Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My autofocus is fine, but this firmware update does break .PEF file support with Aperture 2.1.

Groan.

06-17-2008, 11:40 AM   #17

Original Poster
Well, I've cleaned the lens and mount contacts (with a microfiber cloth), re-downloaded and re-ran the firmware update but the problem is unchanged. I've contact Pentax support but not heard back yet.

However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body to MF also makes no difference.

However, if I attach an older MF-only lens everything works fine. Live view is normal. Unfortunately, I don't have any other SDM lenses to test this on.

Maybe it is indeed something to do with one of the contacts. Any tips for cleaning them more throughly?
06-17-2008, 02:54 PM   #18
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body to MF also makes no difference.

This might help out.

06-17-2008, 03:06 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
Ha Ha Ha!!!

06-17-2008, 03:22 PM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jsherman999 Quote
yeah, that would be good.

(playing around with the camera trying to get it to focus, it ended up getting stuck in grinding at one end of the focus range. It definitely sounds like screwdriver autofocus, but very badly behaving screwdriver AF. Even switching the camera off didn't stop the AF motor from turning. I had to remove the battery to kill the manic ghost in the machine.)
06-17-2008, 03:59 PM   #21
Veteran Member

@jms698, I'm glad you made your last posts #17 & #20.

Because it means that either your camera or your SDM lens broke, just before, during or right after the update. Bad coincidence, indeed. But just coincidence as nobody reported similiar effects.

It means that the update is safe for Non-Apple users and Apple users only using Adobe on Apple.
06-17-2008, 06:27 PM   #22

Good luck...

have you tried to "remove" the battery WHILE the camera's on? I don't know if that would reset the camera and lens...
Regards,
Ed
PS. I've updated mine and it's working good!

06-17-2008, 06:47 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Tried a pencil eraser on the contacts?
06-17-2008, 07:04 PM   #24
Veteran Member

do you have any screw driven AF lenses?
06-17-2008, 07:11 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
More to the point, have you cleaned the two contacts INSIDE the mount. They are the SDM contacts. My 50-135 stopped focusing. Horrors! cleaned the outside contacts - still broken. Pencil erased the SDM contacts (formerly power zoom contacts) and all was well again!
07-05-2008, 10:33 AM   #26
Forum Member

Back to one of the original questions...

Anyone know where to get the 1.0 firmware so that you can do a downgrade?

(I want to try 1.1 but I'm afraid that it might break support in my Epson 3000. I need to know I can go back if I need to.)
07-05-2008, 11:30 AM   #27
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by a a i b Quote
My autofocus is fine, but this firmware update does break .PEF file support with Aperture 2.1.
Apparently the maker name in the EXIF header was changed from Pentax Corporation to just Pentax. This was done because Pentax was bought by Hoya.
Some RAW importers use the maker name for camera model identification. You can manually fix each file, use JPG or wait for a fix from Apple, Bibble etc
07-09-2008, 10:07 PM   #28
Pentaxian

QuoteQuote:
In any case, I would suggest everyone hold off upgrading to the new firmware. It obviously hasn't been tested properly.
This is called "A conclusion, the jumping to".
08-02-2008, 02:17 PM   #29
Veteran Member

Happily I got my k20d on monday with my 35/2.8 Macro Ltd, today I updated to 1.01 (oh god why). Problem stright away, I have taken alot of pictures the last days alot of them indoors, today when I tryed to take the same kind of pictures in the same light the lens hunts like mad to the short end and everytime I try to refocus it makes a "krrrr" and tryes to focus more to the short end. Also have problem in good lightning to focus on macro (beeing a macro lens this is a big deal)

Have no other lenses to try on, and dont know anyone with a pentax that could lend me a lens to try.
It cant be problem with contacts sence I havent taken the lens of once.

What do 1.01 do realy???

Edit: redid the update with lens removed to try some different things, same problem is there, im about to cry, my butifull camera

Last edited by melander; 08-02-2008 at 02:29 PM.
08-03-2008, 08:05 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
Happily I got my k20d on monday with my 35/2.8 Macro Ltd, today I updated to 1.01 (oh god why). Problem stright away, I have taken alot of pictures the last days alot of them indoors, today when I tryed to take the same kind of pictures in the same light the lens hunts like mad to the short end and everytime I try to refocus it makes a "krrrr" and tryes to focus more to the short end.
I, of course, have the same issue. It is still not resolved (see this thread).

Try turning on live view and see if you get the bouncing picture fault. If that happens then we can see this as a common fault that affects a number of K20d.

I don't think it is the fault of the firmware update itself. It probably is just the update the triggers this fault in a camera that is already faulty.

Good luck having this thing repaired. Apparently the repair needs a really specific piece of software, which only Pentax USA and Pentax Japan have access to . Please keep up us to date on the progress.