Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-06-2015, 07:35 PM - 1 Like   #1

Does your k-3 squeak?

Hey guys I've had my k-3 well over a year. I know all it's quirks but something weird has developed.

When I turn my k-3 on it makes a noise. No joking here people. It's this really high frequency sound, like a mouse squeak.

I have no idea what caused it to start in the first place. I know the FLU card makes a beeping noise, however the sound from the k-3 starting up is completely different. It's this short, very quiet, mouse squeak sound that is only ever triggered when I start up the k-3.

I just updated to the latest firmware and the noise is still there. The god news is I have no performance issues.

It's just annoying you know. Any help friends?

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 07:36 PM ----------

The noise is strongest in the mirror box. Does anything move or happen inside there upon startup?

08-06-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
My uneducated opinion is it is the ultrasonic dust removal system. I've only had my K-3 for a week, but if I listened closely, I could always hear my K-7 make exactly the noise you're describing.
08-06-2015, 08:00 PM   #3

Original Poster
Mmmm..... that's a smart guess.

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 08:02 PM ----------

My goodness your right! Mystery solved.

Thank you my friend.
08-06-2015, 08:24 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yup, the strangled mouse in your camera is the dust removal system. You can induce this same noise by going into the menu system and asking it to do a sensor clean.

08-06-2015, 08:50 PM   #5
Site Supporter

My ears are too old to hear it
08-06-2015, 09:59 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

In a word....no.
08-07-2015, 02:24 AM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by ImageCircle Quote
Hey guys I've had my k-3 well over a year. I know all it's quirks but something weird has developed.

When I turn my k-3 on it makes a noise. No joking here people. It's this really high frequency sound, like a mouse squeak.

I have no idea what caused it to start in the first place. I know the FLU card makes a beeping noise, however the sound from the k-3 starting up is completely different. It's this short, very quiet, mouse squeak sound that is only ever triggered when I start up the k-3.

I just updated to the latest firmware and the noise is still there. The god news is I have no performance issues.

It's just annoying you know. Any help friends?

---------- Post added 08-06-15 at 07:36 PM ----------

The noise is strongest in the mirror box. Does anything move or happen inside there upon startup?
Must be the dust removal function on start up. Simple test: turn it off (set up menu 4 "dust removal") and see if it still squeaks.

Actually my K3 also makes a strange noise on startup, in a very soft voice it says to me: "no,no don't buy a full frame"..... probably the voice of reason.
08-07-2015, 04:44 AM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Hearing squeaks? Maybe it's time to call a pest exterminator. You may have some sort of animal or insect infestation in your camera.

I've seen field mice, for example, get into amazingly tight spaces - in the electronics of a wall-mounted air-conditioner, behind the knobs of an electric oven. I hope you always store your camera with the body cap on.

08-07-2015, 06:29 PM   #9
Site Supporter

If a Pentax is turned on in a forest, and there's no-one there to hear it, does it make a sound?