Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-16-2015, 09:19 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by desertwalker Quote
He asked what camera do I use, "Canon, Nikon?" I told him, "PENTAX" the conversation then ended and he turned and walked away. I was dumbfounded!
Clearly, he wanted to talk/argue about gear, not what you were going to shoot in the park or how to shoot it.

A park ranger at Valley Forge noticed my Pentax camera and said "You don't see many people with Pentax anymore!" We chatted a bit about cameras and crap, but talk centered on technique (like my use of a grad ND filter and in-camera HDR for experiment). I seem to dodge all the hate that others so frequently encounter here. Guess I am lucky.

I have noticed, though, that I draw more attention when I have that huge Sigma lens on the camera. For one, it makes people a lot more suspicious of my intentions. I was nearly thrown out of the 5th Avenue shops for taking photos while my wife shopped. They said it was for competitive reasons, like they don't want people copying the displays. Obviously, it has more to do with them thinking I'm getting paid to shoot on their site but they don't want to admit this. If I wanted to sneak around to copy their stuff, would I use a huge hulking DSLR that can be seen by anyone with 20/50 vision or just use my phone tucked under my arm while I pretend to text? (In fact, my wife snapped several photos of displays with her phone!)

I've seen a lot more distrust of DSLRs in general than brand hate. I've been asked multiple times if I'm getting paid when they see the camera (usually with the Sigma attached...it's big and expensive looking).

---------- Post added 08-16-15 at 10:20 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
I see mostly two cameras. Cameras with Canon sensors and cameras with Sony sensors.
Toshiba makes some of them as well, I believe.

08-17-2015, 05:49 AM   #32
Site Supporter

My own simple poll: I often watch drag racing and know many of the professionals at the track. Most are Canon users with a few Nikons. Among the spectators it's mostly phones or increasingly Ipads. I often see people wearing DSLRs of various sorts but they don't seem to use them much, rather they are items of personal adornment. This fits in with what I've observed on a couple of tourist trips this year so I think Ricoh/Pentax find it very difficult to find a niche in the market which isn't already occupied..
08-17-2015, 06:43 AM   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
so I think Ricoh/Pentax find it very difficult to find a niche in the market which isn't already occupied.
Probably all they need is a good national video ad, a catchy jingle or phrase, some print media support for a few months, plus social media marketing support, and they will will do fine. They've achieved sales success before.

08-17-2015, 07:20 AM   #34
Veteran Member

I have noticed there is a growing pentax community on instagram. I do instagram just for fun (as seen by my low followers number), but I tag my photos as pentax and I have been able to follow some amazing photographers that shoot with pentax (maybe some people on here?) I like going on and seeing what people are doing. There are a lot of pentax collectors on there

08-17-2015, 12:18 PM   #35

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Clearly, he wanted to talk/argue about gear, not what you were going to shoot in the park or how to shoot it.

A park ranger at Valley Forge noticed my Pentax camera and said "You don't see many people with Pentax anymore!" We chatted a bit about cameras and crap, but talk centered on technique (like my use of a grad ND filter and in-camera HDR for experiment). I seem to dodge all the hate that others so frequently encounter here. Guess I am lucky.
Now that is something I just don't understand! Why the "hate"? I really don't believe that there are PENTAX users that are walking up to CANIKON users and asking why they don't use PENTAX? I don't understand the thinking of "You need to use the camera brand, "I" use because it's so much better than what you use!" Who cares what brand you preferr? Use what you like, take good photos, and be happy, and who cares what others think!
08-17-2015, 04:18 PM   #36
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by desertwalker Quote
Now that is something I just don't understand! Why the "hate"? I really don't believe that there are PENTAX users that are walking up to CANIKON users and asking why they don't use PENTAX? I don't understand the thinking of "You need to use the camera brand, "I" use because it's so much better than what you use!" Who cares what brand you preferr? Use what you like, take good photos, and be happy, and who cares what others think!
Because people buy things for the sake of having them. Then they view their purchases as a reflection of themselves. There's been studies done on this. It's particularly bad in video games, where loyalty to Xbox or Playstation is something like a badge of honor in some circles.

I hang out with a group of photographers to shoot cosplay. We never talk about camera brands. We talk a lot about light, though.
08-17-2015, 08:02 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MadMathMind Quote
Because people buy things for the sake of having them. Then they view their purchases as a reflection of themselves. There's been studies done on this. It's particularly bad in video games, where loyalty to Xbox or Playstation is something like a badge of honor in some circles.
I agree. I see so many people wear and/or 'possess' things only because they believe it will give them some type of cachet. It seems to be all about the perceived 'cool' factor.

I belonged to a photo club or two over the past 5-7 years and I eventually didn't bother going to them. With many it was all about having what is perceived to be the latest and greatest in photographic equipment....which of course in their mind could only be either Canon or Nikon.

Some traded their Canon/ Nikon equipment in on Nikon / canon equipment...because they feel that one year Canon has the best stuff...than the next year...well it's Nikon that has the best stuff.

A lot of the stuff they're going for...is equipment designed for pros and very expensive. It's also very expensive switching brands like this.....on a semi regular basis.
08-19-2015, 05:26 AM   #38

And yet here we are bragging about our cameras can use 40 year old glass. (I use it myself sometimes) Obviously we must be doing it wrong.