Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 10:21 PM   #1
Damn Brit

What happened here?

Hi guys, I took this shot today at work. There is a faint grid pattern on the image. The second one is the same shot but I increased the exposure in Elements to show the grid pattern more clearly. Is it ISO noise?
Thanks for your help.
Gary

Last edited by Damn Brit; 08-28-2008 at 03:56 PM.
06-16-2008, 10:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Is that a real flower? Looks almost like it's a 2-d print or something. Strange.
06-16-2008, 10:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Peeked at the exif data: K10D @ ISO800, f/4, 1/180s & 105mm (Sigma 105mm macro?)

My *guess* is it is ISO related noise. But without knowing if you were shooting JPEG or RAW, and not having the original to look at it's really hard to make any kind of informed opinion.

It does bring up a lingering question for me though. Back in the old days (like 1980ish) I did a bit of video taping for my church and reds, specifically deep blood/crimson reds, just seemed to suck the light right back out of the lens. Do the current tech CCD's still have issues with red when it is a major component of a scene?
06-16-2008, 11:05 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Banding

QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
Hi guys, I took this shot today at work. There is a faint grid pattern on the image. The second one is the same shot but I increased the exposure in Elements to show the grid pattern more clearly. Is it ISO noise?
Thanks for your help.
Gary
This is called banding, a widely reported problem of the K10D. Thing could get worse for underexposed images and then push processed.

For more info, you can read further:-

http://ricehigh.blogspot.com/2007/03/vpn-and-hpn-bandings-of-k10d.html

06-16-2008, 11:09 PM   #5
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by cputeq Quote
Is that a real flower? Looks almost like it's a 2-d print or something. Strange.
Yes it's a real flower, a variety of Begonia.

QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
Peeked at the exif data: K10D @ ISO800, f/4, 1/180s & 105mm (Sigma 105mm macro?)

My *guess* is it is ISO related noise. But without knowing if you were shooting JPEG or RAW, and not having the original to look at it's really hard to make any kind of informed opinion.

It does bring up a lingering question for me though. Back in the old days (like 1980ish) I did a bit of video taping for my church and reds, specifically deep blood/crimson reds, just seemed to suck the light right back out of the lens. Do the current tech CCD's still have issues with red when it is a major component of a scene?
Yes, macro. It was JPEG. I've noticed that reds can be tough to shoot sometimes. If this is the case, is there any kind of filter that can be used to overcome this problem?
Thanks for responding.
06-17-2008, 01:45 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Thanks for your help.
Gary
Hi,

I am assuming from this grid shaped artifact that you are using the K10 + grip.

These artifacts seem to come from an electrical interference when the grip is used in conjunction with high ISO (especially when pushing an underexposed shot).

No cure AFAIK except not using the grip for this kind of shots (but you'll likely get some VPN then).
06-18-2008, 12:44 AM   #7
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by lol101 Quote
Hi,

I am assuming from this grid shaped artifact that you are using the K10 + grip.

These artifacts seem to come from an electrical interference when the grip is used in conjunction with high ISO (especially when pushing an underexposed shot).

No cure AFAIK except not using the grip for this kind of shots (but you'll likely get some VPN then).

Interesting, is there an article anywhere about it?
06-18-2008, 06:31 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Interesting, is there an article anywhere about it?
best place to start:
ALL K10d's Have VPN, & Likely Grip-HPN Too: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As to the red issue...that's just an overall technology problem w/ sensors.
to expand a bit on the red thing. Remeber that white balance is just a multiplication of the captured values. For outdoor shots typically the red channel is multiplied by around 1.4. So your exposure for red has to be much lower or that channel will get blown on the "conversion".
Best to use the RGB histogram. If you are stuck w/ a luminous (or just green histogram) then you have to underexpose or use trickery.
I like trickery. If you use colored filters (CC40M) and a custom WB you force the camera to set color channel multipliers to approx 1:1:1.
THEN you can use the luminous histogram more effectively. will get back to this..

Last edited by jeffkrol; 06-18-2008 at 07:33 AM.
06-18-2008, 08:08 PM   #9
Damn Brit

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
best place to start:
ALL K10d's Have VPN, & Likely Grip-HPN Too: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review
As to the red issue...that's just an overall technology problem w/ sensors.
to expand a bit on the red thing. Remeber that white balance is just a multiplication of the captured values. For outdoor shots typically the red channel is multiplied by around 1.4. So your exposure for red has to be much lower or that channel will get blown on the "conversion".
Best to use the RGB histogram. If you are stuck w/ a luminous (or just green histogram) then you have to underexpose or use trickery.
I like trickery. If you use colored filters (CC40M) and a custom WB you force the camera to set color channel multipliers to approx 1:1:1.
THEN you can use the luminous histogram more effectively. will get back to this..
Thanks for the info.
Gary
09-20-2008, 08:48 AM   #10

Has anyone had any luck getting the K10D + Grip horizontal noise problem addressed? I have read a number of threads regarding this but all I ever saw was that Pentax was looking into it. Wondering if it worth calling in about.