Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-10-2015, 02:03 PM   #1

K3ii

I've had my trusty K20D since 2010, and the camera is a couple years older than that. So I've recently been bitten by the 'upgrade' bug. The new K3ii seems like an awesome camera, but I'm surprised about the price point. For example Amazon has the K3 for about $650, while the ii is $925. I know the previous models go down in value, but is there really enough bang in the ii to justify nearly $300 more?

The other thing that surprises me is the seeming lack of a kit option with the K3ii. I can certainly keep my kit lens from the K20D, but I usually look at kits as a way to upgrade to a possibly better lens, or at least an additional one, for a good value.

Thoughts? Sorry if this is a FAQ... I was active here for a time when I first got my K20D but not so much recently.

08-10-2015, 02:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tfischer Quote
I know the previous models go down in value, but is there really enough bang in the ii to justify nearly $300 more?
IMHO, not really. The only new feature that you'd appreciate during everyday use would be the built-in GPS, which offers the same functionality as the O-GPS1 accessory.

The remaining enhancements- pixel shifting and improved stabilization- are really just there for bragging rights.

I think that upgrading to the K-3 and getting a nice new zoom like the 16-85mm would make a lot of sense compared to getting the K-3 II.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-10-2015, 05:03 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
What Adam said!

Also the lack of a built in flash is a real pain IF you use one occasionally and/or need a wireless P-TTL master to control off camera flash and you don't feel like using wireless triggers.