Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
08-17-2015, 08:50 AM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
*ist DS - Firmware Question

I just found my Dad's old *ist DS and an AF-330FTZ flash. The camera has Firmware 1.02 on it which doesn't support SDHC cards. I want to update it to the latest which is 2.02 and I noticed that the firmware is large enough I will need to use a 1GB SD card.

Am I correct in my thinking that ONLY a 1GB or 2GB SD will work? I don't have one with me I'm currently at Dad's about 250 miles from the card. Is there any reason NOT to upgrade? How large of an SDHC will the *ist DS support once the upgrade is made?

Any other words of wisdom are welcomed.

08-17-2015, 09:23 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
I remember that I had to buy a 1Gb SD card to upgrade my *ist because I only had SDHC cards available. And yes, a 2Gb SD card is the maximum the camera will reliably work with before the firmware upgrade. I think the biggest SDHC card I ever tried after the upgrade was an 8Gb, which worked fine. Sadly my *ist is dead now, so I can't try a bigger card to see if it works.

The frame counter only has three digits so will only show 999 maximum shots whatever size card you use, but the camera is still capable of taking more than 999 frames if the card is big enough.

The colour rendering from that 6MP CCD is sublime.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 08-17-2015 at 09:30 AM.
08-17-2015, 09:27 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Dartmoor Dave Quote
I remember that I had to buy a 1Gb SD card to upgrade my *ist because I only had SDHC cards available. I think the biggest SDHC card I ever tried after the upgrade was an 8Gb, which worked fine. Sadly my *ist is dead now, so I can't try a bigger card to see if it works.

The frame counter only has three digits so will only show 999 maximum shots whatever size card you use, but the camera is still capable of taking more than 999 frames if the card is big enough.

The colour rendering from that 6MP CCD is sublime.
I have a K100D Super and the 999 thing is the same. It is also CCD and sometimes I miss shooting it - but since I still own it and a K100D and this *ist DS and a K50 and a K3 old bodies don't get a lot of love... LOL
08-17-2015, 10:34 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Any other words of wisdom are welcomed.
Hi Uncle

I think 2GB is maximum.

To see version, switch OFF, press and hold "Info" + "AE-L" and switch on.
Do the following at your own risk:
iF you want debug mode, within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Press "menu", "menu", "info"
Then you can change "Debug" from "dis" to "EN" (enabled)
Switch off.
At next switch on, > "menu" click across to "setup" pane.
Some debug items are now listed at end of the "setup" items.
That gives the ability to trim the focus point if required.

To disable the debug facility
within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Then you can change "Debug" from "EN" to "dis" (disabled)

Another useful test of the ist ds is a button test, because they can go intermittent.
Within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Then you can select "Switch Test"
All the buttons are listed on the rear lcd and you can test each one.

08-17-2015, 01:32 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by wombat2go Quote
Hi Uncle

I think 2GB is maximum.

To see version, switch OFF, press and hold "Info" + "AE-L" and switch on.
Do the following at your own risk:
iF you want debug mode, within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Then you can change "Debug" from "dis" to "EN" (enabled)
Switch off.
At next switch on, > "menu" click across to "setup" pane.
Some debug items are now listed at end of the "setup" items.
That gives the ability to trim the focus point if required.

To disable the debug facility
within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Then you can change "Debug" from "EN" to "dis" (disabled)

Another useful test of the ist ds is a button test, because they can go intermittent.
Within 5 seconds of the above switch on sequence,
Then you can select "Switch Test"
All the buttons are listed on the rear lcd and you can test each one.
Does that also work on the *istD? I saw someone asking about focus adjustment options on an *istD recently on the forums.
08-17-2015, 01:39 PM   #6
Pentaxian

As far as I can remember, I don't think you can calibrate focus in firmware with the *istD. You can remove the bottom plate and mechanically calibrate by adjusting three screws, but I'm not sure I'd risk it myself.

Last edited by Dartmoor Dave; 08-17-2015 at 02:22 PM.
08-17-2015, 07:27 PM   #7
Pentaxian

I was about to get an Ist DS for 40 bucks on ebay but someone instantly bought it on me.

