Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-17-2008, 08:05 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
"USER" program mode on the K20D

I've been playing with my new K20D for a couple of weeks now and I'm loving it's incredible flexibility. I'm curious how other photographers use the "USER" feature on the program dial.

And I thought my LX was a big step up from my MX...

06-17-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

I generally do NOT use USER mode at all.

I've tried it a couple of times. I don't remember well but I think the times I tried it, I set USER for flash and would switch to a normal mode (which for me usually means M) for available light. But I just didn't see the point.

I will be interested myself to see if somebody else is making USER mode work for them.

Will
06-17-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use the USER mode to memorize settings for whatever I am out for on the day. That allows me to use Av, Tv, P or anything else, and still snap back to the settings I want instantly.
06-17-2008, 08:35 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
I use the USER mode to memorize settings for whatever I am out for on the day. That allows me to use Av, Tv, P or anything else, and still snap back to the settings I want instantly.
I don't understand. Why do you need to snap back instantly to something? Can you give a specific example?

There is almost not kind of shoot where I am not constantly monitoring and frequently changing my settings. My own experience with USER was, if I'm going to keep messing with the settings in full manual mode, I might as well stay there.

Will

06-17-2008, 10:32 PM   #5

Photos: Albums
I've never used this setting on my K10D, but I used to use the 3 user settings on my *istD all the time. Having more than one user setting allowed me to vary the custom settings that would apply. For example one customer used to want all their stuff in SRBG rather than adobe so whenever I shot for them I just selected "user 2". I had different program profiles set for the different "users" too.

The K10D and K20D user mode doesn't save the custom function settings. Therefore it is of no use to me at all. I could see the value if I could save stronger high ISO noise reduction under the user setting for the once in a while that I may want to use this so it is easily selectable.
06-18-2008, 12:24 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Good question...
06-18-2008, 01:18 AM   #7
Veteran Member

I have "user" set to JPEG. It lets me snap to JPG from RAW without going into a menu. TheRAW button is set to RAW+.

I have the camera mode for "User" set to program.

But I almost never use "user", its there if I need it.

06-18-2008, 04:21 AM   #8

I wanted to customize USER for my wife, unfortunately it does not store "Custom setttings" I prefer "Optical preview", she prefer "Live view". I prefer do display Sensitivity by default, she prefer Number of recordable images, etc...
06-18-2008, 05:19 AM   #9

I use "user-mode" for continious shooting, iso 1600 and jpg 10m for shoting my dog in action. So this settings are quick to set into action. RAW for everything else. Cato
06-18-2008, 06:58 AM   #10

Wow, no one uses USER? I use it all the time. Mine's set to Av, Auto ISO up to 1600. I use it for natural-light stuff. That way, Av is still set to Auto ISO up to 400, and I don't have to worry about switching back and forth.

Joe
06-18-2008, 07:12 AM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by joefru Quote
Mine's set to Av, Auto ISO up to 1600.
Interesting - I use it the other way round to quickly have the ISO locked down to 200, to stop it wandering off without me noticing!
06-18-2008, 07:56 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have had a K10D and now a K20D.

What is USER mode?

Does that answer the question.
06-18-2008, 03:07 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Original Poster
USER mode is the green USER written on the program dial on the top left of the camera. It allows you to save certain settings/setup as your own program mode.

I agree that being able to save custom settings as part of this mode would make it MUCH more useful.

I like the idea of using it to lock up or down the ISO, i hadn't thought of that.

I have been thinking of using it for a setup for 'street shooting' but i'd love to incorporate some custom settings as well. I'll play with it this weekend...
06-18-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
Veteran Member

I was being facetious. I've noticed the USER on the dial, but never took the time to explore or understand it. M and sometimes Av work most of the time for me, unless I'm in snapshot mode when I'll use the hyper manual mode or I'm shooting sports when I'll use the Tv mode.

Sounds like something worth looking into. I frequently access the function menu to change into and out of an auto ISO range.
06-18-2008, 05:32 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I can never remember what I set it to, or exactly what it controls (meaning I have to check what it has set and hasn't set), so I end up not using it. I'd like to though!