06-17-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
AF Info in EXIF useful for anything?

AF Predictor : -7
AF Defocus : 5
AF Integration Time : 30 ms
AF Points In Focus : Center (vertical)

Do they mean anything? i can't seem to make sense of those between in focus and out of focus shots, so what to think of those?

AF Predictor : -16
AF Defocus : 11
AF Integration Time : 2 ms
AF Points In Focus : Center (horizontal)

First two are from out of focus shots.

AF Predictor : 0
AF Defocus : 0
AF Integration Time : 24 ms

AF Predictor : -1
AF Defocus : 0
AF Integration Time : 20 ms

and from 2 infocus shots

obviously i am biased towards out of focus shots right now, so i should go and export some more files at random and look at focus after seeing the exif. (need to use pentax lab, as i seem to be lacking info after i export them with my raw developer, maybe i go there first filing a bug)

Last edited by morfic; 06-17-2008 at 07:45 PM.
06-17-2008, 07:46 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Beats me :-) I've found that 1/2 of the exif tabulated in Photo Browser is no longer meaningful once post processed...such as EV compensation. If I add +1 in camera, then + or - something in Photo Lab, that original value is pointless.
06-17-2008, 08:00 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, i did go to try to post the bug about the half baken exif info it exports and low and behold, V1.01 for the K20D makes my raw converter not read .pef files. Let's see how long BibbleLabs takes to fix this. Didn't even notice since i went raw+jpeg on some stuff and only used the jpegs, not the raws.

Well, i only wonder about info of the shot at the time of it being taken, so if PP Adjustments do not update the EXIF info, good.

Just with my raw converter not preserving hte info won't allow me to batch anything to look at more files, and using hte pentax software one at a time.....maybe there is a way to batch with it, i just don't use the hacked up silkypix enough to know
06-17-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by morfic Quote
... low and behold, V1.01 for the K20D makes my raw converter not read .pef files. Let's see how long BibbleLabs takes to fix this.
Oh, so the 1.01 firmware update producese PEF files that Bibble Pro can't read? That's interesting and the first I'd heard. I thought I was married to Lightroom but I'm having a serious affair with Bibble Pro right now (and looking forward to BP 5). So I guess I'll pass on the firmware upgrade for the K20D for the time being.

I see (in the Bibble Pentax forum) that Bibble Labs knows about this, but I don't frequent that forum so I'm grateful you mentioned it here.

Will

06-17-2008, 08:33 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
You may argue once you buy all the plugins Sean Pucket offers the cost of bibble no longer is $129, but they are so useful it's worth a look. At the very least you should like Sharpie's LCE Local Contrast Enhancement, i also like Siggy and Andy (nice B&W film/paper/developer simulation), but those are not the only ones i bought.
You may wonder why i go on with the hijacking of my thread? I am not in the mood to process anymore shots with the pentax software tonight, so i won't know for a while if i do have a pattern on OOF shots or not, because if i could script a sync script that culls all out of focus shots, so i can focus on working on the good ones, and see how salvagable the other ones are later when the good ones are processed. I guess the problem is i'd need to know that at the time of syncing over the .pef files.....hm, nice thought, dead end?

Edit: I'm such a fool, the .pef files can be read by exiftool as well, not sure what made me think it's limited to jpg

Either way, tomorrow i will check more files, if pattern yes/no. Today is over for me, enjoy Bibble Pro, once you can look past the ugly exterior and you finally get to move the tabs around to your liking you will be hooked and not wanna let go
06-18-2008, 01:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

AF Predictor : -16 - could mean the "amount" by which SAFOX thinks it is out of focus.
AF Defocus : 5 - could mean the number of points which are out of focus? Dunno...
AF Integration Time : 30 ms - how long it took it to go into and confirm focus
AF Points In Focus : Center (vertical/horizontal) - self explanatory. V/H specification indicates which part of the cross-type sensor was used - either the horizontal or the vertical line.
06-18-2008, 11:50 AM   #7

The absolute predicted value is linearly related to the defocus value (about correlation 0.98). The calculated time is only related to the processor as far I've understood, in increments of 2 ms.
However the total time between half press and shutter release may take much longer because of the motor speed of the lens/camera.

lock

Last edited by lock2nl; 06-19-2008 at 12:20 AM.
06-18-2008, 06:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lock2nl Quote
The absolute value of the predicted value is linearly related to the defocus value (about correlation about 0.98). The calculated time is only realted to the processor as far I've understood, in increments of 2 ms.
However the total time between half press and shutter release may take much longer because of the motor speed of the lens/camera.

lock
i looked quick and don't see the relationship between the two, but it was a quick look :/

what i really wanna know is if Pentax has info explaining everything it stores in EXIF somewhere or how you know what you know
06-18-2008, 08:11 PM   #9
Pentaxian

You can batch "Extract a JPG" in Photo Browser (not Photo Lab) that is very quick, then "Save the Data List".
06-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by SpecialK Quote
You can batch "Extract a JPG" in Photo Browser (not Photo Lab) that is very quick, then "Save the Data List".
Thanks, good to know, since V1.01 broke support in my raw converter this may be useful, but for the above info i can run all the .pef through the exiftool, just didn't feel like digging more tonight, a quick look and it seem the numbers change more with focal lengths used than with in focus/out of focus states, unless it's that the DoF plays a role in those numbers, so that apparent focus is still maintained, while not so on longer lenghts, i guess i'll know when i get/order the 50-135 next week.