Could have been confirming for you right now haha.

08-18-2015, 08:23 PM - 1 Like   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
How large of an SDHC will the *ist DS support once the upgrade is made?
I just checked my own *istDS, and I can say that it definitely supports at least a 16 GB SDHC card. With the relatively small files that the DS creates, that translates to many, many, many photos.
08-18-2015, 08:38 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I just checked my own *istDS, and I can say that it definitely supports at least a 16 GB SDHC card. With the relatively small files that the DS creates, that translates to many, many, many photos.
Thanks!
08-19-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My original *istDS is still in service with an M42 adapter mounted (as originally intended) and used with older SM lenses just for fun. It hasn't had any problems to date. Works OK with Eneloops. All firmware updates went smoothly as released. Works fine with 4GB cards which is the largest I can imagine needing with this body.

I find it sort'a inspirational to spend an afternoon messin' around with it once in a while.
08-19-2015, 04:37 PM   #11
Veteran Member

The biggest reason I can think of not to update is the risk of bricking your camera. Three years ago, I got hold of a beautiful *ist DL and after I'd had it a week or so, I decided to update the firmware so it would accept SDHD cards. The update appeared to go fine and when "COMPLETE" showed up on the screen, I turned it off, took the card out, and when I turned it back on again, the meter would work but that's all. I was just sick! A lot of folks on this forum were very supportive and helpful, but in the end there was nothing to but suck it up and replace the camera. But I swore I'd never, ever again try to update the firmware. I kept that vow until yesterday, when I summoned up the courage to update my newly-acquired K-x. Thankfully, this update was successful. Whether it fixed the battery metering issue remains to be seen but at least the camera is still functional. So am I tempted to update my K100D and my K2000? Well, I'm more open to it than I was but I'm still not ready to jump in with both feet. I'll just take it one step at a time...

Last edited by E-man; 08-19-2015 at 04:41 PM. Reason: additional information.
08-19-2015, 09:10 PM - 1 Like   #12
Veteran Member

Well, I can't believe I actually went all the way and did it, but I've now updated the firmware on all three of my cameras. Having done the K-x last night and posted about it above, I just kept thinking about it while I was watching TV and without even really thinking about it, I went ahead and downloaded firmware updates for the K-2000 and the K-100D. Once I actually had the updates in hand, I just got the itch and eventually had to scratch it. I decided I'd just do the K-100D for now since that would add functionality I'd actually use with the capability for it to take SDHD cards and then just save the K2000 for another time since the enhancements in its update were fairly minor.

Watching the progress bar go across on the K-100D's screen, I didn't have quite the same sickening feeling I'd had last night doing the same operation on the K-x, but I was equally relieved when it was done. And with my successes on firmware updates now outweighing my failures 2:1, I decided 'in for a penny, in for a pound', erased the SD card I'd used for the other two updates, loaded the firmware for the K-2000, and let 'er rip. So I'm now three for three on the Pentax DSLR's I presently own and batting 750 overall on firmware updates. My cameras may have a little age on them but they're now as up to date as they can possibly be.
08-20-2015, 10:52 AM   #13
PDL
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tanzer Quote
I updated my old *istDs to each firmware version as it came out. Just before I gave it to my son I put in my 32GB SDHC card. I worked just fine.

Now, if I had the capability to use that card in 2006, I could have stored my entire month long NZ vacation on that one card. (about 2,100 RAW images)

The Elitist - formerly known as PDL
08-20-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Update went fine. I haven't tried a newer card yet but it appears good.

---------- Post added 08-20-15 at 02:25 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by PDL Quote
Still showing as PDL here...
08-20-2015, 10:24 PM - 1 Like   #15
PDL
Pentaxian

The ID of "The Elitist" is a finger in the eye of someone who got a twist in their panties because I used a term to describe end user in the computer help desk area. I have not changed my "official" name, but every time I post, I sort of flip off the ID10T. Just because I can.