Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 02:27 PM   #16
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
And the K-01 works the same way. Unfortunately the K-30/50/500 also work the same way even though they have TAv on the mode dial...
And it confuses so many people!

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-12-2015, 05:46 PM   #17
Pentaxian

I usually just use Tv mode and swap on auto iso when I need it.

Not that the k-01 has a TAv dial anyways.
08-15-2015, 07:08 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Original Poster
"I think the TAv mode dial setting is something only available on Pentax bodies, but it is functionally equivalent to M mode with auto ISO, so most other cameras do support it that way"

It should be the same but still does any 4/3 size camera offer this?

Yes, for it to work properly (usably) you need two dials.
08-15-2015, 09:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
I think the TAv mode dial setting is something only available on Pentax bodies, but it is functionally equivalent to M mode with auto ISO, so most other cameras do support it that way.
It's not exactly equivalent to M with auto-ISO on other brands as most others don't provide for EC in this mode. I think Fujifilm and some Nikons do but not sure there are any others.

08-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Original Poster
What is EC and how does it differ from auto ISO?
08-15-2015, 11:39 AM   #21
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by peterh337 Quote
Exposure compensation. In other words you can adjust what is considered the correct exposure up or down by X number of stops (or partial stops) and have it baked into the TAv equation. This ability is what truly separates the Pentax mode from (most) others...
08-15-2015, 11:58 AM   #22
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Basically, instead of looking at the exposure meter to determine the compensation (as on many other cameras, but not all, as noted above), you can dial it in so that the camera takes care of it. At the end of the day the result is the same, but the TAv approach can be a bit more convenient.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-15-2015, 12:07 PM   #23
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Interesting. I have never changed the exposure on the camera when I use TAV I just don't find any need to do that.
08-16-2015, 02:44 AM   #24
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by CarlJF Quote
For Canikon users, features they don't have are usually considered useless...until they have it! Most funny I heard from them is that IBIS is useless but at the same time will spend extra money to get the stabilized version of their lenses...
You never thought to consider in-lens stabilisation also stabilises the image as seen by the AF sensor and the light meter, and that maybe that could be important to them?

---------- Post added 08-16-2015 at 12:11 PM ----------

"I think the TAv mode dial setting is something only available on Pentax bodies, but it is functionally equivalent to M mode with auto ISO, so most other cameras do support it that way"

It should be the same but still does any 4/3 size camera offer this?

Yes, for it to work properly (usably) you need two dials.
If I were you I'd make a shortlist of the cameras I was considering, and then download the manuals to look for things like this.
08-16-2015, 04:08 AM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by TER-OR Quote
I want to control the primary variables and let the camera deal with the rest.
Yes.
For me TAv is so natural, intuitive and logical I never use anything else. At least as implemented on the K5.
Add another front E dial just below the present front E dial for direct and immediate Ev compensation control and auto ETTR metering and I would be a happy camper.

Last edited by wildman; 08-16-2015 at 05:40 AM.
08-16-2015, 05:04 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
My D810 is identical in auto ISO. Exposure compensation works the same. I use this mode more with it than I did with my K3 because of the better high ISO performance.

Now the green button would be dead handy to have. I miss it more.
08-16-2015, 07:04 AM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by starbase218 Quote
You never thought to consider in-lens stabilisation also stabilises the image as seen by the AF sensor and the light meter, and that maybe that could be important to them?
My vast experience in arguing on the internet has taught me that when people start arguing the "finer points" of things that are functionally equivalent, it has nothing to do with the merits of the cause. It's entirely taking sides and defending one's personal brand as a reflection of oneself. Spend about 20 minutes browsing a video game forum that has both Xbox and Playstation on it and you'll see this rather quickly.
08-16-2015, 07:32 AM   #28
Inactive Account

Location: Planet Earth, Sol system, Milky Way galaxy, Universe
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
My vast experience in arguing on the internet has taught me that when people start arguing the "finer points" of things that are functionally equivalent, it has nothing to do with the merits of the cause. It's entirely taking sides and defending one's personal brand as a reflection of oneself. Spend about 20 minutes browsing a video game forum that has both Xbox and Playstation on it and you'll see this rather quickly.
Doesn't mean that's the case here. Anyway, I just wanted to post this question for him. I don't mind if he doesn't answer. It just seems to me that maybe he jumped to a conclusion too soon, perhaps helped by the fact that he shoots Pentax and actually wants to defend that. In which case it's the same thing, really.

He also made general remarks about CaNikon shooters, for which I also don't understand the need. I went on two photography trips with photographers, not Canon/Nikon/Sony/Olympus/Pentax/BrandX shooters. I just think, if you feel the need to criticize people by the brand of camera they use, the problem is with you, not with those people.

Last edited by starbase218; 08-16-2015 at 07:37 AM.
08-17-2015, 07:35 AM - 1 Like   #29
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I have decided to forget the whole m4/3 or APS scene for the time being and keep the K3.

Two reasons:

The best current camera (Samsung NX1) has extremely limited lens options (15-50 and 50-200) compared to my 16-85 which I use for way over 99% of my shots, so I would be losing a huge amount of convenience.

The battery life is poor. I can do a whole 1 week holiday (about 30-40GB of RAWs) on one K3 battery and I have one spare battery. With the NX1 you need to carry 2-3 spare batteries.

2 years from now it will be different, for sure. I would really like a 0.6kg "SLR"
08-17-2015, 07:49 AM   #30
Veteran Member

I would really like a 0.6kg "SLR"
With 2kg of lens stuck to the front of it. I really don't understand the light camera fad when you then stick fast full frame lens on the front of it?