Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
09-24-2015, 04:25 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

Thanks but I don't have an RF-603. Anyway, I can still use this flash on my K-5II. Maybe yongnou will come out with something different. If not the 460 would be my option.

09-24-2015, 07:11 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have used a cheap Cowboy studio trigger. It works fine but is a bit unwieldy.
10-26-2015, 03:57 AM   #18
Pentaxian

Has anyone encountered a yongnou 660? I saw it in hkyongnou.com. I'm curious if it will fit the k-3II.
01-12-2016, 04:36 AM   #19
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello.

I'm loking for a flash fully compatible with my K3-II. I've asked on yongnuo for yongnuo 560 IV, and they say that iit's compatible. In that post says that there are some diferences between K3 and K3 II shoes. Is that correct?

What could be a flash max 150$, to a non professional photografer, only to take some pictures at home, with low light?

I'll apreciate your contributes

Best regards

01-12-2016, 10:16 AM   #20
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by luismpg Quote
Hello.

I'm loking for a flash fully compatible with my K3-II. I've asked on yongnuo for yongnuo 560 IV, and they say that iit's compatible. In that post says that there are some diferences between K3 and K3 II shoes. Is that correct?

What could be a flash max 150$, to a non professional photografer, only to take some pictures at home, with low light?

I'll apreciate your contributes

Best regards

Here's a slightly outdated but still extremely useful site for info on Pentax flashes. The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison He hasn't updated it recently but the information is still true, it just doesn't include the latest models.

For a non professional I would definitely recommend an P- TTL flash as your first flash. (watch out for TTL, which is an older standard from film days and is incomatible.) It requires almost no thought and will pretty much just work the first time. A manual flash will require you to change flash power as you change distance to your subject or move to different areas, and is best for when you can take a shot and make an adjustment if it didn't come out right. (Your budget allows for a decent TTL flash as well.)

For compatibility I'd recommend an official Pentax flash or any of the recent Metz flashes for Pentax since most of them can have their firmware updated easily as new cameras come out. I have the Metz 50 AF-1 and it works great on my K-3. My suggestion is to get one with a swivel head so you can bounce flash to the side or from behind as well, but tilt only would work fine for direct flash or bounced from the ceiling. If all you need is a simple flash similar to the pop up flash on previous DSLR's, you might also like the 26 AF-1 (link).

Sigma models also work well, but you should check to make sure they're compatible with the K-3 II (search the forums here). The ST versions are basic, and the Super version have a few more features.

If you want to start out cheap to see how it works for you, here's a $70 Metz 36 AF-4 with an off camera extension on eBay.

Keep an eye out on eBay for deals too. I got my Metz 50 AF-1 for $50, and it routinely sells for more than $150.

eBay Metz flash search
eBay Sigma flash search
eBay Pentax flash search
01-12-2016, 10:24 AM   #21

OP - If you just need a basic manual flash (no need high-speed sync) - I would highly recommend Neewer TT660 II. I just picked one up for about $44, it fits K3II just fine and works very well:

Neewer 2 4G Wireless Speedlite Flash TT660 II for Nikon Canon Pentax Em 01 | eBay
01-13-2016, 11:17 AM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TheOneAndOnlyJH Quote
Here's a slightly outdated but still extremely useful site for info on Pentax flashes. The Definitive Guide - Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison He hasn't updated it recently but the information is still true, it just doesn't include the latest models.

For a non professional I would definitely recommend an P- TTL flash as your first flash. (watch out for TTL, which is an older standard from film days and is incomatible.) It requires almost no thought and will pretty much just work the first time. A manual flash will require you to change flash power as you change distance to your subject or move to different areas, and is best for when you can take a shot and make an adjustment if it didn't come out right. (Your budget allows for a decent TTL flash as well.)

For compatibility I'd recommend an official Pentax flash or any of the recent Metz flashes for Pentax since most of them can have their firmware updated easily as new cameras come out. I have the Metz 50 AF-1 and it works great on my K-3. My suggestion is to get one with a swivel head so you can bounce flash to the side or from behind as well, but tilt only would work fine for direct flash or bounced from the ceiling. If all you need is a simple flash similar to the pop up flash on previous DSLR's, you might also like the 26 AF-1 (link).

Sigma models also work well, but you should check to make sure they're compatible with the K-3 II (search the forums here). The ST versions are basic, and the Super version have a few more features.

If you want to start out cheap to see how it works for you, here's a $70 Metz 36 AF-4 with an off camera extension on eBay.

Keep an eye out on eBay for deals too. I got my Metz 50 AF-1 for $50, and it routinely sells for more than $150.

eBay Metz flash search
eBay Sigma flash search
eBay Pentax flash search
Thans for your explanation. Actually after a long study of YN-560 IV, realize that doesn't have P-TTL.

