger Quote
Can anybody who has shot both tell me is it really worth it to step up to the K3II. I have limited intentions of using Astrotracer, the GPS I would use, but is not a make or break. I personally like built in flashes. Is the supposed 1 step difference in image stabilization worth it? I am chomping at the bit to get one or the other. Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated.
Look at the features added to the K3II and ask yourself how important are they to the style and subjects in your photography. If you do a lot of street/event photography you may find the 1 stop improvement in SR of value. Astro photography, the GPS will help, I am ambivalent toward the pixel shift as I shoot a lot of landscapes, but think leaves, water etc., will have some movement creating problems; still life would be a different matter.
08-05-2015, 08:35 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

I haven't shot both; but the loss of the Pop Up(fill flash alone) for me would be a definite negative. I have the GPS for the K3 and it fits in my shoulder bag the AF360FGZ does not. The other improvements are splitting hairs not leaps in tech.

08-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MikePerham Quote
Look at the features added to the K3II and ask yourself how important are they to the style and subjects in your photography. If you do a lot of street/event photography you may find the 1 stop improvement in SR of value. Astro photography, the GPS will help, I am ambivalent toward the pixel shift as I shoot a lot of landscapes, but think leaves, water etc., will have some movement creating problems; still life would be a different matter.
I agree that the pixel shift would mess up your landscapes, but I find it intriguing to use for my macro shots....
08-05-2015, 09:26 AM - 1 Like   #6
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by honey bo bo Quote
I haven't shot both; but the loss of the Pop Up(fill flash alone) for me would be a definite negative. I have the GPS for the K3 and it fits in my shoulder bag the AF360FGZ does not. The other improvements are splitting hairs not leaps in tech.
True, but if you want to have GPS while using a flash, the K-3 II is still the way to go.
08-05-2015, 09:28 AM - 2 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have both currently and do not see any significant difference for general use. I have not used the pixel shift feature yet.

The k-3II is an absolute home for me though as I use GPS extensively and having it built in and instantly available is a huge plus over the hot shoe one. Loss of the flash means nothing to me, I never used it for anything. If I need a flash I use a real one.

So mostly decide whether you like pop-up flash or on-board GPS. Everything else is a wash as far as I'm concerned. Unless Pixel shift is of use to you.

08-05-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to all...I hope that more chirp in...Pentax Forums absolutely rule for us Pentaxians! (Thanks Adam)
08-05-2015, 11:18 AM - 1 Like   #9
Veteran Member

I faced the same decision and just couldn't justify the added cost of the K-3II. I already have the OGPS-1 so I didn't lose anything there. I don't use the pop up flash much, but it's nice to have for fill on certain occasions. The pixel shift is intriguing but so limited in practical use.

I'm very happy with my decision and feel I got a great deal. After all, I paid less for my K-3 than I paid for my K-30 three years ago.
08-05-2015, 11:51 AM   #10

Photos: Albums
I have tested both and for my usage, SR on K3II was a bit better. Other than that, they are almost the same. Although the pixel shift feature is nice for products photography, you wouldn't find a big difference in sharpness unless you crop a lot. Also, there is no Ricoh logo on K3II :-B
08-05-2015, 12:02 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
I have tested both and for my usage, SR on K3II was a bit better. Other than that, they are almost the same. Although the pixel shift feature is nice for products photography, you wouldn't find a big difference in sharpness unless you crop a lot. Also, there is no Ricoh logo on K3II :-B
I thank thee, I am almost about to press the buy button at Amazon for the K3 but the fact my macro photography will be mind blowing due to pixel shift is making me hold off. I also may just wait to see if the prices plunge when, or better yet if, the FF finally releases.
08-05-2015, 12:16 PM   #12
Veteran Member

What kind of macro photography do you do? Just curious.

I usually do bugs when I do macro and pixel shift would be useless for that unless it was dead. lol
08-05-2015, 12:25 PM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by loco Quote
What kind of macro photography do you do? Just curious.

I usually do bugs when I do macro and pixel shift would be useless for that unless it was dead. lol
Bugs, flowers, and such....bugs would be useless? Damn
08-05-2015, 12:28 PM   #14

Photos: Albums
Yes, that's correct. Unless you photograph things like jewels or small things that don't move, pixel shift would be useless for macro photography.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/301100-k3ii-someone...se-i-will.html
08-05-2015, 12:44 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by farhaddad Quote
Yes, that's correct. Unless you photograph things like jewels or small things that don't move, pixel shift would be useless for macro photography.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/301100-k3ii-someone...se-i-will.html
Even non mobile flowers? If that is the case, the case is closed, K3 here I come.