Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 10:50 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
i think most of the pros and cons of k50 vs k5 are listed already: shutter noise, 1 vs 2 batteries types, build/weight, focus peaking.

if my lenses were mostly manual focus, i'd lean towards k50 for focus peaking, so it depends on your lens roadmap per se.

that said, the k5/k01 combo is nice as they are very different cameras. swappable batteries, k5 has better auto focusing and a quiet shutter, but no focus peaking. 14 vs 12 bit yada yada...

if i got a k50, it also has focus peaking, so i don't know if i'd
keep the k01 anymore, unless a second body is really valued. but then at that point, if i were to get a k50 and sell the k01, how much more would a k3 be??? you'd still be a couple hundred short, but worth considering. maybe.

this place is terrible for asking other people how to spend your money ;P
Well I mean you raise a good point. If I'm just getting the k-50 for focus peaking what's the point of the k-01?
And since I don't plan to sell the k-01 (it being my first interchangeable lens camera ever, plus I actually like the design and size ), the k-5IIs seems like a more logical pair.

08-11-2015, 05:10 AM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I agree that having interchangeable batteries is nice plus - my pair is K-01 and K-3. However, I have to admit that after I got the K-3, the K-01 didn't see much use until about a week ago when my K-3 crashed to the ground and had to be sent in for repairs...
08-11-2015, 07:40 AM   #18

I think K-50 is the best price/performance option, but I'm tempted by the K-S2 and its tilting screen, wifi, and no AA filter. Plus I think the AF screwdrive motor is faster. I will follow your choice closely because I'm thinking of adding a WR body to my K-01 also...
08-11-2015, 09:36 AM   #19

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
plus I actually like the design and size ), the k-5IIs seems like a more logical pair.
i like the k01 design too the 40mm xs pairs with it nicely, even though i didn't purchase the k01 with the 40mm xs. i'm glad you got the gist of what i was trying to convey because it didn't read well when i reread my post this morning.

my pair is k01/k5. i have the 20-40mm on the k5 and the 40mm xs on the k01. i'm hoping to get a longer focal length manual focus or the 70mm to have on the k01.

i think that if you didn't have the k01 or wanted to sell it, the k50 (or even k3) would be great to have all the features in one body. but to pair with the k01, i'd lean towards k5 iis. you'll get to take advantage of some better features that are shared with the k3, and still have focus peaking on k01, without the k3 price.

08-11-2015, 12:59 PM   #20
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
If I'm just getting the k-50 for focus peaking what's the point of the k-01?
A huge reason for me to keep a K-01 even though I have a K50 is that it has the appearance of a cheap consumer camera.,,, Invaluable for situations when you want to stay low key. I have taken it to several concerts with the 40 on it and have not once have I ever been questioned about it. I have a little trick where I take a second long lens with a monocular adapter attached. So I get through the gate with what looks like a cheap camera and a monocular, but in fact I have some really good kit for concert photos.