Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-19-2015, 10:46 PM   #1

Where do you trust to buy used gear?

My wife has been bugging me to be her second shooter for weddings. Apparently my K1000 isn't an appropriate camera for the job, so I'm looking at getting a Pentax DSLR so I can swap lenses between the two cameras.
With my budget around $300, I've been tossing between a new K-50 or a used K-5. I'm leaning towards the K-5 because it seems to be a more pro camera, but finding one is a curious process.
I know about KEH, but they don't have one right now. I'm weary of fleabay. I've heard stories of cameras being ripped apart and replaced with cheaper innards.
Are there other great resources for used gear?

08-19-2015, 11:04 PM   #2
Pentaxian

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax and Photo Equipment - PentaxForums.com is a great resource.

If you prefer to buy from a regular dealer, Adorama and B&H photo sell used Pentax gear and have good return policies.
08-19-2015, 11:12 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd look around on the Marketplace. The K-5 classic should still be fairly common second-hand.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-20-2015, 12:36 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/24-photographic-equipment-sale/302036-sal...55-300-wr.html <= here is one

08-20-2015, 12:49 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I've purchased cameras, including the those cameras, here and on ebay. I've been pleased with used Pentax gear from both.
08-20-2015, 01:11 AM   #6
hcc
Pentaxian

You already received a lot of good advice.

My experience has been:
KEH - highly recommended - Conservative assessment of items - A bit pricy but good services

Adorama Used - Recommended - Reasonable choice (although less than KEH IMO) - Good service

B&H Used - Recommended - Less choice than Adorama Used

PF marketplace - Recommended

Ebay - There, I favour reputed Japanese and Korean second dealers - There are some good places, but the prices is not always cheap

I think that the main issue is patience. You have to learn to to be patient. Usually there are always some good deals every 2-3 months, incl. on new items.

My 5 cents.
08-20-2015, 02:23 AM   #7
Pentaxian

I'd go with a new K-50. You're not getting much if anything extra going with the k-5. In fact you're losing focus peaking which is wonderful for the manual lenses you no doubt have.
They both use the same sensor, and are both weather sealed so there's going to be no image quality difference between the two.

Also a warranty is always nice.

But if you do want some used gear I'd trust KEH first over anyone else, best customer service around. Also Ebay is safe, just use common sense and ask here if you're not sure.

Last edited by ZombieArmy; 08-20-2015 at 02:28 AM.
08-20-2015, 05:10 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In addition to above, I've purchased a couple used items from Roberts Camera - 2 battery grips. Both arrived in mint condition. One was the wrong version and there were zero issues getting it returned.
08-20-2015, 05:28 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've bought quite a bit of used equipment from KEH and never been disappointed. Their grading of condition is 100% reliable and as noted, perhaps on the conservative side (equipment in better condition that expected).
08-20-2015, 05:38 AM   #10
Pentaxian

I have purchased used gear from KEH, Ebay, and the Marketplace here in the forum, without any issues. KEH has a very good warranty and return policy and I highly recommend them. I have bought camera bodies from them for my kids and I had to return one that quit working after a couple of months and they were very good. My Marketplace and Ebay purchases have all been lenses and other gear.
08-20-2015, 06:22 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Marketplace, and then the other options mentioned. Keh had some issues for a while but they seem to be resolved.
08-20-2015, 06:30 AM   #12
Veteran Member

I have only used Adorama. I thought they were good. I bought a lens and it literally fell apart, some pin came out so it was hanging off my camera like a slinky. They gave me my money back quickly with no issue
08-20-2015, 07:05 AM   #13

Original Poster
Rad. Thanks for all the quick responses, guys!
Looks like patience wins again. I'll keep on the lookout, and not dismiss the K-50 so quickly if a good deal comes up.
08-20-2015, 10:52 PM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
Well. The gods of craigslist shined their light upon me today. I scored a K5 with standard accesories, extra battery, and ape case for $300. It's in great shape, and super intuitive.
I've only spent a couple hours with my wife's Canon T3 as my first foray into DSLRs, but this K5 seems super easy to use. My wife is a bit jealous as its features rival her 5D MKII.
We're gonna go on a walkabout downtown this weekend to give it a good shakedown. I can't wait!
08-21-2015, 02:15 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Gremson Quote
My wife is a bit jealous as its features rival her 5D MKII.
unless she uses the 85mm f1.2 L or the 135mm f2 L, the K5 rivals the 5D mkII not only on features but also on image quality