Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2015, 10:57 AM   #1

Pentax Film Shoot: Advice Needed

Hi guys, my first camera was coincidentally a Pentax point and shoot. I have experience with photography and film on another brand's dslr, but new to the current gen pentax offerings.

I do some film, interviews, corporate addresses etc. And I need to do a shoot with only Pentax DSLRs (requirement) and wanted to get your advice on the setup.

Basically I need 3 cameras, one main camera and 2 cheaper cameras for side shots or quick effects.

I also need a mix and match of Pentax lenses, so the best ones for filming, from wide angle 11mm and up, etc.

The fun thing is I am not really budget constraint for this since it's for a large company, and they own the equipment, so the 645z is definitely a candidate but the problem is when I saw reviews for it for film, they weren't the kindest. The main thing, I don't have experience with Pentax in regards to video, so please pardon my ignorance. The results must be as professional as possible, and I'll be using Premiere, After Effects and a few pro plugins from Red Giant etc. So I want to make it as good as possible. It's a bonus if I can take some corporate, event shots with the equipment as well.

Thanks!

08-13-2015, 11:28 AM   #2
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by pc1x1 Quote
so the 645z is definitely a candidate but the problem is when I saw reviews for it for film, they weren't the kindest.
I should think not, as the 645z is not a film camera. It's digital.
I've moved your thread from the film SLR forum to the DSLR forum.
08-13-2015, 11:38 AM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Parallax Quote
I should think not, as the 645z is not a film camera. It's digital.
I've moved your thread from the film SLR forum to the DSLR forum.
Perhaps the OP means video instead of "film"?
08-13-2015, 11:59 AM   #4
Senior Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
Perhaps the OP means video instead of "film"?
That's my assumption.

08-13-2015, 12:17 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I suggest watching this video

08-13-2015, 01:46 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K3 video mode info:
Pentax K-3 Review - Movie/Video Mode | PentaxForums.com Reviews

11mm wide on a K mount is really asking for a lot. The widest modern rectilinear lens with the Pentax name on it I think is the 12-24 f/4 zoom. The Pentax 10-17 fisheye is another option but it is seriously fishy on the widest end. There are 3rd party lenses and older manual focus lenses that you may be able to get wider.
08-13-2015, 02:28 PM   #7

Original Poster
Haha yea guys, I messaged the Admin to move my thread, had a slight brain fart. Working alot, and coding so brain was off.

@Wired, I had seen that video, where they didn't really praise the 645Z.

The main thing is there isn't alot of information on video for Pentax. So I may just have to do alot of testing and publish my findings, as I think it's under served. But ideally we should go all Pentax.

Anyhow if we can do a few builds i.e 645z + X lens, K3 + Y lens, etc. Even if it's not the best value setup, since it is a requirement to go all Pentax I am open to mixing and matching. But all Cameras must be Ricoh and or Pentax.

08-13-2015, 04:36 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Anyhow if we can do a few builds i.e 645z + X lens, ...
The native digital lenses for the 645D/Z are few. You should have little problem figuring out which ones you want to try. For the legacy glass on the D/Z, there are some better than others with some being excellent for still photography. Don't expect video lens features such as breathing on the zooms because surely that wasn't even a remote design consideration back then.

And then there are a few Pentax 67/6x7 lenses people use on their D/Z to great success. Perhaps visit the Medium Format area to read and view what people have to say. Then find a person with a D/Z you think can give you more pointed answers to specific questions and no doubt tempered with good experience too.
08-14-2015, 07:46 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The native digital lenses for the 645D/Z are few. You should have little problem figuring out which ones you want to try. For the legacy glass on the D/Z, there are some better than others with some being excellent for still photography. Don't expect video lens features such as breathing on the zooms because surely that wasn't even a remote design consideration back then.

And then there are a few Pentax 67/6x7 lenses people use on their D/Z to great success. Perhaps visit the Medium Format area to read and view what people have to say. Then find a person with a D/Z you think can give you more pointed answers to specific questions and no doubt tempered with good experience too.
Ok, I'll take a look and report back. My cousin name is Tuco (nickname), lol. All lens would be the new stuff, as I have to order it now. And we cant buy used etc.
08-14-2015, 09:38 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Haha yea guys, I messaged the Admin to move my thread, had a slight brain fart. Working alot, and coding so brain was off.

@Wired, I had seen that video, where they didn't really praise the 645Z.

The main thing is there isn't alot of information on video for Pentax. So I may just have to do alot of testing and publish my findings, as I think it's under served. But ideally we should go all Pentax.

Anyhow if we can do a few builds i.e 645z + X lens, K3 + Y lens, etc. Even if it's not the best value setup, since it is a requirement to go all Pentax I am open to mixing and matching. But all Cameras must be Ricoh and or Pentax.
that was kinda my point. but they still made it work
08-14-2015, 12:09 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
11mm wide on a K mount is really asking for a lot. The widest modern rectilinear lens with the Pentax name on it I think is the 12-24 f/4 zoom. The Pentax 10-17 fisheye is another option but it is seriously fishy on the widest end. There are 3rd party lenses and older manual focus lenses that you may be able to get wider.
there is the samyang 10mm f2.8 i think.
08-14-2015, 02:34 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by aurele Quote
there is the samyang 10mm f2.8 i think.
True enough. He mentioned needing all Pentax gear and it wasn't clear but I assumed only Pentax branded lenses would be acceptable.
08-14-2015, 02:58 PM   #13
Veteran Member

I think the Samyang lenses even come in Cine version, which is designed for video - T stop instead of F stop, no clicks in aperture ring, focus ring has tracks for follow focus..
I've seen some great videos taken with Pentax gear in the past (K-5, K-01), most recently there is a thread with a music video. Quality looks great. But in all honesty, if you are going to buy into a new system for video, I think you might be better served with going Canon or a Sony video cam or that.. what is it, GH3? While Pentax cameras are okay for video, they take a little more work to get what a demanding user might want, because video doesn't really seem to be a Pentax priority (at the moment).
Otherwise, read up on each camera to see if it has what you need. Do you need mic input? tethering? which codecs and bit rates would you prefer?
08-14-2015, 03:01 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Has anyone compared the video from the K3 and the 645z? That is where I would spend some time deciding if the 645z made the most sense or if the K3 did. Particularly since if you go with all K3's you can swap lenses at will between the bodies.