Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-09-2015, 06:12 PM   #1
Pentaxian

What WR body to consider pairing with my K-01?

I live in an area where it can suddenly downpour at a moments notice, and I'd rather not have some rain stop me from good photo opportunities.
I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I should have the money in a few months to drop a few hundred on a solid used body and a WR lens (probably the 18-50).

My question is what should I buy? I consider this mainly a hobby and can not justify the prices of the k-3 or k-3II at the moment, so that would leave me with the k-30/50, or K-5IIs if I can find a good deal on it (or others that I'm probably missing). Another thing to note is I mainly shoot manual, though the WR lens would obviously be auto. My only other AF lenses are my 18-55 V1, DA 40mm XS and my F 35-70.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-09-2015 at 06:52 PM.
08-09-2015, 06:26 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K-S1 is not sealed. If you like to M/F a lot in liveview, go for the K-30/50, which will give you focus peaking, which the K-5 IIs doesn't have...

Last edited by Doundounba; 08-09-2015 at 06:29 PM. Reason: Oops: K-30/50 has twin dials...
08-09-2015, 06:31 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Hi Zombie,

I live in the wet and wild Northwest (Oregon) and fully appreciate the joys of weather-resistant gear. I've had my Canon equipment shut down repeatedly in the rain here. Pentax just keeps on clicking.

Of the bodies you mention, I'd go for the K-5IIs (in fact, I already own one). Look for a good deal on PF buy and sell.

As for lenses, much depends on what you shoot. My workhorse has been the 16-50 DA*, but it's once again headed for SDM repair. If I were buying again, I'd probably go for the new 16-85. If that's a little steep in price, look at the 18-135, though that 2mm at the low end is significantly different.

In any case, be sure you get a hood to keep raindrops off the front element.
08-09-2015, 06:51 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Doundounba Quote
K-S1 is not sealed. If you like to M/F a lot in liveview, go for the K-30/50, which will give you focus peaking, which the K-5 IIs doesn't have...
Oops, must've been thinking of the K-S2 then?

08-09-2015, 07:23 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by ZombieArmy Quote
I live in an area where it can suddenly downpour at a moments notice, and I'd rather not have some rain stop me from good photo opportunities.
I've been wanting to do this for a while, but I should have the money in a few months to drop a few hundred on a solid used body and a WR lens (probably the 18-50).

My question is what should I buy? I consider this mainly a hobby and can not justify the prices of the k-3 or k-3II at the moment, so that would leave me with the k-30/50, or K-5IIs if I can find a good deal on it (or others that I'm probably missing). Another thing to note is I mainly shoot manual, though the WR lens would obviously be auto. My only other AF lenses are my 18-55 V1, DA 40mm XS and my F 35-70.
The K-50 is probably the best deal at the moment, but the K-5 & K-3 have the most durable build if that's what you're after.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-09-2015, 07:26 PM   #6
Pentaxian

K-50.....
08-09-2015, 07:31 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IMO, the K-50 is the most logical choice. It has the same imaging pipeline as the K-01, so your workflow could be identical with both cameras. At ~ $300, it's a bargain.

08-09-2015, 08:19 PM   #8

The other benefit of a k-5, 5II, 5IIs and k-3 is that they use the same battery as the k01. I've used the k-5 with the k01 as my backup for a couple of years. They work well together. When I travel I only take one extra battery and one charger. Anyway KEH and Adorama currently have some k-5 series ... Don't the I saw any at B&H.

Andy
08-09-2015, 09:36 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Get a k-50, sealed, focus peaking, price is right. For under $300 you can get a warranty. I've been out in the winter when wet snow has covered the k-50 and k-30 and many times in rain, I was recently in Wahington in a Smithsonian Museum shooting with a fisheye, it was lightly raining when I was ready to leave so I mounted the 18-135wr and out I went out and enjoyed it, the rain got harder and probably spent an hour in it before it stopped, I was drenched and so was the camera but it kept performing. Fortunately the messenger bag I had kept my other stuff dry, even though the outer layer was soaked, (lenses were on individual cases). That's why I have Pentax.
08-09-2015, 11:44 PM   #10
Veteran Member

K-50. I've taken it to a few boat trips where the camera was constantly splashed from surfing.
08-10-2015, 01:21 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Just a quick question. The K-30/k-50 both are capable of using the astrotracing/GPS device right?

Would be nice since the k-01 can't use it.
08-10-2015, 04:11 AM   #12
Pentaxian

To me focus peaking isn't that big of a deal since I am so used to live view zoom focusing for manual. That being said after owning a K50, which is a really good camera, I'm glad I switched to the K5 lls. No more clattery sounding shutter and SR, the button lay and top view lcd suits me fine. Plus the addition of a grip both helps my handling of it and adds additional battery capacity to an already close to twice that of the K50 without one. As far as WR lenses if your going to add those to your line up go the little extra $ and get the models with Quick Shift focusing, you'll be glad you did.

Yes all both of those as well can utilize the GPS module,
08-10-2015, 04:36 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I just added a KS2 to my K30. In my opinion, the Ks2 is the better camera. Higher resolution, flippy screen, wifi. On the other hand, K30/K50 has a better grip on it, and is super cheap now.

Also, the Ks2 has the ability to focus at -3EV (same as K5II/K3). With the K30, I don't recall, but maybe 0EV? Also, the KS2 has the faster focusing motor. All in all, it's better.
08-10-2015, 04:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supportaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Just a quick question. The K-30/k-50 both are capable of using the astrotracing/GPS device right?
The K50 does for sure. Just for fun, I popped the gps unit on the K-01 and verified that with the latest firmware it will only tag. Sigh. I really wish the K-01 would do the astrotrace function. I do love my little K-01 with manual lenses and wish it was water resistant and astrotracer capable. I'm also dreaming that they'll release a full-frame version of the K-01 one day! I can dream.... ;-)
08-10-2015, 09:25 PM   #15

i think most of the pros and cons of k50 vs k5 are listed already: shutter noise, 1 vs 2 batteries types, build/weight, focus peaking.

if my lenses were mostly manual focus, i'd lean towards k50 for focus peaking, so it depends on your lens roadmap per se.

that said, the k5/k01 combo is nice as they are very different cameras. swappable batteries, k5 has better auto focusing and a quiet shutter, but no focus peaking. 14 vs 12 bit yada yada...

if i got a k50, it also has focus peaking, so i don't know if i'd
keep the k01 anymore, unless a second body is really valued. but then at that point, if i were to get a k50 and sell the k01, how much more would a k3 be??? you'd still be a couple hundred short, but worth considering. maybe.

this place is terrible for asking other people how to spend your money ;P