Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 01:07 PM   #1

To Pentax or not to Pentax

Greetings, I do not currently own Pentax, But I am considering the K200D as a back up system and possibly to make the switch to a complete Pentax system. My concerns are the longevity or better stated how strong is Pentax for future support? This could be said about fuji and olympus I am sure. Bit I think I may wait until the 1st of the year and see where Pentax is.. What say you?
Thanks

Happy Shooting

06-17-2008, 01:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

well, they've been making cameras since 1952, just merged with hoya and developed their current top of the line CMOS sensor as a joint effort with Samsung...

i think the future is bright.
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteQuote:
i think the future is bright.
When you buy the K200D, pick up some shades at the same time..
06-17-2008, 01:26 PM   #4

And plus, the K20D is "better Image Quality than Nikon D300"

06-17-2008, 01:28 PM   #5
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome zoomdaddy,

Bit hard to tell what the future has in store, but there's no doubt Pentax is rising to the challenge of the competitors with their new lineup of high quality lenses. You can check the Pentax website to see where they're headed, but Gooshin's right on the money...
06-17-2008, 01:58 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Last year I was deciding between the D70 and the K100D. I made the right choice and would do it again in a heartbeat.
06-17-2008, 03:02 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Goodness knows Zoomdaddy. Anything could happen in the future for reasons not even thought of now.

But what would it mean if Pentax did dis-appear? The camera you owned would not instantly vanish, the lenses would continue to be traded and service would still be available for some time to come. None of that would instantly stop.

I just cant see a marque like Pentax just suddenly "dis-appearing", what I can see is an evolutionary process that has already started with Hoya and Samsung. IMHO its the Samsung connection that is the one to watch.

Go for it.

06-17-2008, 03:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

It doesn't matter if Pentax survives or not because the K mount will and that is all you need to worry about. Samsung would grab the mount even if for some reason Hoya decided to walk away from camera production.

Happy shooting to you to.

Ken
06-17-2008, 04:08 PM   #9

Original Poster
Thanks for the input!!

I appreciate all of your input.. nice that no one here felt the need to be sarcastic with your thoughts.
Happy Shooting,
Kevin
06-17-2008, 05:53 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Yes it's good to know that the K mount is used elsewhere, not that we're going to need it, but good to know all the same.
06-17-2008, 07:03 PM   #11
Veteran Member

A bit of advice for ya Zoom , take anything that RiceHigh says with a grain of salt, he seems to get a big kick out of coming onto a Pentax fan forum, and trashing our beloved cameras !! ( he also seems to RARELY ever post any photos, so his credibility is nil as far as I'm concerned )
06-17-2008, 07:18 PM   #12

Welcome

Hey Zoomdaddy, folks! how's it going?

what kind of photos are you looking into? the K10D, although discontinued, is a GREAT camera! I have one myself and I am 100% happy!

I've recently acquired the k20D as well, it's awesome !so, depending on how much you wanna invest.. I'd have a look at the k10D, or even the k20d...
Regards from the north,
Ed
Flickr: edmaruyama's Photostream
06-17-2008, 07:33 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

to pentax or not to pentax from WHAT?

I guess the question really is what are you thinking of coming to pentax from?

Do you have an existing camera???

Not to upset too many pentax lovers here (i'm one also by the way) but it would be useful to know what other camera gear you have, software also.

Starting from scratch, just about any DSLR from any maker will do. Go to the stores, play with them, look at the features, look at images (not ones on the web, but ones when you play with them in the stores), and make your own decision.

Don't fret too much about the fact that Nikon and Canon are the big two, try everything and pick the one you like the best, handles the best and has the best/ easiest controls.

If you are fair about it you will walk out with a pentax. If you go elsewhere, I wouldn't hold that against you either, it's your money spend it as you wish.

The only thing I would stress is stay away from 4/3 systems if you like wide angle. The cost of an equivelent field of view lens to the sigma 10-20 or pentax 12-24 (oly 7-14mm) will set you back more than the K200D, the SIgma 10-20 and one additional lens of equal value.
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zoomdaddy Quote
But I am considering the K200D as a back up system and possibly to make the switch to a complete Pentax system. My concerns are the longevity or better stated how strong is Pentax for future support? This could be said about fuji and olympus I am sure. Bit I think I may wait until the 1st of the year and see where Pentax is.. What say you?
Hard question to answer. There are so many good choices right now: seems like all of the major makers have a couple really good cameras in their line up. I'd be delighted to have a Canon 40D or a Nikon D300 or a Sony A700 or...

One thing: I would not personally bother buying a K200D. Get the K10D instead. Price will be similar, but the ergonomics are superior. I can't really think of any reason to buy a 200 while the 10 is still available. The K200D's high-ISO performance is emphatically NOT markedly superior to the K10D's. As for batteries, I rather liked using AA batteries in my K100D and was nervous about the K10D's rechargeable battery, but now I will never go back to AAs. Get an extra rechargeable battery and keep it with you and you'll never have a problem.

Pentax as a company seems pretty strong. It's got one of the most illustrious histories in the camera industry, although it could be said that its glory days were 40 years ago. But I'm confident that the company is solid for years to come. And while it's not going out on a limb innovating (no Foveon or 4:3 sensors), what Pentax has been doing is producing REALLY good stuff, bodies with outstanding build quality, great sensors, and ergonomics that rival or surpass those of the much higher priced competition from Nikon and Canon. So the bodies are great, and the Pentax lenses - those that are available - are also excellent.

And the best thing of all is, Pentax is the best-priced system available. And really, that's, in my opinion, THE MAIN reason to go with Pentax. If money were no object, I'd probably be using Nikon. Not because (say) the D300 is all that much better than the Pentax K20D (it does not seem to be), but because it's not any worse, there are more Nikon mount lenses available than Pentax mount, and because the Nikon flash system seems to be excellent while the Pentax system is mediocre (P-TTL doesn't work terribly well and the Pentax flash units, which haven't been updated for years, just don't seem to be well designed or well built - unlike the cameras).

I'm a wedding/event photographer. I probably OUGHT to be using Nikon, because flash is really important to me. Pentax with its outstanding primes seems best suited to photographers whose subjects tend to sit still, say, landscapes or even portrait subjects. Or fashion models.

But money is important, to me and probably to you. If I'd gone with Nikon in the first place, I would not have been able to buy all the stuff I have bought for my Pentax system. And to replace what I've got now with Nikon equivalents, well, it ain't gonna happen this year, just way too expensive.

Don't let my talk of Pentax vs Nikon mislead you: There are LOTS of other choices out there. One of our members here recently acquired a Sony A700 and is really enjoying its fast auto-focus. Olympus has some good cameras. Canon, the copier company, makes cameras, too, if I'm not mistaken. It's hard to go way wrong.

The biggest problem is that you have to make a decision - unless you're rich enough to buy 'em all.

Will
06-18-2008, 05:15 AM   #15

QuoteQuote:
One thing: I would not personally bother buying a K200D. Get the K10D instead
I'm not sure if you still get a brand new K10D anywhere. When I bought mine early May, only one store online had it in their stock in the UK. Used and refurbished are available ofcourse...

B&H, Adorama dont seem to have a new K10D in their stock.

Pentax has great history and the future looks bright as well. Go on and make a purchase if it suits your needs.

Good Luck
Cheers
Nish