Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2008, 11:57 PM   #1

Don't update to the 1.01 firmware! It breaks autofocus

I just updated my Pentax K20d to the 1.01 firmware. However, now my 16-50mm f/2.8 lens no longer focuses. It makes a loud noise whirring noise and hunts to either end of the focus range. It sounds like it is trying to even force the lens to focus past the extremes of the focus range with the motor grinding when it reaches the end of the focus range. After hunting like this for a few seconds it gives up, failing to focus properly. This occurs in all lighting conditions. Previous to installing the new firmware there was no problem and the lens focused perfectly.

I wonder if there is a way to downgrade back to the 1.0 firmware?

In any case, I would suggest everyone hold off upgrading to the new firmware. It obviously hasn't been tested properly.

06-17-2008, 12:17 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I just checked my K20D and DA 16-50 after your post and it's operating properly. Camera was upgraded to ver. 1.01 earlier today.

No idea why your lens is acting like that. I hope you get it resolved .

Terry
06-17-2008, 03:21 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jms698 Quote
I just updated my Pentax K20d to the 1.01 firmware. However, now my 16-50mm f/2.8 lens no longer focuses. It makes a loud noise whirring noise and hunts to either end of the focus range. It sounds like it is trying to even force the lens to focus past the extremes of the focus range with the motor grinding when it reaches the end of the focus range. After hunting like this for a few seconds it gives up, failing to focus properly. This occurs in all lighting conditions. Previous to installing the new firmware there was no problem and the lens focused perfectly.

In any case, I would suggest everyone hold off upgrading to the new firmware. It obviously hasn't been tested properly.
I just my K20D and DA*16-50 also after seeing this post. AF worked fine. I upgraded early yesterday morning.
06-17-2008, 03:59 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Have you contacted Pentax UK to see if they can help? n/t

There is no text, why force me to enter some characters?

06-17-2008, 04:36 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Just tested firmware V 1.01 on my three K20D bodies. The 16-50 works as it should. Perfectly.

Ben
06-17-2008, 04:42 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
Just tested firmware V 1.01 on my three K20D bodies. The 16-50 works as it should. Perfectly.

Ben
How many 16-50 lenses have you tested then? If it is also 3, then there are 9 combinations!

p.s. Just admire you so much for having so many K20D bodies and that must be Great!
06-17-2008, 04:49 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
How many 16-50 lenses have you tested then? If it is also 3, then there are 9 combinations!

p.s. Just admire you so much for having so many K20D bodies and that must be Great!
It is OK...Having six bodies takes up quite a bit of room though. That is 3 K10D's and 3 K20D's. I think I might get seven more to make it a "Bakers Dozen"
06-17-2008, 04:57 AM   #8
Veteran Member

I don't have the 16-50 so can't comment but my lenses work fine. Have you tried cleaning the mount contacts on the lens and the body and then reseating the lens? 1.01 does appear to "break" Bibble. Dave

06-17-2008, 06:01 AM   #9
Pentaxian

is it possible that you have a bad contact between camera and lens? If it is hunting like this it suggests that the data for focusing distance is not being fed back to the body as it should.

check and clean the furthest contact away from the lens locking pin, use a pink or gum erasor, not abrasive.
06-17-2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
is it possible that you have a bad contact between camera and lens? If it is hunting like this it suggests that the data for focusing distance is not being fed back to the body as it should.

check and clean the furthest contact away from the lens locking pin, use a pink or gum erasor, not abrasive.
Maybe, but unlikely, I guess. It might be that the new firmware is not fully compatible with some different versions of the hardware including the body and/or lens.

My advice is if problem persists, just contact the Pentax UK's for servicing or technical support. I think his lens and body are both under warranty.

Sometimes those firmware upgrades could create new problems, so if it is not really needed, don't do the upgrades.
06-17-2008, 07:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

You're making rush conclusions

Have you tried to put your lens on another Pentax body with SDM support? Did it work?

Have you tried to put another Pentax SDM lens on your K20D? Did it work?

I am 99% convinced that this is just coincidence.
06-17-2008, 07:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

There's a chance the firmware got corrupted while doing the upgrade - I'd suggest re-doing it.
06-17-2008, 08:05 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by RiceHigh Quote
Maybe, but unlikely, I guess. It might be that the new firmware is not fully compatible with some different versions of the hardware including the body and/or lens.

My advice is if problem persists, just contact the Pentax UK's for servicing or technical support. I think his lens and body are both under warranty.

Sometimes those firmware upgrades could create new problems, so if it is not really needed, don't do the upgrades.
I am going to say this as nice as possible,

Come on Rice the chances are way more likely that it is the contact and not the firmware.
06-17-2008, 08:23 AM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by vievetrick Quote
I am going to say this as nice as possible,

Come on Rice the chances are way more likely that it is the contact and not the firmware.
sad thing he does... no matter how many facts there are. Problems not so much him but the fact that a true problem can get ignored because of the normal reaction to just blow off his babble (yes I'm guilty).
And no matter the cause it's always Pentax's fault.
I updated the firmware on two bodies last night, and just tried my lenses.
They all seem to work fine. My 16-50 2.8 is focusing without any issues.
elliot
06-17-2008, 08:46 AM   #15

Just spring out of my room to test my 16-50 and 50-135.... all is good...
Was kinda worried when I read the post.

Anyway, hope you have a chance to check the contacts and let us know your progress.