Regarding Yongnuo, there isn't any model for pentax with TTL. So I've decided to not buy this brand. I've decidel to look for a Metz Flash (52 AF 1) or a Cactus RF60. I'll decide for one of this units flash

Best regards. And thanks

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 11:18 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by genesmasher Quote
OP - If you just need a basic manual flash (no need high-speed sync) - I would highly recommend Neewer TT660 II. I just picked one up for about $44, it fits K3II just fine and works very well:

Neewer 2 4G Wireless Speedlite Flash TT660 II for Nikon Canon Pentax Em 01 | eBay
Thanks, I've seen this model i'ts a good choice, and TT 850 is too.
regards

01-13-2016, 11:21 AM   #23
Forum Member

Pentax compatibility METZ

Just to share with all pentaxian members, April 2015 Metz compatibility cameras
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Metz_camera_compatibility_April_2015_Pentax.pdf (334.1 KB, 156 views)
01-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Thans for your explanation. Actually after a long study of YN-560 IV, realize that doesn't have P-TTL.

Regarding Yongnuo, there isn't any model for pentax with TTL. So I've decided to not buy this brand. I've decidel to look for a Metz Flash (52 AF 1) or a Cactus RF60. I'll decide for one of this units flash

Best regards. And thanks

---------- Post added 01-13-16 at 11:18 AM ----------

Thanks, I've seen this model i'ts a good choice, and TT 850 is too.
regards

FYI, the TT 660 and TT 850 are also manual flashes and don't support P-TTL. You're best sticking to Pentax, Metz, or Sigma for P-TTL support. There are others, but you may have compatibility issues with latest cameras if they don't have updated firmware support.

In general,
— If a flash is compatible with either Canon (e-TTL) or Nikon (i-TTL) then you can bet it is not compatible with Pentax P-TTL. (Some flash triggers might be, but I haven't seen a flash that supports multiple brands of TTL.)
— If a flash advertises compatibility with "Canon, Nikon, Samsung, Pentax, Olympus"... or any long list of camera manufacturers it is probably a full manual flash and does NOT have TTL capabilities.

Some older flashes ( even back from the 1980's) have AUTO mode (also called thyristor or auto-thyristor) in which the flash has a sensor and determines the correct level of flash without communicating with the cameram, so you have to input your set aperature / ISO so the flash knows what you want. (Some people claim these can be more reliable than even the official Pentax P-TTL flashes.) These are triggered by the center pin only, but some old ones have a high circuit voltage that could damage digital cameras, so I can't give you too much advice about them. Check this thread for some more info on these (about page 4).

As a matter of fact, you should read through that thread anyway since it seems to be right in line with what you're asking about.

Best of luck as you enter the crazy complicated world of flash!
01-14-2016, 03:42 PM   #25

On the topic of replacement would anyone recommend the Cactus RF60?
01-14-2016, 04:11 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Ron_Man Quote
On the topic of replacement would anyone recommend the Cactus RF60?
It looks to be a fine flash - @ClassA has used and reviewed them.
02-16-2019, 11:08 AM   #27

Well, just to make it clear, the Yongnou YN560 IV, doesn't fit on the Pentax K3 II. I tried it and it's impossible. Only with a trigger.
02-16-2019, 11:22 AM   #28
Pentaxian

I've used the YN 560 ii, iii, and iv on my K10D and K-1. Why wouldn't it fit the K-3 II?

I've also used a few of the YN 568s with no issues.
02-16-2019, 11:55 AM   #29
Pentaxian

Regarding Yongnuo, there isn't any model for pentax with TTL. So I've decided to not buy this brand.
For those considering an external flash, please realize you don't need P-TTL. The advantage of an external flash is off-camera manual lighting. A flash attached to your hot shoe doesn't provide flattering light. If you're going to use P-TTL, you might as well just use the pop-up flash and set your camera to Auto mode (unless your Pentax doesn't have a pop-up flash). If you're going to buy a flash, get it off your camera and trigger it remotely. Use manual flash settings to control your light. Learn lighting patterns. Set your flash and trigger on a light stand or tripod (or have an assistant hold it) to create a triangle of light.

K10D, FA 43, and AF-360, set to slave mode and triggered by K10D's pop-up flash turned all the way down. I was holding the K10D with my right hand and held the AF-360 in my left, outstretched hand. We were in a room with the lights on.

K-1, DA 40 XS, and Einstein strobe in a large softbox, triggered with a RadioPopper.

K-1, FA* 80-200, AF-540 on a tripod, and a FlashWave-II trigger and receiver set.

K10D, FA 43, AF-540 on a tripod, and an inexpensive Cowboy Studio trigger and receiver set.
02-16-2019, 01:26 PM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by builttospill Quote
I've used the YN 560 ii, iii, and iv on my K10D and K-1. Why wouldn't it fit the K-3 II?

I've also used a few of the YN 568s with no issues.
Because it can't enter the slot or however it is called. It gets blocked with the pentaprism on top of the camera.

Last edited by Baytelphoto; 02-16-2019 at 02:20 PM.