Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 06:29 AM   #1

Pentax K10D Battery

Hello,

If this is the wrong forum for this please redirect me.

I lost my K10D battery and bought a replacement from Amazon, but while the original battery lasted 2-3 days, this one just a few hours. Can someone please tell me where can I buy original battery for K10 D? I am moving to Paris soon and desperately need to have my camera working. Thanks so much!

08-18-2015, 06:47 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Here's an original branded battery. Far more expensive.

Amazon.com : Pentax D-LI50 Li-Ion Rechargeable Battery for Pentax K10D and K20D Digital SLR Cameras (Retail Packaging) : Camera & Photo
08-18-2015, 07:30 AM   #3
Nia

Original Poster
Thank you esrandall. I also need the charger. Would you know where I could find original charger?
08-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Any D-L150 charger will work just fine. Wasabi makes a popular model, and it's only $15. I use the original pentax model that came with my K-3, and there's no big speed advantage using it to charge. Same speed as my buddy's aftermarket model.

08-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
Nia

Original Poster
esrandall, actually I do have a Wasabi, but it doesn't charge the battery to last for 2-3 days. Is there any possibility that I could find original charger?
08-18-2015, 09:12 AM   #6
Pentaxian

All batteries are different, and I've had no problems using either charger. I think you may have just had a dud of a battery. I would just search for the genuine pentax charger, and see what that gets you. I'm on a phone, so I'll need to back out, find a link, then post it.

---------- Post added 08-18-15 at 09:21 AM ----------

Wasn't able to find a link for that charger. Found one at overstock.com for the D-LI90, but not sure if that would work for the D-LI50. Maybe someone else will chime in with a link for you.
08-18-2015, 09:55 AM   #7
Nia

Original Poster
Ok, I am extremely sorry for being confused.

I still have the original K10D battery, what I've lost is the charger. I got a Wasabi charger as replacement, but it is the charger which is the problem, as the same battery used to get charged for a long time with the original charger, but now with the Wasabi, it shows fully charged and discharges in a few hours. Am I wrong in thinking it is the Wasabi that is the issue?

Last edited by Nia; 08-18-2015 at 10:39 AM.
08-18-2015, 10:39 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Oh, totally opposite of what I thought you were trying for. Like I've said, I've never had an issue with either charger, and I couldn't come up with a link for a replacement. It may be that your battery is old (being that the K10d is an older body) and that a new battery is what you need. I know that batteries have lifespans, and part of that lifespan is degradation in charging ability. I would try a new battery, either original or aftermarket (I've had good results with both) and see if that's the issue. Worst case, you will now have two batteries (always a good thing), and you can always buy a replacement aftermarket charger, or perhaps Ricoh has an original model for purchase. I'm betting it's an old battery that doesn't take a good charge anymore.

Great luck I whatever you choose ☺

08-18-2015, 10:58 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've had good luck with the DSTE brand batteries.
08-18-2015, 01:04 PM   #10

My extra Wassabi battery is not working for me when charged by Pentax charger: same issue. I wonder If I need a Wassabi charger, so I can relate to your predicament.
08-18-2015, 02:43 PM   #11
Pentaxian

The DSTE batteries look good. What I miss is the little plastic cover that use to come with batteries, it would snap on and cover the electrical contacts. When I first got into dsrl itr was with a Canon 350XT and later a Canon 5D. The oem batteries that first came with them had the plastic cover for them. Even a replacement non-oem had the covers. Later when I wanted another Canon oem battery it no longer came with the covers, and all non oem batteries since then were minus the plastic covers. With Pentax neither the oem batteries or off brand come with the covers. I am just ranting here, but those little snap on covers were very useful. Now I wrap each battery in a plastic baggy to store in my bag.
08-18-2015, 05:19 PM   #12
Veteran Member

It looks to me like there may be a couple of issues. When you buy a new battery, it has some charge on it, but you need to charge it before use. Running it all the way down before charging can damage the battery. The manufacturers say to always charge first. I have a Pentax and a generic battery for my K10 and always used the Pentax charger with success. Also, I agree with Wingincamera. I got my plastic battery end cap off a dead Canon battery. Shorting those contacts in your camera bag could be problematic.
08-19-2015, 12:57 AM   #13
Nia

Original Poster
Hello and thank you all for your help.

Esrandall, I am so sorry for the confusion!!

I think I'll buy another battery and see how it goes. Thanks a million. I haven't used my camera because of this issue. But now I am moving to another country and I desperately need it. Thanks again!

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 01:02 AM ----------

Ok so, between this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00598PMY2/ref=pd_luc_rh_sbs_02_02_t_img_lh?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and

http://www.amazon.com/Pentax-Rechargeable-Battery-Digital-Packaging/dp/B000LSHC02

Which one would you go for?

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 01:34 AM ----------

Pentaxus, this started happening right after I got the new charger. So I don't think the battery is the problem. But this is valuable information and I will definitely take care of this with the next one.

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 01:35 AM ----------

Also, please can someone explain what 'aftermarket' is?
08-19-2015, 04:49 AM   #14
Pentaxian

Aftermarket just means "not the original brand". They are almost always cheaper, with quality level varying. You usually pay extra to have the name brand, for whatever reason. Regarding your links, the first link is not for your camera. I actually found a link for the original charger: http://www.pentaxwebstore.com/product/battery-charger-kit-bc50-for-d-li50-batteries

If you want to go for an aftermarket brand like Wasabi, make sure it's for the D-L 50. Something like this : http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Battery-Charger-Pentax/dp/B004CSZN6C
08-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #15
Nia

Original Poster
Thanks esrandall. Which would you recommend- original or Wasabi?