Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 07:34 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some observations on new K200D

Just got my new K200D yesterday and, of course, had to try it out immediately. Discovered some definate differences between it and my older *ist DS:

- AF is quicker on K200D
- Low-light AF seems to be improved (impression only, no side-by-side comparo)
- Love the larger rear screen (2.7" vs 2.0")
- SR is great - handheld a 1 sec shot and got "ok" results
- Lots more to learn!! (Not sure this is a good thing!! )
- New menu is both less and more confusing (I NEED to RTFM!!)
- Ergonomics are different - *ist DS actually fits my hand better, but the K200D works just fine - just need to get used to it.
- Not too sure about the viewfinder - DS seems brighter, but I have a Katz Eye screen in it - need to check this out more

All-in-all, I know I'm going to love the K200D - just a lot more camera than the DS.

06-17-2008, 07:52 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Oh you'll love the K200D. It's an excellent camera.

Regarding your "brighter VF on the DS" observation - that's because the DS has a pentaprism, whereas the K200D has a pentamirror viewfinder.
06-17-2008, 02:43 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChipB Quote
Just got my new K200D yesterday and, of course, had to try it out immediately. Discovered some definate differences between it and my older *ist DS:

- AF is quicker on K200D
- Low-light AF seems to be improved (impression only, no side-by-side comparo)
- Love the larger rear screen (2.7" vs 2.0")
- SR is great - handheld a 1 sec shot and got "ok" results
- Lots more to learn!! (Not sure this is a good thing!! )
- New menu is both less and more confusing (I NEED to RTFM!!)
- Ergonomics are different - *ist DS actually fits my hand better, but the K200D works just fine - just need to get used to it.
- Not too sure about the viewfinder - DS seems brighter, but I have a Katz Eye screen in it - need to check this out more

All-in-all, I know I'm going to love the K200D - just a lot more camera than the DS.
Welcome aboard - I made the same upgrade, and I love the K200D. I can confirm that the autofocus of the K200D is *vastly* superior to the *istDS, and that the latter has a (slightly) better viewfinder. I'm keeping the DS as a backup, as it's small size makes it a much nicer match for the small DA Limited primes than any current Pentax body.
06-18-2008, 11:46 AM   #4

I am coming from a canon S3 and before that, a minolta dimage 7. I must say, the optical viewfinder is nice, but I've used 2 cameras in a row with electronic viewfinder and I miss how the electronic viewfinder can show me the effects of changing shutter speed/aperature in real time. I suppose I will get used to it.

My minolta and canon also both had a intervalometer. I am dissapointed that the pentax k200d doesn't have a intervalometer.

The burst speed for the minolta and canon s3 was better too. the minolta had a burst mode similar to the k20d's 1 megapixel burst at 20fps.

I have yet to look at the raw results on my own computer because I am on an extended work trip away from my main computer. I am sure I will be pleased with the picture quality of my k200d + da* 50-135