Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-03-2008, 08:54 PM   #31
Veteran Member

upgraded to 1.01, used 16-50 and 50-135 da*'s.....no problems w/ AF

08-04-2008, 06:36 AM   #32
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
This is called "A conclusion, the jumping to".
QuoteOriginally posted by falconeye Quote
Because it means that either your camera or your SDM lens broke, just before, during or right after the update. Bad coincidence, indeed. But just coincidence as nobody reported similiar effects.
Same behavior noted in a post on dpr on June 17. With two reports of the same behavior, I don't think it is jumping to a conclusion.

This post might also be a case, but there isn't enough information to go by.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-04-2008 at 06:45 AM. Reason: Added falconeye quote added another link
08-05-2008, 08:06 AM   #33

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Same behavior noted in a post on dpr on June 17. With two reports of the same behavior, I don't think it is jumping to a conclusion.

This post might also be a case, but there isn't enough information to go by.

Thank you
Russell
I'm not weighing in on whether the update breaks anything, but the dpr post has some of the exact same text(as in copy, paste) as the op's posts in this thread.
Note:

from this thread:
"However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body to MF also makes no difference."

from the thread you linked to on dpr:

"However, I've now discovered something even more bizarr. When I switch on live view with the 16-50mm lens attached shake reduction now kicks into overdrive. It sounds just like the mirror cleaning phase at start-up, loud clunking, but it is continuous. I can see the live view image bouncing all over the place. Turning the shake reduction off with the switch on the back makes no difference. It still does the shake reduction overdrive. Turning the lens and body to MF also makes no difference."

So it looks like the op posted his messages here and at dpr, or vice versa.

Or I suppose someone has been copying posts from one site to the other.
08-05-2008, 08:49 AM   #34
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I, of course, have the same issue. It is still not resolved (see this thread).

Try turning on live view and see if you get the bouncing picture fault. If that happens then we can see this as a common fault that affects a number of K20d.

I don't think it is the fault of the firmware update itself. It probably is just the update the triggers this fault in a camera that is already faulty.

Good luck having this thing repaired. Apparently the repair needs a really specific piece of software, which only Pentax USA and Pentax Japan have access to . Please keep up us to date on the progress.
I have now been in contact with Pentax service center here in sweden, they told me it could be a fault in the service menue, the one only they can acces with special hardware/software, I was glad to hear that they had just that equipment so they would be able to go in and reload the entire software. And in worst case leave it with 1.00 and I will never ever go to 1.01 (hot pixels are now my friend)

I will send my camera tomorrow and they say I will have it back before my tripp to england in septembre, hope they are right

08-05-2008, 10:27 AM   #35
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by brothereye Quote
I'm not weighing in on whether the update breaks anything, but the dpr post has some of the exact same text(as in copy, paste) as the op's posts in this thread.
That is interesting and I didn't catch it. I did look to see that the posters identified themselves as one being in the UK and one being in New Zealand and thus assumed they were not the same. Now, I don't know what to think.

Thank you
Russell
08-05-2008, 08:54 PM   #36
Damn Brit

I think the OP was in the UK and only moved to NZ recently.
08-05-2008, 10:13 PM   #37

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Damn Brit Quote
I think the OP was in the UK and only moved to NZ recently.
Yup

(Seem Pentax service in Sweden is a lot better than Pentax service in NZ.)

08-06-2008, 02:17 AM   #38
Veteran Member

Now I only have to wait for my international warranty card >-< why did I buy my camera from USA
08-06-2008, 05:39 AM   #39

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Now, I don't know what to think.
I'm personally familiar with that. I think...
08-09-2008, 08:45 AM   #40
Veteran Member

So very very strange, I removed my UV filter and now it seems like it can focus better. It dont stop and try to focus past the limit anymore. And my UV filter is clean as it was when It came out of the box. Hmm, need to investigate further
08-09-2008, 09:38 AM   #41
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by melander Quote
So very very strange, I removed my UV filter and now it seems like it can focus better. It dont stop and try to focus past the limit anymore. And my UV filter is clean as it was when It came out of the box. Hmm, need to investigate further
Hopefully it was one of those cheap ones "just to protect the front element".
I'll reference this thread next time someone asks why hoods are better at protecting lenses than cheap filter.
08-09-2008, 03:30 PM   #42
Veteran Member

I Solved the problem on My camera (no not the UV filter, witch was a good hoya filter)

My friend borrowed my camera for the day, apparently he upgraded the firmware on his computer without telling me, he didnt know that he had solved the pussle!

So done some testing

If I DL and install the firmware on MY computer = Camera goes nuts
If I DL and install the firmware on HIS computer = Camera is fine

If your AF breaks, try doing the upgrade from scratch on another computer

Happy dance happy dance, oooa oooa, shake it shake it. Im happy again now.
09-30-2008, 02:22 PM   #43

Original Poster
Well, after 4 weeks at the local New Zealand pentax service center and another 6 weeks with Pentax Japan I finally got my K20d back. Pentax Japan paid for shipping both ways (apparently a first for the NZ pentax service center). The autofocus is fixed and works great. I'm semi-happy. I just hope nothing else goes wrong with the camera.
10-01-2008, 08:52 AM   #44
Inactive Account

WOW! 10 weeks??????????? Pentax USA fixed my K10D (af problems as well) in two weeks.
10-01-2008, 12:30 PM   #45
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I upgraded. 3 Pentax and a Sigma lens work fine.