Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 05:56 AM   #1

K20D 1.01 firmware update broke iphoto 08' PEF support

Seems like PEF no longer works for me in iphoto, but DNG still works.

Oh, and it also improved my subtle vertical banding with DRange off. With it on, it's still very obvious.

Hopefully either Pentax or Apple will fix the problem with PEF soon.

06-17-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Odd

QuoteOriginally posted by supa007 Quote

Oh, and it also improved my subtle vertical banding with DRange off. With it on, it's still very obvious.

There has already a number of Apple users to report that the PEF of the 1.01 firmware is not compatible with their RAW conversion software.

Well, I just wonder why the RAW file format could be different if the firmware is written just for resolving the 2 sec timer hot pixel bug, as it is claimed.
06-17-2008, 06:32 AM   #3
Ed in GA

Interesting. I updated to 1.01 last nite. I just took a couple of .pef shots to see if they would open in PSE 5.0. They did with no problem at all.
06-17-2008, 06:39 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
BEST guess scenario

I think they check exif tag "Software" if raws. It records camera name and firmwire version. So A. knows only "K20D ver.1.00" and refuses to understand 1.01.

Someone proficient in hex editing could verify by looking at the EXIF and modifying a new PEF.
To RH: Looks like fodder for your tabloid pages.... I'll be waiting for the long diatribe on how it's Pentax's fault.
BTW: works fine in photoshop and Photobrowser.

06-17-2008, 07:55 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery | Albums
RAW support on a Mac is at the OS level and I can confirm that the 1.01 update broke the support that Apple just added. I am very upset. It seems to me that Pentax released this update with little or no testing to make sure it didn't cause new problems.

Is there any way to roll the firmware back to 1.00?
06-17-2008, 08:47 AM   #6
Veteran Member

ACR & DNG No Problem

I just shot several RAW images on my K20D bodies and all of them opened as usual in ACR in Photoshop in DNG format. There was absolutely no problem what so ever. I am using the most recent version of ACR.

Ben
06-17-2008, 08:54 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Just tested... Prior to Apple adding support for the K20 you could convert it to DNG with the Adobe converter and Apple would recognize it. However, in Aperture 2 you would get 2.0 DNG support instead of full 2.0 support. After Apple added K20 and K200 support we got full 2.0 support. I just converted a PEF after the 1.01 update, ran it through the Adobe converter, and imported it into Aperture - full 2.0 support. Big relief for me. Thought others would want to know.

06-17-2008, 09:01 AM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by benjikan Quote
I just shot several RAW images on my K20D bodies and all of them opened as usual in ACR in Photoshop in DNG format. There was absolutely no problem what so ever. I am using the most recent version of ACR.

Ben
Adobe has it's own RAW support and doesn't use the one built into OS X. iPhoto and Aperture use RAW support built into OS X. For some reason the RAW support in OS X does not like something about the file created by the new firmware update. It could be something as simple as a piece of metadata getting changed. Whatever it is Adobe doesn't seem to mind and the file opens fine in ACR. As mentioned above, converting to DNG solves this problem.

Last edited by davemdsn; 06-17-2008 at 09:02 AM. Reason: added comment
06-17-2008, 01:49 PM   #9
Forum Member

I use PHASE ONE software and after the update the PEF file is no longer open in phase one

06-17-2008, 08:32 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Apparently post-1.01 firmware update PEF files are a problem for Bibble Pro, too.

I am not too surprised that they don't break in ACR (Photoshop, or Photoshop Elements, or Lightroom). If I were Pentax, ACR would be the one place I would definitely test.

Will
06-18-2008, 01:19 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jeffkrol Quote
I think they check exif tag "Software" if raws. It records camera name and firmwire version. So A. knows only "K20D ver.1.00" and refuses to understand 1.01.

Someone proficient in hex editing could verify by looking at the EXIF and modifying a new PEF.
To RH: Looks like fodder for your tabloid pages.... I'll be waiting for the long diatribe on how it's Pentax's fault.
BTW: works fine in photoshop and Photobrowser.
Yes
Thats was my phrase on dpreview
06-19-2008, 02:05 PM   #12
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by davemdsn Quote
Adobe has it's own RAW support and doesn't use the one built into OS X. iPhoto and Aperture use RAW support built into OS X. For some reason the RAW support in OS X does not like something about the file created by the new firmware update. It could be something as simple as a piece of metadata getting changed. Whatever it is Adobe doesn't seem to mind and the file opens fine in ACR. As mentioned above, converting to DNG solves this problem.
That's kind of not true anymore. I'm using 10.4.11 which doesn't support my K200D. The PEF files show up in the finder but preview doesn't work, but Aperture works, and I've heard that iphoto 08 works. With the latest versions of Aperture and iphoto apple has been able to work around the OS and support cameras that are not supported by the OS. I did have some early problems with Aperture and the K200D but they seem to have worked itself out. I can't speak to the K20D problems and the filmware as that's not my camera.

Alan
06-27-2008, 11:41 PM   #13

Me too!

Just been out for a days shooting and none of my PEF's will import into iPhoto or Aperture. Installed new firmware yesterday. Just glad I'm not the only one.

What's the mechanism for finding out when this gets fixed? Do we keep checking the Pentax site?/

Will
06-28-2008, 12:24 AM   #14

1.01 only changed the company name from 'Pentax Corporation' to 'Pentax', which also confuse Picasa.
Attached Images

06-28-2008, 07:21 PM   #15
Veteran Member

morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$ ~/Image-ExifTool-7.32/exiftool -Make="PENTAX Corporation" *.pef
25 image files updated
morfic@heracles:~/MyPictures/50-135/raw$

Yes, the files now opens fine in Bibble

Using the tool in linux, this will work for me until they get around to fixing up the program.

As far as finding when this will be fixed, programs need to match another string, Pentax is unlikely going to change the string back, so i'd look at the support site for your software.