Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Damn Brit
Guest




What happened here?

Hi guys, I took this shot today at work. There is a faint grid pattern on the image. The second one is the same shot but I increased the exposure in Elements to show the grid pattern more clearly. Is it ISO noise?
Thanks for your help.
Gary


Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-28-2008 at 03:56 PM.
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account




Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 464
Is that a real flower? Looks almost like it's a 2-d print or something. Strange.
06-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member
Venturi's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Tulsa, OK
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,639
Peeked at the exif data: K10D @ ISO800, f/4, 1/180s & 105mm (Sigma 105mm macro?)

My *guess* is it is ISO related noise. But without knowing if you were shooting JPEG or RAW, and not having the original to look at it's really hard to make any kind of informed opinion.

It does bring up a lingering question for me though. Back in the old days (like 1980ish) I did a bit of video taping for my church and reds, specifically deep blood/crimson reds, just seemed to suck the light right back out of the lens. Do the current tech CCD's still have issues with red when it is a major component of a scene?
06-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Hong Kong
Posts: 1,934
Banding

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi guys, I took this shot today at work. There is a faint grid pattern on the image. The second one is the same shot but I increased the exposure in Elements to show the grid pattern more clearly. Is it ISO noise?
Thanks for your help.
Gary
This is called banding, a widely reported problem of the K10D. Thing could get worse for underexposed images and then push processed.

For more info, you can read further:-

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2007/03/vpn-and-hpn-bandings-of-k10d.html

06-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Is that a real flower? Looks almost like it's a 2-d print or something. Strange.
Yes it's a real flower, a variety of Begonia.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Peeked at the exif data: K10D @ ISO800, f/4, 1/180s & 105mm (Sigma 105mm macro?)

My *guess* is it is ISO related noise. But without knowing if you were shooting JPEG or RAW, and not having the original to look at it's really hard to make any kind of informed opinion.

It does bring up a lingering question for me though. Back in the old days (like 1980ish) I did a bit of video taping for my church and reds, specifically deep blood/crimson reds, just seemed to suck the light right back out of the lens. Do the current tech CCD's still have issues with red when it is a major component of a scene?
Yes, macro. It was JPEG. I've noticed that reds can be tough to shoot sometimes. If this is the case, is there any kind of filter that can be used to overcome this problem?
Thanks for responding.
06-17-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member
lol101's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Garennes sur Eure France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 900
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi guys, I took this shot today at work. There is a faint grid pattern on the image. The second one is the same shot but I increased the exposure in Elements to show the grid pattern more clearly. Is it ISO noise?
Thanks for your help.
Gary
Hi,

I am assuming from this grid shaped artifact that you are using the K10 + grip.

These artifacts seem to come from an electrical interference when the grip is used in conjunction with high ISO (especially when pushing an underexposed shot).

No cure AFAIK except not using the grip for this kind of shots (but you'll likely get some VPN then).
06-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Hi,

I am assuming from this grid shaped artifact that you are using the K10 + grip.

These artifacts seem to come from an electrical interference when the grip is used in conjunction with high ISO (especially when pushing an underexposed shot).

No cure AFAIK except not using the grip for this kind of shots (but you'll likely get some VPN then).

Interesting, is there an article anywhere about it?
06-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member
jeffkrol's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Wisconsin USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 8,434
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Interesting, is there an article anywhere about it?
best place to start:
ALL K10d's Have VPN, & Likely Grip-HPN Too: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As to the red issue...that's just an overall technology problem w/ sensors.
to expand a bit on the red thing. Remeber that white balance is just a multiplication of the captured values. For outdoor shots typically the red channel is multiplied by around 1.4. So your exposure for red has to be much lower or that channel will get blown on the "conversion".
Best to use the RGB histogram. If you are stuck w/ a luminous (or just green histogram) then you have to underexpose or use trickery.
I like trickery. If you use colored filters (CC40M) and a custom WB you force the camera to set color channel multipliers to approx 1:1:1.
THEN you can use the luminous histogram more effectively. will get back to this..


Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-18-2008 at 07:33 AM.
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Damn Brit
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
best place to start:
ALL K10d's Have VPN, & Likely Grip-HPN Too: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As to the red issue...that's just an overall technology problem w/ sensors.
to expand a bit on the red thing. Remeber that white balance is just a multiplication of the captured values. For outdoor shots typically the red channel is multiplied by around 1.4. So your exposure for red has to be much lower or that channel will get blown on the "conversion".
Best to use the RGB histogram. If you are stuck w/ a luminous (or just green histogram) then you have to underexpose or use trickery.
I like trickery. If you use colored filters (CC40M) and a custom WB you force the camera to set color channel multipliers to approx 1:1:1.
THEN you can use the luminous histogram more effectively. will get back to this..
Thanks for the info.
Gary
09-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #10
Junior Member




Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 28
Has anyone had any luck getting the K10D + Grip horizontal noise problem addressed? I have read a number of threads regarding this but all I ever saw was that Pentax was looking into it. Wondering if it worth calling in about.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, dslr, grid, pattern, photography, shot
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's happened here? seacapt General Talk 4 07-24-2010 07:21 AM
what happened here? WMBP Pentax DSLR Discussion 16 09-27-2009 10:18 AM
What Happened??? meyjo Site Suggestions and Help 5 04-14-2009 02:54 PM
it happened to me, too... jesalonen Pentax SLR Lens Discussion 29 01-08-2009 10:17 AM
What Happened Here / What Did I Do? jocko_nc Photo Critique 9 01-01-2009 08:16 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:39 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top